NHL/NHLPA is trying to leverage a better TV contract thru lockout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How would losing sponsors make getting a better TV deal more plausable?

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Given what a horrible idea that is--I have no doubt Bettman and Goodnow are working that angle.

"Say Gary, how about we stop playing altogether, piss off all our fans in North America and wait until ESPN drops us."

"Bob, that is pure genius. Let's do just that." :shakehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
raketheleaves said:
Think about it. Networks are losing ad revenue (much more so in Canada). Do you think the NHL is leveraging for a better TV deal ( not to mention the added exposure) in all of this?

Ad revenue is going to be based on the number of people watching. Right now the NHL-PA are lowering that potential by the day.

B&G "We want a contract that is twice as big."
TV "But only the players mum's are watching the games any more...."
B&G "Look here, I said we want a contract that is twice as big!"
TV "Our offer is $2.50 but I think we can stretch to the full three dollars."

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
me2 said:
Ad revenue is going to be based on the number of people watching. Right now the NHL-PA are lowering that potential by the day.

B&G "We want a contract that is twice as big."
TV "But only the players mum's are watching the games any more...."
B&G "Look here, I said we want a contract that is twice as big!"
TV "Our offer is $2.50 but I think we can stretch to the full three dollars."
:lol

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
raketheleaves said:
Think about it. Networks are losing ad revenue (much more so in Canada). Do you think the NHL is leveraging for a better TV deal ( not to mention the added exposure) in all of this?
Why would any channel in their right mind pay more money for a sport most people don't care about and is losing fans everyday of the lockout?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
raketheleaves said:

Did you attend Hollywood Upstairs Negotiating School with Bettman?

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
Since a cap would limit bigger market teams competitiveness (arguable by how much of course), of whom have bigger media markets then I doubt it.

But of course if they want to rethink the whole contract approach and begin looking at a wider US television footprint by possibly spreading out the stars more evenly across the league, than maybe?

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I think once the NHL loses ESPN money and loads of other sponsors, the die hard NHL fan will be more happy. Player costs will drop tremendously, as will tickets and ****** markets might disappear as well.

To me that makes the entire lockout worth it if we can get back to the glory days of the 80s and early 90s. Its almost like Bettman is undoing everything he did to ruin our game in the first place. I dont think that was his plan, but I like it.

Maybe thats what Bob is aiming at, even though he is screwing over players in the long run and fans in the short run, he might just save the sport by de-evolving the "progress" its made in the last decade.

I am Jack's Fish

Trying to get a better TV deal by having a lock-out is like cutting off your head to get rid of wrinkles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad