NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE NINE! Part ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
pain

ysb4e0ps9bp61.jpg
It's ok bud, only 73 year olds make fun of typos

Reactions: ajgoal and Striiker

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I will of course be taking my team motto from "One Piece," because it represents everything I, and by extension my organization, stands for. When you stand for something on Earth Prime, it is a huge waste of time the vast majority of time. Hopefully the Quackverse will be less antagonistic toward romanticism.

Because I am hardcore spoilering the series until I catch up, I can't go get the exact instance of this quote, but the spirit of it is embodied in the farewell to Vivi at the end of the Alabasta sequence, one of the most heartbreaking but emotionally satisfying scenes I have ever been blessed to witness. The series had long since established itself as an epic classic for the canon, but this showed just how much depth was in store.

Team Motto - You Will Always Be Our Nakama

@CanadianFlyer88

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I will of course be taking my team motto from "One Piece," because it represents everything I, and by extension my organization, stands for. When you stand for something on Earth Prime, it is a huge waste of time the vast majority of time. Hopefully the Quackverse will be less antagonistic toward romanticism.

Because I am hardcore spoilering the series until I catch up, I can't go get the exact instance of this quote, but the spirit of it is embodied in the farewell to Vivi at the end of the Alabasta sequence, one of the most heartbreaking but emotionally satisfying scenes I have ever been blessed to witness. The series had long since established itself as an epic classic for the canon, but this showed just how much depth was in store.

Team Motto - You Will Always Be Our Nakama

@CanadianFlyer88

tumblr_o4us0nPCmx1urf1kao1_400.gif

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
We are a fish franchise, after all. And we also have Roman roots through our historical figure. We strive to be the best, on and off the ice, in whatever form that takes in the Quackverse.

Therefore, the Seattle Sockeyes are proud to announce our team motto capite nobis, si potes, which translates to "catch us, if you can". :naughty:

@pit, bring the funk.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Doug-Armstrong.jpg

GM Doug: I'm a pretty simple guy.

Gump Worsley:
tenor.gif

GM Doug: Pull. Yes, sim-pull. I'm simple and I like information being straightforward.
Gump: Because you're d-u-m-b.
GM Doug: Right, I remember someone warning me about getting this guy.
Gump: Someone should have warned you about getting that lobotomy.
GM Doug: Just going to ignore that guy. Anyway, basics are best. So when it comes to getting the weather, I want someone who is going to give it to me straight.
Gump: Whoever is giving it to you probably isn't straight.
GM Doug: Gump, zero tolerance for homophobia old man, get that s**t out of here.
Gump: Okay, sorry.
GM Doug: For our weatherman, the Chimpanzees are pleased to select Ollie Williams.

UncommonTallBluefish-size_restricted.gif

@Rebels57 , you gon' pick! (For real, actual notification from me for a pick).

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Doug-Armstrong.jpg

GM Doug: I'm a pretty simple guy.

Gump Worsley:
tenor.gif

GM Doug: Pull. Yes, sim-pull. I'm simple and I like information being straightforward.
Gump: Because you're d-u-m-b.
GM Doug: Right, I remember someone warning me about getting this guy.
Gump: Someone should have warned you about getting that lobotomy.
GM Doug: Just going to ignore that guy. Anyway, basics are best. So when it comes to getting the weather, I want someone who is going to give it to me straight.
Gump: Whoever is giving it to you probably isn't straight.
GM Doug: Gump, zero tolerance for homophobia old man, get that s**t out of here.
Gump: Okay, sorry.
GM Doug: For our weatherman, the Chimpanzees are pleased to select Ollie Williams.

UncommonTallBluefish-size_restricted.gif

@Rebels57 , you gon' pick! (For real, actual notification from me for a pick).
I was going to pick him but decided he might get too repetitive on the trip to the quackverse. He's one of my favorite gag characters on family guy. Him and Fouad

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Honolulu Ghibli passionately declares as its Team Motto: "Only connect!"

The line is taken from Howards End by E.M. Forster -- one of the finest novels by one of the finest novelists you can find. And a masterpiece of a movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson (it's on Netflix). Hey, can't pick tip if no one would ever select it!

The passage in full:
Only connect! That was her whole sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer. Only connect, and the beast and the monk, robbed of the isolation that is life to either, will die.

Connection, empathy -- between coaches and players; different parts of hockey ops; team and fans -- is the heartbeat of our organization. But not only the interpersonal but the intra-personal, to which the passage alludes. We must unite the opposing forces in ourselves, as pertains to a hockey world so often philosophically at war with itself. That is to say the passion and the prose of sport. Only connect!

@mja -- connecting on over to you, bud

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
For Team Notable Fan, the New Jersey Zeppelins decided we needed someone who not only turned heads when he or she walked into the arena, but who could also jump onto the ice to help out the team if needed at a pivotal moment of the game if we're ever up against some galactic hooligans. Unfortunately, after an exhaustive search we were unable to find someone..…

IQBmXWgXZcTWaA59lcXMCpiBK0W4ZiGoZcAP1b6CB_aYwjgVuNfLadd9Eu0Xq9pUw3ylyCBlOK5_tvsgIo94gTtBk_7oNQPX5C0YPRTRI44vNwtV-tcfpCmBmYoznoXbkq8XI8YO

Wait, Bill Murray? But you own the Stay-Pufts, we can’t take you. Wait, or can we?

Hmmmm…..interesting.....

Bill Murray, this is likely to be a big deal, do you think you can handle it?

7e92a1e05f97637f51b406a0fc43863a.gif

Awesome, and no worries, we won't ask you to play defense.

We do expect a protest from His Defectiveness and haven't checked with league offices, but we've consulted with our lawyers and believe we are on firm legal footing and hereby select Bill Murray from Space Jam (the celebrity character / would-be basketball star, not the real-life actor) as our Team Notable Fan.

giphy.gif

And @Lord Defect, it could be worse. We also considered needing to select someone wily enough to survive a Zombie Apocalypse, at least until a practical joke goes awry, such as the character [RANCH] from the film [RANCH].

@Chuck Downie, over to you

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
We do expect a protest from His Defectiveness and haven't checked with league offices, but we've consulted with our lawyers and believe we are on firm legal footing and hereby select Bill Murray from Space Jam (the celebrity character / would-be basketball star, not the real-life actor) as our Team Notable Fan.

No. Definitely not.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
No. Definitely not.

Respectfully, he is a character no different than any of the other of dozens of characters who have been selected. That he shares a name with real person is pure coincidence, as they always stipulate at the end of the credits of films.

The real life Bill Murray obviously did not play in an alien basketball game.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Good morning to all the spouses complaining about old-man smells, and to everyone else as well.

bGHPkI0.png

Once mja replaces that non-pick, we will start the day with @Chuck Downie on the clock, @Strawberry Fields on deck, and @Young Sandwich on the lido deck with a pair.

I have a million things to do at the moment. including making my pick in the Mock, so monitor yourselves for the time being and don't make me get my belt. While you are behaving yourselves, please enjoy this classic from my band, Superchunk.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Respectfully, he is a character no different than any of the other of dozens of characters who have been selected. That he shares a name with real person is pure coincidence, as they always stipulate at the end of the credits of films.

The real life Bill Murray obviously did not play in an alien basketball game.

This is just about the easiest category to fill that we have ever had, and you want me to believe that you are going to fill it with a character from f***ing "Space Jam"? No. He already selected Bill Murray. Bill Murray played himself in f***ing "Space Jam."

Stop arguing semantics with me and make a real pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad