Proposal: NHL Network --- Eichel & Dahlin FOR Hughes & Hischier

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What people can't seem to understand is Nico has already committed long term to the Devils, and Jack seems excited to be in NJ
I'm not denying that the Devils are getting the best player in this ridiculous trade but it doesn't actually help them that much, the Devils organization believes Hughes can put up Eichel #'s and Nico is a better all around player.
It removes 2 players Devil fans were and continue to be excited to watch, sure the replacements would exciting too, but at too large of a cost and too much of a risk

Why can't we just say this is what it is, a horrible trade proposal for both teams and move on?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
So I'm wrong? How about explaining why, you know since I explained my argument, I mean, unless you don't have a valid counter argument.....:help:
Well if you read my original post you would see that I said you could make an argument that he would go 10th though I would disagree, I took issue at the 10-20 part which means he believes Hischier could honestly would go 20th

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
And if you're that bad, in 6 years you'll be losing Hughes/Hischier too. That one extra year means turning down the vastly better players? Nonsense

Why do you say that? Nico wants to play in NJ. He’s our captain and probably lifetime Devil.

Jack might want to leave at some point but there are no signs of that all at this point. He’s still on his ELC. We can sign him to a 7 year deal like we did with Nico when it’s extension time. That gives us way more time. At least 8 more years with Hughes.

We do know that Eichel is unhappy though and has stated he is tired of losing.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This issue is still the timeline. Can we build around them within 4-5 years? And why can’t Buffalo just do the same thing considering they’re both at around the same stage of the rebuild.

It’s a gamble for NJ because as I said if we can’t successfully build around them then Eichel leaves and our center depth is gone. Start rebuilding from scratch again.
But again, the window with Hischier/Hughes in 6 years vs 5 years with Dahlin/Eichel. That one extra year is worse keeping the much worse hockey players? I call BS.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Well if you read my original post you would see that I said you could make an argument that he would go 10th though I would disagree, I took issue at the 10-20 part which means he believes Hischier could honestly would go 20th

Oh you mean the argument where you had him way higher then he should have been in 2 supposed re-drafts? The one where you completely discounted players who have proven more? That one?

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Jesus no. The devils are coming along nicely With their rebuild. The players we have are starting to gel and look good. Not blowing it up for Eichel and Dahlin. Idgaf if people think this heavily favors the devils no way do we want this

The devils don’t like better hockey players in the same age range?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
But again, the window with Hischier/Hughes in 6 years vs 5 years with Dahlin/Eichel. That one extra year is worse keeping the much worse hockey players? I call BS.

It’s not though. There’s no reason to think Nico would leave and Jack has way more potential term. You’re just making stuff up to try to prove your point.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why do you say that? Nico wants to play in NJ. He’s our captain and probably lifetime Devil.

Jack might want to leave at some point but there are no signs of that all at this point. He’s still on his ELC. We can sign him to a 7 year deal like we did with Nico when it’s extension time. That gives us way more time. At least 8 more years with Hughes.

We do know that Eichel is unhappy though and has stated he is tired of losing.
Eichel was also named captain and signed long term with Buffalo, Hischier signing means nothing. If NJ still cant build a contender in 5 years you can guarantee Hughes/Hischier arent sticking around either. Eichel/Dahlin at least gives you a much better chance at building a playoff team.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
This issue is still the timeline. Can we build around them within 4-5 years? And why can’t Buffalo just do the same thing considering they’re both at around the same stage of the rebuild.

It’s a gamble for NJ because as I said if we can’t successfully build around them then Eichel leaves and our center depth is gone. Start rebuilding from scratch again.

I'd argue given the track record of both teams management, the Devils could easily build around them.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It’s not though. There’s no reason to think Nico would leave and Jack has way more potential term. You’re just making stuff up to try to prove your point.
There was no reason to think Eichel wanted out either. If NJ still isn't winning in 5 years you can bet theyll want out too

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
There was no reason to think Eichel wanted out either. If NJ still isn't winning in 5 years you can bet theyll want out too

I remember at the draft lottery the Sabres owner getting pissed that they didn’t land McDavid. How do you think that made Eichel feel? It was a sour relationship from the beginning. And since then Eichel has been pretty demanding. That’s why people make the GM Eichel jokes.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It’s still a risk. And I think the reason you’ll find so many Devils fans hesitant to say yes is because we want stability after years of risks that didn’t pan out.

