NHL Network Radio

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Just wondering what you guys think of the hosts and the shows on this station. I pay about $9 per month for my SiriusXM package, and while this is not the only channel I listen to, I would pay $9/month for this channel alone...it's wonderful to have hockey talk on the radio 24/7!

Rossy and Kern are on in the morning and they're pretty good. Just ok with they're talking together, but they do have a great interview with a hockey insider (Pierre McGuire, Potvin, Mike Johnson of TSN) at 8:30 AM weekday mornings, and the show works nicely when they take calls from callers. Always good to get the pulse on what's going on in the league, and quite often their take on what happened last night around the league.

Scott Laughlin has the power play show from 3-6PM, sometimes with a host like Espo or Matthew Barnaby. Always a good listen, and some really good guests. Bill Waters cracks me up.

Of course there is always the play by play of all the games, which is a great perk if you happen to be driving at night.

The best part of the station, however, is Jim 'Boomer' Gordon, who hosts 'The Point' from 12-1PM, where he and someone else (it varies) just talk hockey for an hour. Two commercial breaks the entire hour! You can agree or disagree with Boomer, but I find him fascinating to listen to. Very funny and great insight.

Boomer also hosts 'The Extra Point' where Boomer usually interviews writers and analysts from around the league. Again, great stuff. At 1:45 PM he then replays the hockey insider segment from the morning, which is nice in case you missed it.

From 6-7 PM Boomer hosts 'Face Off', which previews all of the games that night. Extremely in-depth, with interviews and coach's press conferences when there are not many games, and just an overview of each game with line combinations, etc., when there are a lot. Whatever time allows...a GREAT show. And again, only two commercial breaks per hour.

And Boomer is big-tme Ryan McDonagh fan-boy too! Over the summer he predicted a Norris Trophy nomination this year.

I can't believe I used to wait for Boomer and Carton to mention hockey every once in a while, and now we have a 24/7 station! Agree with the hosts/guests or not, this beats the minute and half of hockey coverage you get per day on the FAN!

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
I wouldn't go that far Dr O. NHL network is usually on during my ride to work (Ellis gets my attention on the ride home) and honestly, listening to Pierre in the mornings actually made me respect him. These guys have a lot of knowledge and its fun to listen to other perspectives on things.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I used to like the radio show that was hosted in Gretzky's restaurant in Toronto. I listened to it on NHLN until they took it off so I have no idea if it's still on the radio.

Edit- just read your post and it is. If I had a car I would definitely keep it just to listen to that.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I wouldn't go that far Dr O. NHL network is usually on during my ride to work (Ellis gets my attention on the ride home) and honestly, listening to Pierre in the mornings actually made me respect him. These guys have a lot of knowledge and its fun to listen to other perspectives on things.

I love SiriusXM! I've been a subscriber since 2003, and the NHL radio and Jason Ellis Show are worth the price alone regardless of all the music.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
They were hating hard on us in the playoffs last year during the Habs series

Not true.

'They' are a bunch of different people with different opinions, but during the Habs series the overall feeling was very positive toward the Rangers. McDonagh is a huge favorite of almost everyone on the station, and most hosts and even guests were in agreement that, while a little reckless, Kreider did not deserve the vitriol coming from Montreal Bobbleheads players and coaches.

You want 'hating hard on us'? Go to the Stanley Cup playoffs thread on the Devils board...as we're winning series after series, the thread became absolutely priceless! So funny.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Not true.

'They' are a bunch of different people with different opinions, but during the Habs series the overall feeling was very positive toward the Rangers. McDonagh is a huge favorite of almost everyone on the station, and most hosts and even guests were in agreement that, while a little reckless, Kreider did not deserve the vitriol coming from Montreal Bobbleheads players and coaches.

You want 'hating hard on us'? Go to the Stanley Cup playoffs thread on the Devils board...as we're winning series after series, the thread became absolutely priceless! So funny.

Well I mean as professional broadcasters commentators the people I heard seemed to favor the habs pretty hard. I remember them saying the Hawks were done when the Kings were up 3-1 and saying the Rangers series is no were neat over when we were up 3-1. Also stuff about Tokarsi being better than Lundqvist.

Was it the Devils board or the isles board that had the thread about hating the Rangers more than they liked their own team and seeing us succeed made them sad?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
There's a lot of Habs fan hosts on the station.

However, I do like the show. I love listening. Boomer is great. I don't know about anyone else but sounds eerily similar to actor John C Reilly.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Well I mean as professional broadcasters commentators the people I heard seemed to favor the habs pretty hard. I remember them saying the Hawks were done when the Kings were up 3-1 and saying the Rangers series is no were neat over when we were up 3-1. Also stuff about Tokarsi being better than Lundqvist.

When you have a station with a bunch of hosts, guests and callers, you will hear pretty much every opinion under the sun, so you cannot generalize. I listened all the time during the playoffs, and while Tokarski received some praise (rightfully so) for how he stepped into such a pressurized spot with zero notice and played well, nobody said he was 'better' than Lundqvist overall.

If someone tuned in to Francessa they could generalize everyone on the FAN (or every New Yorker or every American) hates the Mets. Tune in an hour later to Steve Somers, you would assume they all love the Mets and hate the Yankees. Neither generalization is true - just two different opinions.

Assuming Francessa still hates the Mets -and the Jets, and hockey, and anyone who dares challenge one of his pompous opinions disguised as a 'fact'. One of the rewards of having satellite is I haven't heard Francessa's depressingly negative voice for over a year!

Was it the Devils board or the isles board that had the thread about hating the Rangers more than they liked their own team and seeing us succeed made them sad?

The Devil board had more discussion than the Islander board - the whining was hysterical!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad