NHL & NHLPA Disgraced Gretzky & Lemieux

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Gary Bettman isn't the puppeteer, he's just a face for the greedy rich owners to throw out for lies and distortion. The NHL's plan to win total majority backing was destroyed this week after Bettman allowed his eight single minded owners to throw the Royalty of "The Great One" and "Super Mario" into a burning pit of greed.

The problem in hockey is the uneducated media covering a business dispute and the missing links in this process is so glaring, it is so obvious both sides are "sleeping" with the media.

You had Larry Brooks ripping into the league, forwarding the NHLPA's press releases during his daily columns or those buffoons in Boston thinking Jeremy Jacobs has been out of the mix during these negotiations.

I was told this deal was done, the NHLPA told players and agents to be prepared for an announcement on Saturday, I was told teams were to be prepared to hold another press conference and what happened was greed got into the way by a long dirty laundry list of owners who want to break the union by holding out for a hard cap linkage system with the elimination of arbitration, major reductions in Qualifying Offers, forcing entry-level contracts to a base salary and minimal performance bonus.

This week, not only did selfish unknowledgeable hockey players flush their money down the toilet but greedy impasse-oriented owners went for the throat by throwing the sport's two greatest players into the town square for public display of power over anyone who tried to get into their way.

Fans whine that they deserve better, no Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky deserved much better.

A Good Flying Bird*

EricBowser said:
Gary Bettman isn't the puppeteer, he's just a face for the greedy rich owners to throw out for lies and distortion. The NHL's plan to win total majority backing was destroyed this week after Bettman allowed his eight single minded owners to throw the Royalty of "The Great One" and "Super Mario" into a burning pit of greed.

The problem in hockey is the uneducated media covering a business dispute and the missing links in this process is so glaring, it is so obvious both sides are "sleeping" with the media.

You had Larry Brooks ripping into the league, forwarding the NHLPA's press releases during his daily columns or those buffoons in Boston thinking Jeremy Jacobs has been out of the mix during these negotiations.

I was told this deal was done, the NHLPA told players and agents to be prepared for an announcement on Saturday, I was told teams were to be prepared to hold another press conference and what happened was greed got into the way by a long dirty laundry list of owners who want to break the union by holding out for a hard cap linkage system with the elimination of arbitration, major reductions in Qualifying Offers, forcing entry-level contracts to a base salary and minimal performance bonus.

This week, not only did selfish unknowledgeable hockey players flush their money down the toilet but greedy impasse-oriented owners went for the throat by throwing the sport's two greatest players into the town square for public display of power over anyone who tried to get into their way.

Fans whine that they deserve better, no Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky deserved much better.

Come on. I know you're angry. I'm angry.

But how are these guys get disgraced?
Anyone who is paying attention knows they gave it a shot. (I wish they'd gotten involved earlier, but you know, with Bettman's $1M fine, it wasn't going to be easy to stir up pressure in the media.)

Anyway, the guys I feel sorry for (Outside of rink workers, bar owners and fans) are the guys like Steve Yzerman, who deserve that little tour around the league, with fans saying goodbye.
Now, I know a lot of fans in Florida and Nashville and Carolina don't know who Yzerman is, but it would be nice to see the reception he gets in cities like Vancouver, Toronto, etc.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Newsguyone said:
Anyway, the guys I feel sorry for (Outside of rink workers, bar owners and fans) are the guys like Steve Yzerman, who deserve that little tour around the league, with fans saying goodbye.
Now, I know a lot of fans in Florida and Nashville and Carolina don't know who Yzerman is, but it would be nice to see the reception he gets in cities like Vancouver, Toronto, etc.

Then they should have fought for a season, rather than remain aloof and saying they "were fighting for the young guys". Even if I didn't see through that bs, I would wonder why, if they truly wanted a goodbye tour, they didn't use their clout to help in negotiations on the players side.

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
Newsguyone said:

They got disgraced because one side leaked out that they were going to be involved, hoping that it would create enough pressure on the other for a deal. When that wasn't the case, two guys who had hoped to be participating quietly had to come out and try to explain what went wrong. In a meeting that was pure embarrassment unless it meant a new deal, two legends got left holding their d*cks in the wind, all at the expense of futhering an agenda.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Newsguyone said:

Anyone who is paying attention knows they gave it a shot. (I wish they'd gotten involved earlier, but you know, with Bettman's $1M fine, it wasn't going to be easy to stir up pressure in the media.)

Please list all the owners fined $1 million by the league. In fact, list all the owners fined, period.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->