2019 Stanley Cup Final NHL, NBC and City of Boston holding concert, viewing party before Bruins Game 1 of Stanley Cup Final

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'll give the NHL credit. I'd at least heard of "Old Town Road" and vaguely knew of Lil Nas X and the controversy over whether Billboard thought he was country. Everyone complains of second-tier NHL throwback acts, and I don't think this is one of those - he's a hot act, and I think the kids like the song.

I definitely can agree that rap/hip-hop has become the new pop as of late - I listened to the Billboard Top 40 on Spotify a few months ago, and basically was totally lost. I'm used to verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus, and I couldn't get a foothold into the songs. Completely different from the Top 40 from even 10, 15 years ago.

That said, go ahead and stone me: I'd personally rather have Nickelback and Coldplay. (No, don't commit me to the asylum - they're not my first two choices!) But I can be happy if other folks are happy.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I'll give the NHL credit. I'd at least heard of "Old Town Road" and vaguely knew of Lil Nas X and the controversy over whether Billboard thought he was country. Everyone complains of second-tier NHL throwback acts, and I don't think this is one of those - he's a hot act, and I think the kids like the song.

I definitely can agree that rap/hip-hop has become the new pop as of late - I listened to the Billboard Top 40 on Spotify a few months ago, and basically was totally lost. I'm used to verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus, and I couldn't get a foothold into the songs. Completely different from the Top 40 from even 10, 15 years ago.

That said, go ahead and stone me: I'd personally rather have Nickelback and Coldplay. (No, don't commit me to the asylum - they're not my first two choices!) But I can be happy if other folks are happy.

I work with elementary school kids, and that’s definitely the only reason I know that song.

Otherwise, I definitely wouldn’t have heard it. It’s real easy to be “out of the loop” about popular music.

Reactions: 774EVER

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Soooo, NOT Nas, as in illmatic Nas then. Cuz I’d go for Nas. Without question.

Had to google the song. Pretty sure I’ve seen it on Instagram in short clips. Honestly thought it was part of a song from the viral country kid singing in a Walmart.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

E40DD09B-0F5F-4AC8-B1BC-1BFC138A6FDD.gif

Reactions: Alicat and sooshii

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

*As summer holiday season gets closer in CANADA (and a happy Victoria Day to our readers up north!), there’s a format change in Cottage Country. Canadian Radio News reports Bayshore Broadcasting started the month by tweaking “89.1 MAX FM” (CISO) from classic hits to alternative rock, just a few months after flipping from AC “Sunshine 89.1.” The classic hits remain at sister “MAX” station CHGB (97.7 Wasaga Beach) – and in Orillia, MAX is offering a “No Nickelback Guarantee,” promising 5000 nickels to the first listener who calls in if a Nickelback song gets on the air.

https://www.playmax.ca/

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I just took a listen to both artists and it’s a hard pass on each of them.

I’ll stick to my own terrible mix of music that has anything from Pearl Jam to Snoop Dogg to Darius Rucker (sans the Blowfish)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad