NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE NINE! Part ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Honolulu Ghibli selects as its Wildcard pick......Japanese Theatre!

Bunraku! Traditional Japanese puppetry......

LikableSmoggyAnemone-max-1mb.gif

kaiju-bunraku-wife.gif

Noh! A poetic, spiritually themed dance-drama with wooden masks and simple staging......

Ut7gqodkHvF9hQ66ne-aoMd61Vc5eSBUR-bQtmEVo06kKWu6UiBnoCOZw7h6gqloLkwhdS-i954x__ArYI2zikA136Vzhaw907BjqbZPegsQK4Scjwz6

21-44643.jpeg

Kabuki! Like Noh but with face paint instead of masks. More boisterous, more extravagant, more middlebrow.....

v9V9Hm.gif

While these cultural arts are rich and unique, you're right to ask: how does this serve a hockey team? Pre-game and intermission presentations, merchandising, atmosphere! Welcome to 16th century weebing.

Do you like this wildcard choice, No-Face? Be brutally honest.

tumblr_mashcy1ZPU1qcsmpso1_500.gifv

@Rebels57 -- foggetaboutit

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Making up our pick from yesterday, the NJFZ choose College Radio (all of it) as our Wild Card, because asking Siri what song is playing right now (because the awkward student DJ has just played 10 songs in a row without announcing them and this one's a real banger but you can't make out the lyrics to google later because of the low fi production values and you don't quite recognize the band) is part of our daily ritual, and our day would be poorer without it.

@Rebels57 is still on the clock

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Good morning to my favorite band, The Tony Romo Sapiens.

tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

We start the day with @Rebels57 still on the clock until 9 a.m. your time, then @pit, then @CanadianFlyer88, then yours truly.

Is My Bloody Valentine my kind of band? I have never really tried to listen to them. I have known about them since the very beginning, of course - it's not like they are obscure - I just never tried them out. I assumed they were emo and nothing else. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but even with an emo band that I like, like the Cure, I wouldn't sit here listening to full emo albums. I was just wondering because mja posted a MBV song yesterday and it was different than I was expecting.

I missed that entire Scotland-Czech match yesterday because I was so engrossed by tanking the shit out of EHM. I always do this near the beginning of tournaments, flake out and forget they have started. Anyway, today's doesn't start until 11, with Hungary-Portugal followed by France-Germany, which could be an absolute cracker. Germany seems to be kind of in between generations, like Spain, but France is f***ing bursting with young talent. This may be one tournament early to see them play much, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Anyway, I am going to sit here all abandoned as I destroy civilizations, tank in EHM, watch the football, and wonder if my PMs have suddenly turned invisible.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Good morning to my favorite band, The Tony Romo Sapiens.

Is My Bloody Valentine my kind of band? I have never really tried to listen to them. I have known about them since the very beginning, of course - it's not like they are obscure - I just never tried them out. I assumed they were emo and nothing else. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but even with an emo band that I like, like the Cure, I wouldn't sit here listening to full emo albums. I was just wondering because mja posted a MBV song yesterday and it was different than I was expecting.

Cap, MBV is NOT emo, they're 100% Shoegaze. You haven't listened to Loveless? Cap, go listen to Loveless. It's genre-defining.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
tenor.gif

Vince Vaughn: Yeeaaaaaah yes!

armstrong_doug.jpg

GM Doug: Uh, hi. What are you doing here and what are you doing?

VV: You're the GM of Chicago, right?
GM Doug: The Chimpanzees, yeah.
VV: Cool cool, love it. And your last meal is Thanksgiving, right? Cuz, uh..
92411d2e4ef0adafdf220f273dec6773.gif

GM Doug: What the sh*t are you babbling about and why are you at my draft table?
VV: Buddy, I'm Vince Vaughn.
GM Doug: I've seen Dodgeball, I know that.
VV: Ok, well, in case you didn't know, I'm THAT GUY for every Chicago team.
GM Doug: What does that mean?
VV: It means I bring you class.
tenor.gif

GM Doug: How?
VV: I show up, I watch the games, the camera pans to me, the commentators have some other inane bullsh*t to blab about and, uh, yeah, you look like people think you're relevant because a celebrity likes you.
GM Doug: So you want to be our notable fan?
VV: I AM your notable fan. The Chicago Chimpanzees select Vince Vaughn as their team notable fan!
GM Doug: Can you do that?
VV: Yes. Yes I can. I picked myself
tumblr_inline_mn3a3j94gi1qz4rgp.gif

GM Doug: Fine. Whatever he said. I don't care. This guy, our fan.

images

@CanadianFlyer88 , let's party!

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Cap, MBV is NOT emo, they're 100% Shoegaze. You haven't listened to Loveless? Cap, go listen to Loveless. It's genre-defining.

Who was I getting them mixed up with? Like a few bands all melded together in my head. I know Rocket from the Crypt is one, but it feels like there is another one.

(To the general Quackverse public: As far as naming names goes ... get a grip. This doesn't matter.)

By the way, it has now been 490 days since I last hit the correct key I was aiming for the first time with my typing.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Who was I getting them mixed up with? Like a few bands all melded together in my head. I know Rocket from the Crypt is one, but it feels like there is another one.

(To the general Quackverse public: As far as naming names goes ... get a grip. This doesn't matter.)

By the way, it has now been 490 days since I last hit the correct key I was aiming for the first time with my typing.

If you're thinking emo, maybe you're mixing My Bloody Valentine with My Chemical Romance? If so, you've got...

They might not be your cup of tea, but MBV is worth trying. They've got integrity.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If you're thinking emo, maybe you're mixing My Bloody Valentine with My Chemical Romance? If so, you've got...

They might not be your cup of tea, but MBV is worth trying. They've got integrity.

My Chemical Romance is definitely the one I was thinking of. Superchunk is my Quackverse band lol - I know them very well.

Reactions: BiggE and mja

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This category has been giving me extreme anxiety - there are just too many f***ing options. But I think I have come to the correct conclusion, and I'll tell you what really put it over the top. I love his work, and his entire approach to cinema has been a Godsend, but it's that animated sequence from "Kill Bill" that does it for me. I want someone who can make films and series about the Lapins and the Quackverse at large, and the fact that he did that sequence, and got it to look the way he did (though I am aware it was Katsuji Morishita who was nominally in charge of it) really made up my mind. Imagine him making films about the whole experience out there in the unknown. Amazeballs.

quentin-tarantino-hateful-eight.jpg

Notable Team Fan - Quentin Tarantino

@BiggE smoke them if you have them.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I know, that's why I used them to finish my sentence (plus it's what naturally came into my head). If I had not been picking for theme, Superchunk or Archers of Loaf would have been my band pick.

My Chemical Romance doesn't have integrity, right? I think that's why I never listened to MBV, because I assumed they were the same.

Reactions: mja and BiggE

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Behave oh pissbag servers!!

To fill our last idiot legend hockey player spot, we will take two time first team all star right winger, Lorne Carr.
This was Lorne when he played for the NY Americans:
View attachment 446835

And here he is much later in life after taking command of the Galactica:
View attachment 446836

So say we frakkin all!

@Hollywood Couturier , let’s wrap this thing up!

He looks super ready to splain some shit.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Las Vegas Desert Ducks will select with their Maximum Chaos selection something that is completely useless because it will go against one of the things i've said that I will never back off of. We will select... The Ability To Go Over The Salary Cap.

Don't worry, there is no salary cap and there never will be one.

@Striiker you're up, that's not cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->