Isn't it more of a risk to rely on two players that have been underwhelming so far in their development over two guys who have proven already that they can live up to the hype?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Isn't it more of a risk to rely on two players that have been underwhelming so far in their development over two guys who have proven already that they can live up to the hype?

They haven’t been underwhelming though. Just because they aren’t McDavid/Matthews level players doesn’t mean they haven’t been improving. Hall never would have gotten MVP without Nico by the way.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
To me it is a sign of a lopsided discussion when not the player itself gets evaluated, but the supposed attitude certain players have. 'He is disgruntled, he is sick of losing, not enough term on his contract, they want to be here, he doesn't want to be here,..'

How about: He (Eichel) is in another tier then those mentioned (Hughes, Hischier)? Don't wanna talk about it? Why? I tell you why, it's because there is nothing to talk about. So, in order to not get laughed off this forum, you guys come up with intangible stuff instead of judging a deal like that solely on its players value.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
They haven’t been underwhelming though. Just because they aren’t McDavid/Matthews level players doesn’t mean they haven’t been improving. Hall never would have gotten MVP without Nico by the way.

I'll give you Hischier has been decent but hasn't lived up to the hype, just my opinion.

Hughes has 38 points in his first 98 games though, how can that not be considered underwhelming, especially for a #1 OA pick?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I'll give you Hischier has been decent but hasn't lived up to the hype, just my opinion.

Hughes has 38 points in his first 98 games though, how can that not be considered underwhelming, especially for a #1 OA pick?

Are you talking about the hype Hischier had or the hype a 1st overall pick has? Because Hischier never had too much hype around him.

Jack has been a little underwhelming but you can see the talent there and when you factor in his age and size I think most people would agree that he still has huge potential.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
To me it is a sign of a lopsided discussion when not the player itself gets evaluated, but the supposed attitude certain players have. 'He is disgruntled, he is sick of losing, not enough term on his contract, they want to be here, he doesn't want to be here,..'

How about: He (Eichel) is in another tier then those mentioned (Hughes, Hischier)? Don't wanna talk about it? Why? I tell you why, it's because there is nothing to talk about. So, in order to not get laughed off this forum, you guys come up with intangible stuff instead of judging a deal like that solely on its players value.

Except I doubt there’s anyone on here that actually think this trade would go down 2 for 2. Devils would have to add and it would probably be significant. So now we’re giving up a 3rd vital piece that a rebuilding team needs like our 1st this year or Blackwood or Smith.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What people can't seem to understand is Nico has already committed long term to the Devils, and Jack seems excited to be in NJ
I'm not denying that the Devils are getting the best player in this ridiculous trade but it doesn't actually help them that much, the Devils organization believes Hughes can put up Eichel #'s and Nico is a better all around player.
It removes 2 players Devil fans were and continue to be excited to watch, sure the replacements would exciting too, but at too large of a cost and too much of a risk

Why can't we just say this is what it is, a horrible trade proposal for both teams and move on?

Oh please. Devils take this and run.

Eichel >>> Hughes
Dahlin >>> Hischier

Hughes has 11P in his last 34GP and Eichel can put up a PPG in his sleep playing with no help in Buffalo.

Dahlin is having a rough year but he's a potential #1 star defenseman and that's far more valuable than a 1B/2A C like Hischier.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Are you talking about the hype Hischier had or the hype a 1st overall pick has? Because Hischier never had too much hype around him.

Jack has been a little underwhelming but you can see the talent there and when you factor in his age and size I think most people would agree that he still has huge potential.

The hype a 1st OA has.

Potential is great, but it doesn't trump proven ability in this case, again just my opinion.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Delete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad