NHL, MLB and NBA might buy Bally Sports RSNs

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Having been gone from Columbus for a "few" years I have only watched on whatever the computer version of Center Ice was or for the past few years via "other" streaming "services". If I understand what I have been reading here if you watch via ESPN+ the home games are blacked out. But if you have cable the games are on Bally?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Having been gone from Columbus for a "few" years I have only watched on whatever the computer version of Center Ice was or for the past few years via "other" streaming "services". If I understand what I have been reading here if you watch via ESPN+ the home games are blacked out. But if you have cable the games are on Bally?
That's correct, ESPN+ blacks out the local games so you'd need a VPN to change your IP address...or stick with cable.

Reactions: EspenK

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Or spend $19.99/month for the Bally's app.
I have used the Ballys app...that thing sucks to high hell. Seriously, I have dropped way too many F-Bombs trying to use their app. They should be embarrassed to actually charge people to use that piece of crap.

I'd rather save a few bucks between ESPN+ and a VPN, have a better app experience, get all that extra content like the college hockey games and be able to read the extra content on ESPN+. Plus my alma mater is a small school in an insignificant conference so its cool to be able to watch some of their games online once in a while since they are never on TV.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I honestly have had a good experience with the app on my phone for Jackets and Indians games. I don't want to say I'm totally happy with it because then it will work like crap. I'll just say I have been real lucky so far.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I was in Orlando last week (pre Ian) and they has similar thing with both Rays and Marlins games on channels. AS you said all the talk shows (besides pre and post game and the game) was the same as back home.
They have 2 different BSN...one is miami one is tampa...no overlap in them like the 2 in ohio (or atleast there was overlap when I lived in cbus)

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Here's how the Bally Sports in Ohio work:

Bally Sports Ohio (nee Fox Sports Ohio nee SportsChannel Ohio)
Reds
Cavaliers
Blue Jackets

There are Cleveland and Cincinnati feeds on satellite and alt feeds elsewhere

in Cleveland
- Cavaliers get priority
- Blue Jackets on alt/Cincinnati when conflict

Rest of state gets all three teams, leaving open possibility of three-way conflict
- I'm assuming Blue Jackets/Reds/Cavaliers order of priority in Columbus
- I'm assuming Reds/Blue Jackets/Cavaliers order of priority in Cincinnati

Bally Sports Great Lakes (nee Sportstime Ohio)
Guardians
Monsters

I'm pretty sure SW Ohio doesn't even get this channel, which is why the Cavaliers aren't on it despite all the headaches that would solve (Cincinnati is part of the Cavaliers TV territory).

I didn't mention the Crew as they're done with Bally following tonight's game.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I'm glad that they offered a seven day trial as I was not impressed with the quality of the stream. Every ten seconds or so the feed would freeze argh. I cancelled my subscription earlier this morning.

Better no Jackets vs. supporting that POS service.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I'm glad that they offered a seven day trial as I was not impressed with the quality of the stream. Every ten seconds or so the feed would freeze argh. I cancelled my subscription earlier this morning.

I am not a supporter of Bally's or have any affiliation but I have used an Apple TV and connect to it and only had one hiccup. They list the pregame and you turn that on and it doesn't automatically switch over to the game. So maybe that helps?

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I am not a supporter of Bally's or have any affiliation but I have used an Apple TV and connect to it and only had one hiccup. They list the pregame and you turn that on and it doesn't automatically switch over to the game. So maybe that helps?

I'm not sure how I'm going to watch now. I have ESPN+ as well as a VPN but even when I switch my VPN location to another part of the country, I get an error message whether it's a home or away game that the Jackets game is blacked out for me.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm not sure how I'm going to watch now. I have ESPN+ as well as a VPN but even when I switch my VPN location to another part of the country, I get an error message whether it's a home or away game that the Jackets game is blacked out for me.
Try force closing the ESPN app and restarting it. Sometimes if it had already pinged my location before I got my VPN going, it wouldn't adjust to the VPN location unless I force closed the app and reopened with the VPN already active.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Try force closing the ESPN app and restarting it. Sometimes if it had already pinged my location before I got my VPN going, it wouldn't adjust to the VPN location unless I force closed the app and reopened with the VPN already active.

People helping people - I love this place. Thank you!

Reactions: MAHJ71

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

I spoke with another person I know and he said he cancelled his Bally Sports sub after the first two games. Couldn't get it to work on Apple TV, Roku or Firestick. I've used the app in the past and had nothing but trouble with it.

While I am no expert at using apps, I have no problems using YouTube, Fubo, Netflix, Amazon or AppleTV. Ballys should be no harder.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I spoke with another person I know and he said he cancelled his Bally Sports sub after the first two games. Couldn't get it to work on Apple TV, Roku or Firestick. I've used the app in the past and had nothing but trouble with it.

While I am no expert at using apps, I have no problems using YouTube, Fubo, Netflix, Amazon or AppleTV. Ballys should be no harder.
Hmmm - message me and I will see if I can help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad