NHL Network

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
So there will or won't be many live games on this channel? I had been thinking of getting Center Ice this year, but if I can just get NHL Network for the cost of a satellite channel, I may go that route.

Thibaj

Aug 5, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
How much does this channel cost in Canada?

The channel alone is 1,50$ a month on Illico (Videotron). I have it for 1$ in fact because I took the "30 channels for 30$" where you can take almost any network/station you like. Last year, this channel gave us 26 regular season games, around 10 pre-season games, 2 or 3 playoffs games, some replays of NHL games that were aired on TSN couple of hours before, ECHL and NCAA games, the daily NHL on the fly during the season, and lot of replays of the daily show called "That's Hockey", a higlights show.

Having all that for 12 $ a year (and you can have it for less if you cut the channel during the summer...) and still some people are saying that it is not worth it? I don't get it. When you think that some people are paying 10$ for a single game on PPV in Vancouver...

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
NBA TV was started in 1999. NFL Network started in 2003. It is 2006 and the NHL can barely get on TV in the US. They need a fulltime NHL Network in the US. One that anybody can turn on anytime and see hockey related programming. It can only help build interest.

It reveals just how badly the financing has been for the league that they couldn't get this done any sooner. NFL Network is owned and operated by that league. NBA TV is financed by that league. The NHL had to partner up with multiple ownership just to get an NHL Network on in CANADA. That's a no-brainer that the league either could not, or would not, do on its own. Just by looking at it this way, you can see how far away the NHL is from being able to compete with those leagues.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Any updates on what cable/dish companies will carry this and when?

if I recall correctly when the OLN thing was anounced Bettman was saying that part of the deal was that comcast bring on the NHL network as well, I'm almost certain that comcast had to give that in to get the NHL on its little OLN channel. He sounded "confident' that it would happen for the 2006-07 season however it could come later. Sounds like we don't get it this next maybe next.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
NBA TV was started in 1999. NFL Network started in 2003. It is 2006 and the NHL can barely get on TV in the US. They need a fulltime NHL Network in the US. One that anybody can turn on anytime and see hockey related programming. It can only help build interest.

It reveals just how badly the financing has been for the league that they couldn't get this done any sooner. NFL Network is owned and operated by that league. NBA TV is financed by that league. The NHL had to partner up with multiple ownership just to get an NHL Network on in CANADA. That's a no-brainer that the league either could not, or would not, do on its own. Just by looking at it this way, you can see how far away the NHL is from being able to compete with those leagues.

This couldn't have been any better said than it was. Its bang on.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago

NBA TV just became available on Cablevision six months ago, NFL Network isn't on the radar, I don't believe NHL Network is as far behind as you think.

Flyers12FROM21*

well, idk where you guys are at...but...here in south jesrey, they took two channels away from us basic cable ppl...the CMT channel AND espn Classic, so..why not put NHL Network there?

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
The NFL Network is actually going to put itself back by airing regular season games.

Comcast ain't too happy that the league rejected OLN, and they own 1 of every 4 cable customers.

NBA TV is barely on yet. It's in a special package you gotta pay for.

MLB doesn't have a TV channel at all.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Some of you guys must have bad providers, but that is another issue. NFL Network has been on DirecTV since day one and NBA TV has been on there for years, probably dating back to its launch as well.

NBA TV is in 45 million homes now. NFL Network is in 50 million homes. How many is the NHL Network in for the US? Zero homes that you can count since the only people getting it would be those with grey-market Bell Expressvu systems.

It's not about whether the channel is in a special tier. The NHL Network almost assuredly will be in the same exclusive, or even more exclusive, tier as/than NFL Network and NBA TV are.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
What I'm curious about is whether or not the NHL Network (if it ever gets off the ground) will be included to all "Center Ice" subscribers.

The NFL Network is included with the "NFL Sunday Ticket" package, or the DirecTV Sport package if you get that.

Hopefully, it is something along those lines as I would love to have more hockey coverage (even if it was slanted toward the Canadian teams).

BTW -- OLN was showing "On The Fly" from TSN during the playoffs this past season. It usually came on about 12:00 a.m. or 1:00 a.m. after all the games had been played (however, it never was on at a consistent time).

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
DirecTV includes NFL Network in their lowest regular package, the Total Choice package.

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
Last season Comcast had the NHL Network's NHL On The Fly program in the On Demand section.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
What I'm curious about is whether or not the NHL Network (if it ever gets off the ground) will be included to all "Center Ice" subscribers.

The NFL Network is included with the "NFL Sunday Ticket" package, or the DirecTV Sport package if you get that.

Hopefully, it is something along those lines as I would love to have more hockey coverage (even if it was slanted toward the Canadian teams).

BTW -- OLN was showing "On The Fly" from TSN during the playoffs this past season. It usually came on about 12:00 a.m. or 1:00 a.m. after all the games had been played (however, it never was on at a consistent time).

On the Fly Final is from NHL Network, not TSN. It was on nightly at 1 am each and every night and will be during the season once the NHL Net launches into the US.

puckhead103*

You're posting on a forum filled with rabid hockey fans, and you can't figure out why people would like the NHL Network?

:shakehead
i guess u didn't read the reasons why the nhl network sucks.......

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
i guess u didn't read the reasons why the nhl network sucks.......

Actually, all of the things you mentioned are things I would enjoy watching, and would like to see.

I'll stand by my original post, thank you. Hockey fans would like the NHL Network.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad