NHL Network

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
72projectmgr said:
OLN in most US states and Comcast is carrying it in PA and the action starts Tomorrow. Enjoy

Satelite CBC or TSN (Canada)

OLN isnt going to convert there entire channel to a 24 hour NHL Network.

RTWAP*

FLYLine88 said:
OLN isnt going to convert there entire channel to a 24 hour NHL Network.
What we have here, folks, is what you call a misunderstanding.

Poster #2 thought poster #1 was asking if there was a network that covered the NHL in the U.S. The rest of us are assuming poster #1 was asking about THE NHL Network(tm), not an NHL network.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Well, aside from the misunderstanding, I'm going to sort of go off-topic here and ask the other question...

Is THE NHL Network going to be available in the US at some point? Or is it just going to be a Canadian thing. I don't know of any cable providers that carry it. If anyone does, a response would be great.

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
GretzNYR99 said:
Well, aside from the misunderstanding, I'm going to sort of go off-topic here and ask the other question...

Is THE NHL Network going to be available in the US at some point? Or is it just going to be a Canadian thing. I don't know of any cable providers that carry it. If anyone does, a response would be great.

I don't know of any providers, but I know the NHL announced that the NHL Network would come to the U.S. this fall.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Drop The Gloves said:
I don't know of any providers, but I know the NHL announced that the NHL Network would come to the U.S. this fall.

According to the articles when the OLN deal was announced, Comcast is contractually obligated to launch within 24 months. It would only make sense if they did launch in the US this fall from a timing perspective.

flyershockey81

Apr 30, 2004
there is a rumor going around that its going to be up and running when preseason starts.

here's funny story, NBC will not let ESPN use there feed to do highlights or recaps of finals so what nhl i doing is that they have there own sent to espn and this feed is supposly a test poilt for the new nhl network

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
flyershockey81 said:
there is a rumor going around that its going to be up and running when preseason starts.

here's funny story, NBC will not let ESPN use there feed to do highlights or recaps of finals so what nhl i doing is that they have there own sent to espn and this feed is supposly a test poilt for the new nhl network

Source? Its my understand NHL Network in US will be pretty much 95% the same feed as NHL Network that currently airs in Canada.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
flyershockey81 said:

ESPN used the NBC feed for their highlights. Not sure what you are talking about.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
A few years back, DirecTV announced they were bringing the NHL Network to the states in a press release. It never happened, and eventually they pulled the press release off of their website after trying to deny ever releasing it. The whole truth about that fiasco has never fully come out, as far as I know.

I hope that Comcast plays nice with the satellite providers and gets NHL Network on them, as well as any cable company that wants it. They've been rat ******** when it comes to these types of matters in the past and it will hurt everyone if they play games with this.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
A few years back, DirecTV announced they were bringing the NHL Network to the states in a press release. It never happened, and eventually they pulled the press release off of their website after trying to deny ever releasing it. The whole truth about that fiasco has never fully come out, as far as I know.

I hope that Comcast plays nice with the satellite providers and gets NHL Network on them, as well as any cable company that wants it. They've been rat ******** when it comes to these types of matters in the past and it will hurt everyone if they play games with this.

Comcast doesn't own the NHL Network. They've just agreed to carry it on its cable system according to the press releases that came out at the time of NHL/OLN TV deal.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Comcast doesn't own the NHL Network. They've just agreed to carry it on its cable system according to the press releases that came out at the time of NHL/OLN TV deal.

True, Comcast owns 0% of NHL Network in Canada. I could see them owning part of the US version ... even if the US version is 80% same programming as Canadian version.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
If its the same coverage shown on the NHL Network in Canada I really think its a waste. Its not a bad channel in the offseason showing classic games and past drafts but during the season IMO their brutal. The main show is NHL on the Fly and it use to go from like 7pm et to like 11:30 pm et and then last year it went from like 9 pm et to 11:30 pm et and its really supposed to be live coverage from all the games going on but its maybe 1-2 min per game and thats it and you might get 30 min of live game action in total if that. Also they show lots of player interviews pregame and thats ok but the problem is they show it multiple times throughout the show when they could easily show more live game action.

However they did pick up some games during the season it might have been 12 games that was good but Im hoping they can show more games and fix their coverage or else I dont need it

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
If its the same coverage shown on the NHL Network in Canada I really think its a waste. Its not a bad channel in the offseason showing classic games and past drafts but during the season IMO their brutal. The main show is NHL on the Fly and it use to go from like 7pm et to like 11:30 pm et and then last year it went from like 9 pm et to 11:30 pm et and its really supposed to be live coverage from all the games going on but its maybe 1-2 min per game and thats it and you might get 30 min of live game action in total if that. Also they show lots of player interviews pregame and thats ok but the problem is they show it multiple times throughout the show when they could easily show more live game action.

However they did pick up some games during the season it might have been 12 games that was good but Im hoping they can show more games and fix their coverage or else I dont need it

Hey have you seen the coverage in the U.S.? There are virtually no interviews, highlights or scores even shown on ESPN or any other channel. I would be very happy with that!!

Most avid hockey fans in the U.S. have to get NHL Center Ice to get the games this is more for the extras...not the games themselves.

Last edited:

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area

How would what you've described here be "a waste" on national US television (or even elsewhere)?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Hey have you seen the coverage in the U.S.? There are virtually no interviews, highlights or scores even shown on ESPN or any other channel. I would be very happy with that!!

Most avid hockey fans in the U.S. have to get NHL Center Ice to get the games this is more for the extras...not the games themselves.

Someone streamed it to me, and all they did was talk predominantly about the Canadian teams. If they don't adapt the channel to more universal (in terms of teams) the channel will bomb really badly here.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Someone streamed it to me, and all they did was talk predominantly about the Canadian teams. If they don't adapt the channel to more universal (in terms of teams) the channel will bomb really badly here.

If they're going to launch a channel for North American audiences it will be for all the league, not just the Canadian teams. Time will tell though.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005

You have to remember there has to be legal limitations to what they can and cannot due to existing contracts. Give them a chance to work everything out. Part of the "taped" or "repeat" issues might be a financial issue. Just an idea. I hope we hear something soon on a fall launch.

puckhead103*

nhl network sucks

i don't know why all the people here think nhl network is cool......

they play the same old vintage hockey games again and again....

how many times u have to watch game 2 between the flames/oilers in '88 where gretzky scored in ot....

they suck......u should save some money and buy bootleg...:D

ohiohabsfan

Jan 5, 2004
Ohio
Visit site

That would be fine with me. We have OLN and ESPN who don't talk at all about the Canadian teams. This would give us some balance.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton

You have a good point Im mean here its hockey hockey and more hockey and down there its not even on the map and If I was in the U.S. Id probably get the NHL Network in that case

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I would love to have the NHL Network exactly like it is in Canada. If it has to drop the primary emphasis on Canadian-based teams, I can accept that. If it is US-centric, I will be disappointed.

We have an NFL Network 24/7, and there is an NBA TV network that is 24/7. If the NHL wants to think of itself as being amongst those leagues, they need an NHL Network on 24/7 in the states.

kira

Mar 13, 2003
www.datsyuk13.com
Visit site
I would give anything to be able to swap the NBA or the NFL channels out for NHL. I don't watch football and could care less about basketball, so if I could dump those two and get the NHL Network, I'd be happy.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Any updates on what cable/dish companies will carry this and when?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->