NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE NINE! Part ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I still confused myself occasionally. I wish I was joking.

But while I have you here, give me suggestions for songs or acts to run through some ML algorithms for custom Beat Saber levels please. This goes for anyone else too. It helps very much to have an obvious instrument or instruments pushed to the front, otherwise it can sometimes focus on drums and my brain doesn't work like that.

Some random examples of mainstream bands/songs that I've found work very well -- RHCP, Earth Wind & Fire, White Stripes, Gorillaz, "Rasputin," and all sorts of hip hop or dance as you would probably expect.

Absolutely no weeb shit, please. I'm glad others can enjoy it, but it's not for me.

You should test your algorithms with The Shaggs

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

But while I have you here, give me suggestions for songs or acts to run through some ML algorithms for custom Beat Saber levels please. This goes for anyone else too. It helps very much to have an obvious instrument or instruments pushed to the front, otherwise it can sometimes focus on drums and my brain doesn't work like that.

Some random examples of mainstream bands/songs that I've found work very well -- RHCP, Earth Wind & Fire, White Stripes, Gorillaz, "Rasputin," and all sorts of hip hop or dance as you would probably expect.

Absolutely no weeb shit, please. I'm glad others can enjoy it, but it's not for me.
Harder than I thought. Was trying to stay away from heavy drum songs and rap

1. Midnight City (M83) is like a synth pop type vibe with almost a disco drum beat to it, that would be a fun one
2. Franklin's Tower (Grateful Dead) would probably be good, I bet it would latch on to Jerry's mixolydian guitar
3. The Death of Me (Marianas Trench) has a bit of a cannon effect with multiple (almost jarring) dynamics changes
4. Dear Prudence (The Beatles) could be good with repetitive syncopated D riff accompaniment. Might have to keep that going in one hand while doing the vocal melody or the bass in the other hand.
5. Do Ya (ELO) dat hot guitar
6. Indiscipline (King Crimson) it probably will latch onto drums here but it's so wild it's worth a shot
7. Four Sticks (Zep) 16th note bongos behind Page's guitar could make for some interesting combos
8. You Really Got Me (Van Halen) see #5
9. Something off the eponymous Boston album? Smokin? Rock n Roll Band? Peace of Mind?
10. If you're interested in some melodic EDM stuff that might risk picking up the drums but still would probably be fun: Lonely (Illenium), Lion's Cage (Flux Pavilion), Feel Good (Gryffin/Illenium)

Please report back

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

The Boredoms?

I kid, I kid. It might break the game.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The stay Pufts are thrilled to introduce our wild card pick as our official team magician.
He is the son of the devil, but a servant of God. He’s an enchanter, a prophet, the all powerful Master Magician. Able to diffuse a situation with his quick witted charm or spell.
Welcome to you’re new home, Merlin.
FCE0C983-F184-4D7D-9C34-1A7AA7A910DC.jpeg

@GKJ youre probably up. Not even a prophet can decipher the proper order with all of this skipping going on.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Just in time. Much appreciated, sir.

In the true spirit of the Maximum Chaos category, the M.A.D. Cats are selecting a Constructive Proof for P = NP. This is not an advantage for us. Once a proof exists, everyone benefits. In simplest terms, this means every difficult problem in the multiverse has an easy answer. Here's a slightly longer explanation:

BigThink.com said:
The P versus NP question asks whether the set of problems that can be easily solved are also in the set of problems that can be easily checked. Imagine you're tasked with gluing a shattered teacup back together. It's easy to see if you've succeeded—you'll have a complete teacup in front of you. But it's very hard to take all the disparate pieces and fit them back together. This is an example of an NP problem; hard to solve, easy to check.

Now imagine instead you were tasked with counting how many pieces the teacup had broken into rather than having to reassemble it. This would be a P problem. It's comparatively easier to count the broken pieces than it is to figure how they connect to each other.

One of the most significant downsides would be the loss of most existing cryptography, disabling concepts like credit cards. But the upsides are exceptional. Overnight all of us would essentially be empowered to learn anything we want. Serious medical hurdles like amino acid sequencing predictions are now cleared and worldwide medical care skyrockets. Anyone is now capable of penning a symphony. Computers become exponentially more power and efficient simultaneously. Most mathematical questions are solved. Everything from hover boards to robot monkey butlers are now possible for everyone. Functional AI exists and I don't mean a refrigerator with an internet connection.

The limit is now the ends of your imagination. What we've provided here is the mechanism for allowing everyone's ridiculous picks to exist.

This is also probably the beginning of the machines taking over, but you can't prove that.

@FlyTimmo Let it rip. No regrets.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

In the true spirit of the Maximum Chaos category, the M.A.D. Cats are selecting a Constructive Proof for P = NP. This is not an advantage for us. Once a proof exists, everyone benefits. In simplest terms, this means every difficult problem in the multiverse has an easy answer. Here's a slightly longer explanation:

One of the most significant downsides would be the loss of most existing cryptography, disabling concepts like credit cards. But the upsides are exceptional. Overnight all of us would essentially be empowered to learn anything we want. Serious medical hurdles like amino acid sequencing predictions are now cleared and worldwide medical care skyrockets. Anyone is now capable of penning a symphony. Computers become exponentially more power and efficient simultaneously. Most mathematical questions are solved. Everything from hover boards to robot monkey butlers are now possible for everyone. Functional AI exists and I don't mean a refrigerator with an internet connection.

The limit is now the ends of your imagination. What we've provided here is the mechanism for allowing everyone's ridiculous picks to exist.

This is also probably the beginning of the machines taking over, but you can't prove that.

There's some awesome YouTube videos on this

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

This just broke my brain.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

You could have had a magician just magic your problems away bro.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
For our wildcard pick, we decided to go crazy. Why not, it is Maximum Chaos after all. Please hold your applause til the end.

We considered this from many different angles. We could have made any number of picks, including [RANCH] or [RANCH], but decided they were too mundane. So we went back and thought hard about the term itself, and settled on THE wild card. The one that fits so many definitions of the term.

06jokers-ranked-ledger-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Team WildCard: The Joker

@Hurricane28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad