News Article: NHL Network Top 20 Centers (4: Matthews, 10: Tavares)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
4th is higher than i would've ranked him, but he does have a case for it. he's probably the best center at 5v5 not named McDavid, and simply hasn't been given reasonable PP time through no fault of his own. his goal scoring and primary point production is definitely among the best of the best as well

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
So MacKinnon has a very good season after putting up a career average of like 60 points a year and now he is a top 5 center in the world?

I don't know, might need to give it another year.

He was amazing last year but we don't know if that was an outlier or an indication of things to come.

Edit: JT is rated too low as well.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1. Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers
2. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
4. Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs
5. Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche
6. Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings
7. Mark Scheifele, Winnipeg Jets
8. Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
9. Tyler Seguin, Dallas Stars
10. John Tavares, Toronto Maple Leafs
11. Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
12. Evgeny Kuznetsov, Washington Capitals
13. Aleksander Barkov, Florida Panthers
14. Nicklas Backstrom, Washington Capitals
15. Jack Eichel, Buffalo Sabres
16. Mathew Barzal, New York Islanders
17. William Karlsson, Vegas Golden Knights
18. Sean Couturier, Philadelphia Flyers
19. Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks
20. Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton Oilers

No Kadri ?

i keed.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ho boy, the mains aren't going to like this list..
Just finished reading the main board thread.

It was glorious. My favorite thing to do on HFBoard is read the reactions when a Leaf player actually gets ranked properly by EXPERT and not sour haterrs.

Now on Matthews being #4 - the experts are clearly well aware that his usage last year went far below what he's actually capable of. He's been the best 5 on 5 goal scorer since coming into the league (one of the best ES point producers altogether actually), got disgustingly low PP time. Put these things where they should be and he most likely out-produces everyone he's ahead of on that list.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I guess if they are taking future into account. Sure.
If it’s now I would say

Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Kopitar
Bergeron
Matthews
Mackinon (has had a bunch of 60 pt season)
Scheifele
Tavares
Barkov
Seguin

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Huh on Karllsson being there. Good luck to him having a almost 25% shooting percentage again. One hit wonder I'm thinking.

I don't agree with lots of this list. I would rank Matthews a little lower and Tavares a little higher also

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wow is William karlsson now incredibly overrated. One season of good play with a ridiculously high shooting % and you’re a top 20c in the league? He has seasons of 20 and 25 points befor this one POINTS!! Nylander has more goals in his first 2 seasons than karlsson had points in his first season and just under in his Second. Kadri has 2 30 goal seasons and has never put up a season lower than karlssons before this year and he isn’t here (nor should he be)

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Matthews is too high I’d say. But there’s nothing wrong with dropping him a few spots until he really unloads a dominant season.

That could very well be this season, but in ranking the position right now, i see a problem putting him over guys like Kopitar and Scheifele for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad