Proposal: NHL Network --- Eichel & Dahlin FOR Hughes & Hischier

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
You are on crack if you don't realize that Jack Eichel is by far the best player and most valuable piece in this proposal. I think the other 3 can be argued in any order but this trade is brutal for the Sabres. Take off the homer glasses.
Oh yeah eichel is better... better at losing

yeah no eichel is the best player in the trade but I have Nico and jack over dahlin

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You are on crack if you don't realize that Jack Eichel is by far the best player and most valuable piece in this proposal. I think the other 3 can be argued in any order but this trade is brutal for the Sabres. Take off the homer glasses.
Yet the trade instantly makes the Devils worse? Our 2nd line centre would be Travis Zajacs corpse with no C prospect close to becoming a 2nd line centre.

Devils would be challenging Buffalo for the longest losing streak the next year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There is a disconnect between player value in a vacuum and how this would play out in the real world. Of course Eichel is significantly better than Hischier or Hughes. That said he’s clearly frustrated and if he goes from Buffalo to NJ and loses more how long until he wants out of NJ? That’s the part that is being glossed over.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What was the “debate”? If Eichel is unhappy about missing the playoffs then how is this trade speeding up his first trip to the playoffs? Why is Buffalo trading Dahlin too and getting two forwards back?

This trade idea is nonsense.

The Jack Eichel trade narrative is built on him allegedly starting to make noise about wanting to be on a team that’s a playoff contender now so why would another GM on very young non-playoff team suddenly want to take the high pressure role of Mission Get Jack Eichel to the Playoffs or Else? And people want NJ to give up more which would make it even more even harder for them to get Eichel to the playoffs in a very timely manner.

I’m not arguing that Buffalo’s pieces don’t have more value (I don’t care about that debate) but I don’t see how they bring more happiness to NJ, unless Eichel is allegedly supposed to be shipped out for reasons other than missing the playoffs.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Neutral fan here.

Eich+Dahlin

for

Hughes+Hischier+Smith+Blackwood+'21 1st seems fair +Gusev (for closer salary/cap purposes).
OP is not fair for Buffalo , but this is too much of a payment.
It would also strip the Devils down to nothing left but rebuilding once again around Eichel . Who would rightfully want out the first chance he got as the Devils roster would be trash after gutting their goalie and 2 C’s

Reactions: TBF1972

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
NOT YET!!!!!
8058A394-142D-4872-B1D0-F41EBB3F3ACC.gif

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Last season Eichel was on pace for a 90 point season playing with ... Sabres players.

Hughes may be great one day, Nico is closer, but Jack is there right now. Dahlin's upside is still huge and, coming off his entry level deal, the Devils potentially could lock him in a multi-year deal for relative peanuts considering the year he's having. Just imagine him in a few years after playing on an actual competitive NHL team.

In short, the Devils would be insane not to take it.

And for the Sabres, Kevyn Adams would be advised to sign the deal from the airport, immediately jump onto a plane to a faraway country with a new identity and disappear forever.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Eichel is by far the best player right now. He is also the oldest player in the proposal. He is 4.5 years older than Hughes and Hughes has a chance to be as good or better than Eichel offensively. He probably never will be Eichel's equal in other parts of the game. Eichel also has the richest contract, which was constructed with the idea of a raising cap.
Eichel was born 1996. New Jersey's best talents align better with the 2001 birth date of Hughes, as the farm system most likely has more pure talent than the current NHL team. While you can change the time table of contention by exchanging the top line center, the development of the farm system isn't impacted by that. With Hughes growing his game also the support from the farm will grow. Eichel won't find a winning environment immediately.
Moving Hischier for Dahlin might be a value win in a vacuum for New Jersey. But Hischier was named captain for a reason and is considered a leader by the Devils. Additionally the Devils have invested a lot of the draft capital into D-Man and basically only got LHD out of the draft the last three cycles. If Dahlin would be a RHD this would help New Jersey tremendously. Adding more LHD in front of Smith, Bahl, Okhotyuk, Mukhamadullin, Misyul and Vukojevic doesn't add as much value, as if Dahlin would be a RHD.
At center if you remove 2 and add only 1 the Devils don't have the organizational depth to easily recover. Zacha is questionable as top 6 center, McLeod is clearly a bottom 6 player. Mercer might be better used as a RW and Pytlik currently projects more as a bottom 6 center. And if you look at the 2021 draft, there are a ton of LHD (Powers, Quinn, Edvinsson, Lambos, Svozil) at the top of the draft, but very few RHD (Clarke) and Center (Beniers). Johnson and Eklund most likely will end up playing LW in the NHL. BPA in the draft could be another LHD for New Jersey. So adding Dahlin now might require a future transaction to balance the roster.

As a Devils fan I would rather stand pat and don't trade with Buffalo. If a trade happens, I hope it is only for Eichel with either Hischier or Hughes as the main piece. I don't see the need to trade one of the centers for Dahlin. If Dahlin would be available without Hischier or Hughes going the other way, New Jersey should be very interested.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Value aside, Eichel is a star player that got his last coach and GM fired because he didn't want to play for them and threatened to not sign a contract extension unless they were fired. What kind of GM wants that kind of entitlement on his team.

Reactions: awegrzyn

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
The Devils would do this so fast it wouldn't be funny

No they wouldn't....If Hughes progresses and gets to where he should be he alone could make us losers in this trade.....It's an if but possible.....Nico is being heavily underrated here he has produced solidly on a bad team and is a great 200 foot player.....Eichel is good and is worth a lot no doubt but two top centers for one it won't happen and Eichel has still a lot to prove as he hasn't lifted the Sabres franchise and put them on his back he has to shoulder the blame as well there too.....Just not a good fit and I doubt they trade Eichel unless he forces their hands....If Buffalo messes up the trade of Eichel they are done they have to hit it big on a trade or make it work with him...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Big trades like this happen all the time!

Also, what other many things is NJ adding to get both Eichel and Dahlin?

Reactions: Auston Escobar

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Big trades like this happen all the time!

Also, what other many things is NJ adding to get both Eichel and Dahlin?
There is no common ground for a trade here, that's why it's such a bad proposal.
Eichel and Dahlin are stud #1C and #1D

I see both Hughes and Hischier as borderline 1C/great 2C in their prime.

No basis for a trade, sorry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->