News Article: NHL Network Top 20 Centers (4: Matthews, 10: Tavares)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm with you man, I've asked the same question in the past and have been met with silence. Someone, I assume a human has to count, no? What makes their eyes better than others?
I'd assume the fact they're making very easy determinations that aren't up to much discretion.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What defines a "high danger scoring chance"?

A shot attempt taken from a defined area close to the net. Yeah, some will get blocked or you'll tell me a Laine point shot is more dangerous than stuffing the puck into the goalie's pad from a foot out, but that area represents where the majority of goals are scored from and the outliers even out over the course of a season.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
This is why advanced stats are junk. Who counts "shots directed towards the net"? Who determines "shot quality" and how much that is "adjusted"?

Subjective non-sense.
To each their own I guess but, advanced stats provide a more precise understanding of the broader game.

It allows us the ability to attain a level of insight into a team or player that can't be gleaned from sporadic viewings.

The numbers can see every game and provide a better idea of how a certain team or player is doing than by going off past viewings, hearsay, the odd shift, or, worst of all, reputation.

The more statistics that are available, and the better those statistics are at measuring value, the better the insight. That's why some advanced stats are better than goals, assists, plus-minus, etc.

They get you closer to an all-encompassing understanding of a game in a sport that tends to be dictated by selective viewing.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
As opposed to the eye-test, right?
:laugh: :sarcasm:
Ahhhh the eye-test.

The eye test isn't sufficient for analyzing a fast-moving game like hockey. Far too much going on at far too fast a pace for any one individual to easily track and store the information they're seeing.

Watching the game can give us information but it can't get us all the way there. Our preconceived notions, biases, and our inability to capture everything that happens make the eye test imperfect as a means of evaluating performance.

There needs to be an objective layer. That is the beauty of what analytics provide.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Matthews stats do not put him at #4OA among centres. He hasn't broken 70 points yet nor 30 assists in a single season.

So this list is projecting him based on potential, and heavily weighted on his goal scoring particularly at ES 5v5.

1. He was on pace for 84 pts this year & he only had about 18 minutes of ice time.
2. Project that to 82 games with McDavids ice time & he was on pace for 100 points.

Not saying he would get 100 points in that situation....but he'd probably get 90+.

Last edited:

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Our coach artificially brings-down our players' stats. No other coach does that. Marner wasn't even a full season top 6 player and he got 69 points.

- TBH I'm happy Babs has done this up until now.
- But at this point - I want the big 3 signed long term - and I want Babs let them loose with Tavares.
- Babs should keep Kappy & Johnsson's stats down this season instead.
- Then hopfully sign them to Hyman type deals & move them up the lineup.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->