NHL needs a Challange Flag

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Even if they do add some kind of coaches challenge, they'll never allow for challenging penalties. That's 100% refs discrimination. They tried that in the CFL this year and it was awful.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Aulie, Pitlick and Petry just now have been abysmal calls. Just brutal.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I agree with the idea but it would be tough to implement. They already review scoring plays anyways so it would just be things like missed calls/penalties that would make up the bulk of challenges.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Even if they do add some kind of coaches challenge, they'll never allow for challenging penalties. That's 100% refs discrimination. They tried that in the CFL this year and it was awful.

They've done it in the CFL for a few years and its worked out pretty well. I prefer it to not having it. Only thing I would change is they may as well get the commercial breaks in there while its occurring. As it is they're on the air the whole time the review is occurring which is often long, and then later go to commercials. Having them simultaneous would eliminate some of the breaks in play and get the games going. That's an easy change to make. I don't need to be hearing the jeopardy clock everytime. Show the bloody commercials, get em over with.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
They've done it in the CFL for a few years and its worked out pretty well. I prefer it to not having it. Only thing I would change is they may as well get the commercial breaks in there while its occurring. As it is they're on the air the whole time the review is occurring which is often long, and then later go to commercials. Having them simultaneous would eliminate some of the breaks in play and get the games going. That's an easy change to make. I don't need to be hearing the jeopardy clock everytime. Show the bloody commercials, get em over with.

This is the first year they added the challenge to Pass Interference, which was an utter failure. The usual challenges of scoring plays, interceptions or catch vs incomplete do work. I'm totally for challenges in hockey, but it should be limited to things that directly effect goals. Things like hand passes, high sticks and blown offsides calls. But no penalties.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
It would have been useful last night as the player was thrown out of the game and a five minute penalty was called on what was a clean hit. The refs are calling these penalties on the aftermath not the actual event. If a challenge was in play it would not have been a penalty.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
if they ever add it i will seriously stop watching. this game doesnt have as many lame/esoteric rules like the NFL does.

you know your sport/league is dumb when certain weeks calls will come out that people have never seen or havent in like 15-30 years.

you also know it's bad when they use to have "you make the call" commercials about said rules just to shoot themselves in the foot.

plz, no.

how bout the Oilers just play better in general instead of figuring out micro-level things to potentially save a game? "IF this would of happened... yea,. but if... .then X, Y, Z......... oops, we're just bad EVERY NIGHT."

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
No, the game's already too slow as it is with all the commercial breaks. I understand them bringing out the shovels at the games to clear the ice every few breaks in play or so to give the sponsors time to deliver their messages, but games are taking way too long. No need to add in anything to further stretch that out.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No, the game's already too slow as it is with all the commercial breaks. I understand them bringing out the shovels at the games to clear the ice every few breaks in play or so to give the sponsors time to deliver their messages, but games are taking way too long. No need to add in anything to further stretch that out.

Like I said earlier there is no reason whatsoever not to have the commercial breaks coincide with the play review.

Last night we lost a D in our rotation, which left us with only 5 D for the WHOLE game and in what was a back to back. So our D were bone tired and making poor decisions by the end which cost us the game.

Part of me is disgusted that the call occurred because Stajan was acting like he was dead on the ice not even moving until he heard the call. Then he was up and absolutely nothing wrong with him.

More to the point the hit the way it lined up was incidental. Getting 5mins and a game and possibly more for that was harsh.

lmfao that they called an embellishment penalty on Petry late in the game.

I seldom complain about officiating but it was onesided.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad