News Article: NHL Network Top 20 Centers (4: Matthews, 10: Tavares)

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
The list tells me three things:

1: There is an abundance of great centre ice men in the league, which makes it fun to watch.

2: It’s so nice not having to wait past 30 on a list like this for a leaf to show up.

3: Arbitrary rankings are really important to some people.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Reading the salt on the main boards is epic lmao.

I wish there was a way to block those losers from watching leafs games. It’s so damn funny that they hate the leafs so much but are obsessed with us.

I take it as a compliment to our current situation.
Usually people get the most triggered when theres alot of truth in what's being said.
The fact so many people flood Matthews/Tavares/Leafs threads and proceed to hilariously underrate our players/team shows just how good of a thing we have going.
If people didnt believe we were that much of a threat they wouldnt spend so much time trying to downplay everything Leafs related.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Took a little time to see how I would rank them

Disclaimer: I think Eichel, Barkov and Kuznetsov find themselves in the top 5-10 sooner rather than later. I think you can make an argument for any of Seguin/Tavares/Scheifele to be interchangable. Matthews to me eventually eclipses Bergeron and Kopitar but Kopitar was outstanding last year, and Bergeron's obvious and huge impact means more than the slight offensive advantages that Matthews/Seguin/Tavares/Scheifele bring as of today IMO.

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Malkin
4. MacKinnon
5. Kopitar
6. Bergeron
7. Matthews
8. Seguin
9. Tavares
10. Scheifele
11. Barkov
12. Kuznetsov
13. Backstrom
14. Stamkos
15. Eichel
16. Barzal
17. Getzlaf
18. Couturier
19. Draisaitl
20. Point

I'd move Seguin back behind Kuznetsov, but I think it's good overall :)

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
I'd move Seguin back behind Kuznetsov, but I think it's good overall :)
I'm glad you're on the Kuzy hype train. I really think the way he can handle the puck at high speeds out the defensive zone into the O-Zone is almost like a poor man's McDavid, he's really good and keeps getting better. Seguin I gave the edge because of the body of work, but plenty of guys that are lower on the list I think have the talent to move up shortly, I.e Draisaitl, Barzal, Eichel, and Point. Even Sean Couturier is only 24 or 25 I see no reason for him to not be that Bergeron Lite replacement when its all said and done.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Matthews
4. Tavares
5. Malkin
6. McKinnon

Malkin was 4th in NHL scoring with 98 points and Mackinnon 5th OA with 97 points in only 74 games.

Do you believe Matthews and Tavares are both 100 point players ?

IF JT resigned with NYI would you still have > Malkin ?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
My top-20 (22) as of today (all based on the last two years only).

Although it might not be popular, I rate it based on PPG, P60, PPP60, rel.CF%, rel.xGF%, comp, and zone starts. I come up with one "WAR"-like number to take it into account, while also using personal opinion of their situations as well as other fun things. Enjoy:

1. McDavid - Elite, all around, best player in hockey not close. Medium zone starts, and tough comp.
-
2. Crosby - Normally would be the best player, but McDavid is literally a god. Only weakness is his easy af zone starts.
-
3. Backstrom - Underrated star. Sterling underlying stats, hard comp, and puts up points as well as the rest of them.
4. Bergeron - Best defensive forward in the NHL that is also producing.
5. Malkin - superstar at scoring, meh underlying stats, and arguably the easiest comp/zone starts of any player on the list.
-
6. Barkov - Some of the best underlying stats, great at scoring (/60's took a hit because he plays soooo many minutes), medium comp, hard zone starts.
7. Tavares - Excellent scorer (worse than Matthews), great underlying stats, but easy AF comp/zone starts.
8. Getzlaf - 5v5 scoring for days, above average on the PP, great underlying stats, easyish comp, but medium zone starts.
9. Matthews - One of the best scorers on the list/60, both 5v5 (5th) and PP (7th). decent (not great) underlying stats, relatively easy comp/zone starts but not charmin soft.
10. Scheifele - Great 5v5 scorer, meh PP scorer. Decent rel.CF%, good rel.xGF%, and above average comp & zone starts.
11. MacKinnon - Great 5v5, very good PP, and great underlying stats. Tough comp/zone starts. Guy probably should be in the tier above, or at least higher, but I need to see him do 2 seasons first.
-
12. Kopitar - Same as MacK, terrible 2 seasons ago, great this past season. Basically Barkov level last year, and not on this list 2 years ago.
13. Stamkos - Stats say 3rd best /60 5v5 scorer, and best /60 PP scorer. decent underlying stats, and charmin soft comp/ZS. Probably is in tier above, but I think he's riding Kuch's coattails.
14. Eichel - Matthews, except scores much less 5v5, and a little less on the PP.
15. Barzal - Toughest placement for me. Guy's season last year had him ranked #2 on my "model". He's essentially McDavid, with better underlying stats, but much easier comp. I need to see a 2nd year of his without Tavares and him getting real minutes.
16. Kuznetsov - Malkin-lite. Great at scoring (not as good as Malkin), bad underlying stats, and arguably the easiest comp/zone starts of anyone on the list.
17. Couturier - Arguably the best defensive forward in the NHL, that found out he can score. If he does what he did last season again, he's a top-10 C very easily.
18. Seguin - Weak 5v5 numbers, great on the PP, underwhelming underlying stats, tough comp/zone starts.
-
19. Kadri - Honestly, he should probably be higher. Same P60 (5v5) as Tavares, only behind Stamkos, Malkin, Backstrom, Seguin, Crosby at PPP60. meh underlying stats, but faces the hardest comp/zone starts of anyone on this list.
20. O'Reilly - Bad 5v5 scorer, above average PP scorer. Some of the best underlying numbers and toughest comp. Aka great defensively, good offensively.
21. Johansen - Not the greatest scorer 5v5 or the PP. Great underlying numbers, and tough comp/zone starts.
22. Trochek - He really should be higher, but has only had one season. He also plays ridiculous minutes like Barkov, so it hurts his /60. Good underlying stats, decent comp, and hard zone starts. I expect him to move up.
-
HM: Toews, Staal, Draisaitl, Carter, Point, Zibby, Duchene, Couture, Monahan

