Proposal: NHL Network --- Eichel & Dahlin FOR Hughes & Hischier

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
All due respect to Hischier and Hughes, they don't even come close to getting Eichel and Dahlin.

Which make a potential trade even more stupid for NJ. We’d have to give up way too much and we’d be horrible for the entire time Eichel was in NJ.

If this is a value comparison then yes, it’s not very close at this time.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Which make a potential trade even more stupid for NJ. We’d have to give up way too much and we’d be horrible for the entire time Eichel was in NJ.

It's just a weird trade on all levels it seems. The two Buffalo players have shown more, than then two Jersey ones, though Hirshier has been darn good. Hughes has great potential but has slowed since a gangbusters start this season. Right now it's not even close. It's also weird that two teams fighting for the bottom of their division, well this years version of their division, would trade these top end players/prospects who are so young.

Sure it would make the Devils better right away but good enough to make the playoffs this year? What else would they have to give up, which like you say would hurt them building a good team asap. Only reason Eichel would want out of Buffalo is to go to a winning team, or one that is closer to it than Jersey.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021

No, it would be a good move nonetheless. All you'd have to do is build around those two, something the Sabres weren't able to do until this day.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
It's just a weird trade on all levels it seems. The two Buffalo players have shown more, than then two Jersey ones, though Hirshier has been darn good. Hughes has great potential but has slowed since a gangbusters start this season. Right now it's not even close. It's also weird that two teams fighting for the bottom of their division, well this years version of their division, would trade these top end players/prospects who are so young.

Sure it would make the Devils better right away but good enough to make the playoffs this year? What else would they have to give up, which like you say would hurt them building a good team asap. Only reason Eichel would want out of Buffalo is to go to a winning team, or one that is closer to it than Jersey.

The Devils don’t exactly have many young D men that would help Buffalo out so it would have to be either Smith or our 1st this year on top of H and H. It’s just too much to give up for where we are. We’d be better off keeping our assets and drafting Luke Hughes or another good d man at this draft.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
No, it would be a good move nonetheless. All you'd have to do is build around those two, something the Sabres weren't able to do until this day.

We wouldn’t have enough time to build around them before Eichel’s contract is up. We don’t have the prospect pool for that. It would just be a setback for us and we’d end up having to rebuild again when Eichel leaves. It’s just not a smart move for us to make.

Reactions: lucifer91

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Value obviously favors the Buffalo players, but if NJ were to make this trade they'd probably then be better off flipping Eichel to a decent team for a stash of picks/prospects.

Eichel turns 25 at the beginning of next season and has already spent 6 miserable years in this league. Even with Eichel/Dahlin in the lineup and Nico/Jack out (let alone Blackwood, Smith or any other ridiculous amount of players some posters believe NJ needs to add), the Devils are still far from being contenders. So, rather than continue to burn through Eichel's prime years and hope things get better in a few years (or even worse, try to speed up the rebuild around Jack's timeline) before he has the opportunity to bolt, they'd probably be better off sticking to the rebuild timeline they're on now with some younger players.

Reactions: lucifer91

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
a parallel (and just as bad) example would be
Eichel + Dahlin
for
McDavid + Drais

a slightly closer deal would be
Eichel + Dahlin
for
a. Matthews + Marner or

the first proposal would get slaughtered by Oilers fans (and pretty much everyone who watches hockey) and rightfully so.
the 2nd proposal likely gets refused by Leafs and Sabres Fans equally with a few maybe's depending on feelings about Marner vs Dahlin

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Base on their draft ranking the Buffalo players have much more value . Base on their on ice play this year it is closer then fans will admit. I think it comes down to if you believe the Buffalo players are help back by a bad team and can rebound. Myself I think they have Buffaloitis . There something rotten there and it is infectious. Like by many of the Oilers high draft picks over the years . Once they get the infection there no coming back .

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
[QUOTE
Eichel + Dahlin
for
a. Matthews + Marner or

the first proposal would get slaughtered by Oilers fans (and pretty much everyone who watches hockey) and rightfully so.
the 2nd proposal likely gets refused by Leafs and Sabres Fans equally with a few maybe's depending on feelings about Marner vs Dahlin[/QUOTE]

That deal is not close. Matthews is a notch above Eichel. Maybe Eichel's contract closes the gap? Marner is a forward but his development is well ahead of Dahlin. I can see why Sabres fans would hate this because franchise D are tough to find but Dahlin is not trending as a future Norris candidate. (Personally, I have no idea how the Sabres screwed him up so badly.)

