NHL maps out major changes (Realignment to 4 divisions?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
There is no way to satisfy everybody here, this option makes the most sense. We're in store for the Second Toledo War if a compromise isn't worked out to satisfy both Detroit and Columbus and this is likely the only way to do it.

Plus, baseball gets along fine with the uneven divisions for as much as everyone gripes.

The answer to quieting teams like the Red Wings is letting visiting teams get a cut of the gate revenue while on the road.

I'd want it to be a small cut...so awful teams aren't propped up by being in a division with good fan support....but it is an idea that could make re-alignment for some teams a lot more bearable.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Just a thought..

Maybe the unevenness of the divisions leaves the door open to expansion, something the NHL was seriously considering pre-recession.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Of course there are other reasons. The out of control spending, the lack of parity, the lack of replay challenges, steroids, etc.

But hey, it's weird that Pirates are in the NLC where they have to travel all the way down to Houston 10 times a year or whatever it is and vice versa.

:facepalm:

You know baseball is played in 2 to 4 game series, normally 3, right?? They make 3 trips, not 10.

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
:facepalm:

You know baseball is played in 2 to 4 game series, normally 3, right?? They make 3 trips, not 10.

It is still messed up. Pittsburgh should be in the NL East.

I actually don't have a problem with uneven divisions... provided there is a provision where the 5th best team in the 8 team division can bump the 4th best team in the 7 team division out of the playoffs if they have more points.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Just a thought..

Maybe the unevenness of the divisions leaves the door open to expansion, something the NHL was seriously considering pre-recession.

Quite possible.

And there's been a lot of expression of desire to have every team to play home-and-away against all other teams (at least).

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Meh, it's still dumb that the Pirates are in the Central though. The MLB, next to the NBA, is the worst run league in North America

No, what's dumb is that Houston is, but there isn't really anywhere else to put them.

Pittsburgh in the central makes a decent amount of sense.

Distances from Pittsburgh in miles
Cincy - 289
Chicago - 462
Milwaukee - 548
St. Louis - 605
Houston - 1341

Philly - 304
New York - 385
Atlanta - 691
Miami - 1178
Washington - 247

Being in the east wouldn't be THAT much better for them

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
No, what's dumb is that Houston is, but there isn't really anywhere else to put them.

Pittsburgh in the central makes a decent amount of sense.

Distances from Pittsburgh in miles
Cincy - 289
Chicago - 462
Milwaukee - 548
St. Louis - 605
Houston - 1341

Philly - 304
New York - 385
Atlanta - 691
Miami - 1178
Washington - 247

Being in the east wouldn't be THAT much better for them
I guess so. Though maybe you could put Houston in the AL West with the other Texan team?

Also, I forgot to mention... the MLB really should figure out the whole DH thing. Make the leagues even for crying out loud

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
I guess so. Though maybe you could put Houston in the AL West with the other Texan team?

Also, I forgot to mention... the MLB really should figure out the whole DH thing. Make the leagues even for crying out loud

Disagree. I like that the leagues have that difference. It makes the styles of baseball different.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Quite possible.

And there's been a lot of expression of desire to have every team to play home-and-away against all other teams (at least).

Not sure how they'd do it, but if it's something like this:

Divisions of 7
6 games x 6 teams = 36
2 games x 23 teams = 46
Total 82

Divisions of 8
6 games x 7 teams = 42
2 games x 22 teams = 44
Total of 86

Divisions of 8 teams wouldn't quite get the 2 games against every team to fit in an 82-game Season.

But hell, if that's the only objective (which I know it likely isn't), they could still have a scheduling format with 6 Divisions that allows for 2 games against virtually all teams:

6 games x 4 teams = 24
4 games x 5 teams (one in Conference Division, alternating every other Season) = 20
2 games x 20 teams = 40
Total 84 games

chihawkswi

Jun 1, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
I don't see the big fuss with two 8 team divisions and two 7 team divisions. If it is a 16/14 split both divisions in each conference will have the same number of teams. It's not like the Hawks will have to beat out 7 other teams while the Sharks only have to beat out 6 other teams. Every team will have the same path to the playoffs as their conference opposition. And like it has been stated this leaves room for westward expansion.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
In truth, that is the single sole benefit to this Bettman idea. That's not good enough reason to do it though.

I agree...but it's something. Should have never been dropped in my opinion....kept the fan interest there. Even if you got hammered on in your divisional playoff 3 games to none...it was still "playoffs".

I just hope they don't re-align based on who the "hot" teams are right now...I'd prefer cut & dry lines drawn geographically.....base it on nothing more than that. Rivalries might factor into it....but they only cover so many teams. The rest you have to come up with another reason to lump them together.

Again.....I might work on an alignment proposal soon (I know I promised this ages ago...but I had crap to do) and hopefully will be able to get some good discussion on here about it.

Like the NHL...I have a year to figure it out.

Last edited:

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Disagree. I like that the leagues have that difference. It makes the styles of baseball different.
No, it makes for uneven play. An AL team has a lineup of 9 hitters. NL Teams have eight. So unless the NL team has home field advantage (Giants in last year's WS), the AL team often wins.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

chihawkswi

Jun 1, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
No, it makes for uneven play. An AL team has a lineup of 9 hitters. NL Teams have eight. So unless the NL team has home field advantage (Giants in last year's WS), the AL team often wins.

When the NL team goes to the AL's ballpark, they play with 9 hitters too. It's not like they are forced to have the pitcher bat still.

And when the AL team goes to the NL ballpark they are at the same disadvantage the NL team has with only 8 hitters.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
But most NL Teams don't have a DH type hitter sitting on their bench, do they? So when they visit an AL Team, they often play a regular player, while an AL team plays well...a DH player. All an AL Team has to do is find a big guy with muscles and sign him as a DH and sit his ass on the bench until he's up in the lineup.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
When the NL team goes to the AL's ballpark, they play with 9 hitters too. It's not like they are forced to have the pitcher bat still.

And when the AL team goes to the NL ballpark they are at the same disadvantage the NL team has with only 8 hitters.

Pitchers are either used to hitting....or they aren't. Bottom line.

Who cares about baseball anyway? We're talking hockey here.....show some respect!

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Alex stop talking about other sports. You are a hockey head who lives in Calgary (very small for NA standards) and has only one major team in his area. You know nothing about these leagues.

Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->