I dunno if this list is better than the OP, tbh.

and Backstrom is not the 3rd best center in the league, imo.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
the xgf stat i am using their is Expected Goals For Percentage Relative to Team.

so they take all shots directed towards each net, adjust for shot quality, see how many a player is on the ice for compared to against, and then compare that to how his teammates fare.
This is why advanced stats are junk. Who counts "shots directed towards the net"? Who determines "shot quality" and how much that is "adjusted"?

Subjective non-sense.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is why advanced stats are junk. Who counts "shots directed towards the net"?

people who watch the games very closely. like with all stats.

Who determines "shot quality" and how much that is "adjusted"?

Subjective nonsense.

there are differing methods, but they're all based on objective criteria such as shot distance, type, etc.

it is adjusted according to league-wide conversion rates on shots of that specific criteria.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
people who watch the games very closely. like with all stats.

there are differing methods, but they're all based on objective criteria such as shot distance, type, etc.

it is adjusted according to league-wide conversion rates on shots of that specific criteria.
People still have to watch and rate all of this stuff. Not buying what you're selling.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
This is why advanced stats are junk. Who counts "shots directed towards the net"? Who determines "shot quality" and how much that is "adjusted"?

Subjective non-sense.

As opposed to the eye-test, right?

Reactions: Morgs

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
After some thought and a little research on this list, i like it. Matthews deserves the 4 slot actually when you consider the whole package he brings.

He'll probably even challenge McDavid for the top spot on the list with a couple injury free seasons, more ice time and a cup win under his belt. ;))

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Where’s Drouin ?

What's worse is the exclusion of Danault.

My list (age/potential is a factor):

01. McDavid
02. Crosby
03. Malkin (argument to make that Malkin has been better than Crosby the last two years)
04. Kopitar
05. Scheifele
06. Matthews
07. MacKinnon
08. Bergeron
09. Tavares
10. Stamkos
11. Seguin
12. Barkov
13. Eichel
14. Kuznetsov
15. Backstrom
16. Draisaitl
17. Barzal
18. W. Karlsson
19. Getzlaf
20. Couturier
21. Point
22. Kadri

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Reading the salt on the main boards is epic lmao.

I wish there was a way to block those losers from watching leafs games. It’s so damn funny that they hate the leafs so much but are obsessed with us.
I hope they watch every game this year :)

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
People still have to watch and rate all of this stuff. Not buying what you're selling.
I'm with you man, I've asked the same question in the past and have been met with silence. Someone, I assume a human has to count, no? What makes their eyes better than others?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm with you man, I've asked the same question in the past and have been met with silence. Someone, I assume a human has to count, no? What makes their eyes better than others?

I'm sure if you watched every game and tracked every incident for every player then your eye test would be as valuable as theirs.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I'm sure if you watched every game and tracked every incident for every player then your eye test would be as valuable as theirs.
Likely, but who are these bean counters? Is it always the same person? What's the percent error? How acurate is the data they produce?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Likely, but who are these bean counters? Is it always the same person? What's the percent error? How acurate is the data they produce?

what kind of person you think voluntarily does a job like that?

lazy stupid people?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->