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
"God no we dont want this were content with the way the rebuild is going and dont want to mess it up." -Devils fans

"THATS DUMB HERES WHY YOU NEED TO ADD" -all of HFboards

thanks for your concerns everyone but trading two franchise players from basement teams is a dumb idea that benefits no one. Eichel isnt happy to keep losing and will probably demand a trade if things dont improve soon. How do you think he'll feel on the devils who are slightly outpacing Buffalos rebuild. Not to mention we have Ty Smith who seems to be emerging as a possible #1 LHD. so the devils trade two VERY good centers that could be a 1/2 punch down the middle for 10+ years and who are young enough where they can still vastly improve for one established superstar center (whos becoming increasingly unhappy on a losing team) and a #1 LHD (who while better than Smith, Smith still gets the job done at a fine rate). People need to stop looking at trades in a vacuum and take multiple things into account like team needs, player control, current situations. The Devils do NOT want/need Eichel and would be insane to destroy their rebuild for him

Reactions: Dialamo

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I don’t think Buffalo would or should nor do I think the value is fair.....but who offers more? What team out there is preparing to make a larger offer? I think Buffalo is in a real bad position to hold out for more.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
a parallel (and just as bad) example would be
Eichel + Dahlin
for
McDavid + Drais

Eichel + Dahlin
for
a. Matthews + Marner or

the 2nd proposal likely gets refused by Leafs and Sabres Fans equally with a few maybe's depending on feelings about Marner vs Dahlin
That first one isn’t a parallel but if you don’t this nonsensical trade idea take it up with NHL Network which apparently ran out of things to talk about and inflicted it upon all of us.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nothing because none of these players other than potentially Eichel is going to being traded and if he goes it wouldn’t be to NJ.
Well, obviously this is all for fun, but (in our HF fantasy world) the
Devils need to add. So what do they? Imo it would be a young high end D.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don’t think Buffalo would or should nor do I think the value is fair.....but who offers more? What team out there is preparing to make a larger offer? I think Buffalo is in a real bad position to hold out for more.

The Sabres...who offer Eichel and Dahlin. Eichel is under contract for 5 more years after this one, and Dahlin is a pending RFA with no arbitration rights and no ability to sign an offer sheet. The Sabres have absolutely no impetus to move either.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils say no, Sabres say no...

All you Buffalo fans saying I wouldn't trade Eichel alone for those 2 are insane.. If you think you're getting even close to that from anyone, you're going to be sorely disappointed when Eichel inevitably gets dealt for Kakko and draft picks

Reactions: devils29

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

All you Buffalo fans saying I wouldn't trade Eichel alone for those 2 are insane.. If you think you're getting even close to that from anyone, you're going to be sorely disappointed when Eichel inevitably gets dealt for Kakko and draft picks

lets be honest there is zero chance the Devils would say no.
Eichel is a 'franchise' center
Dahlin could/should be a 'franchise' defender

Hughes & Hischier are top line players and can/will be high end, but, neither can be argued to be 'franchise' caliber players
they closer to an Aho/Barzal than 'franchise' players like McDavid, Mckinnon, Matthews, Drais etc.
Eichel is above the Aho/Barzal top line player group, and pretty close to the others named

would you trade Hughes OR Hischier for
Point
Marner
Aho
Barzal
Pastrnak
if your answer is yes, to any of them, it should give you an idea of how they rank because i wouldnt trade Eichel for any of them

Reactions: DickSmehlik

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Hughes & Hischier are top line players and can/will be high end, but, neither can be argued to be 'franchise' caliber players
they closer to an Aho/Barzal than 'franchise' players like McDavid, Mckinnon, Matthews, Drais etc.
Eichel is above the Aho/Barzal top line player group, and pretty close to the others named

Point
Marner
Aho
Barzal
Pastrnak
if your answer is yes, to any of them, it should give you an idea of how they rank because i wouldnt trade Eichel for any of them

This isn't a what you would do, this is what a team would/will do.. my point is neither team would make this trade, both teams have put too much effort into building these young players with their fans to just trade them off.. and it certainly doesn't matter what you think Eichel is worth, because they aren't getting any of the mentioned players when they trade Eichel, that's not how reality works

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

Point
Marner
Aho
Barzal
Pastrnak

Literally none of the teams you listed with “franchise” players have won anything. So it’s debatable as to whether you need one to win a cup.

There’s no point in trading for one if you have to give up multiple pieces to get one. If you happen to draft one then good for you but having a superstar or franchise player guarantees nothing.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Funny how there are 3 #1 overall picks in the scenario and none aren’t even close to being the best player in the trade

Reactions: shortfuze

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

You understand the Sabres have Eichel signed for five more years with no gun to their head to trade him.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You understand the Sabres have Eichel signed for five more years with no gun to their head to trade him.
I think jack Hughes is going to be an absolute game breaker in a year or 2. Once he gets his man strength. This coming from a rangers fan. Having said that you don’t trade a player like Dahlin who has a chance to be generational at his position. That alone would torpedo any trade for me. Just like the rangers wouldn’t trade fox for anyone not named McDavid. He’s too important to the team and the void he would leave if traded would take years to replace. He is the first D the rangers have had since Leetch to be this good. That’s over 20 years! That’s how important I seen Dahlin being to the Sabres. The rest you can debate who will be the better centers in time but Dahlin makes this trade a no go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad