NHL maps out major changes (Realignment to 4 divisions?)

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2011/06/22/18321961.html?cid=rsssportsslam! hockey

2. MoreOrr

MoreOrr B4

3. r0bert8841

r0bert8841 Registered User

I like the idea of having both Detroit and Columbus in the East! I personally think Rick Nash will start tearing it up, which is great for the Jackets fans. I feel most superstars (especially those on weaker teams) would do much better in the East than the West.

Its also promising to hear that Bettman may actually keep his promise with the Wings, which may be a shocker to those who follow the organization.

4. Brodie

Brodie Marxist-Harbaughist

There's too many teams in the East division, even if you shift both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh into the south. So either Detroit or New Jersey has to suck it up and go in the south. Or they could do it this way:

East: Montreal, Boston, NYR, NYI, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Washington

Midwest: Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Columbus, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Minnesota

Then the other conference:

South: Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Nashville, St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado

Pacific: LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg

5. r0bert8841

r0bert8841 Registered User

Ya the conferences are still split up 15/15 so, 2 teams are moving West, 1 being Winnepeg. Whose the 2nd? Toronto? I think that would probably be the only way to minimize the lost revenue of Western teams from the removal from Detroit from their schedules.

Edit: I think it would be sort of cool if Canada had their own division. 4 teams in each division make the playoffs, thats huge revenue for the NHL.

6. garry1221

garry1221 Registered User

Home Page:
    I think a few thinking too hard about an east/west alignment. If what's stated in this article are true, there's going to be a much bigger shakeup. What I see coming out of that article looks more like
    Pacific: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver
    Midwest: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St Louis, Winnipeg
    NE: Boston, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto
    SE: Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, NY Isles, NY Rangers, Philly, Tampa Bay, Washington

The article also states that the 'conference' size stays the same, so 1 ETZ and one not. Since it's not strictly east/west, I see the possibility for swapping divisions in a year or two. See what gets the best ratings or hottest rivalries. Maybe start w/ NE/Midwest, SE/Pacific.

7. Jumbo*

Jumbo* Guest

Not a fan at all just by the fact that one Division has 7 teams and one has 8. What kind of BS is that?

Hey Bettman your all about "EQUALITY" right with your terrible salary cap, now you want this garbage?

8. WingsFan95

WingsFan95 Registered User

Office Job
    FINALLY!!!

I've been praying for 2 divisions to come back, having 3 divisions always means there's a joke division where only one, maybe two teams make playoffs.

East:
    Habs
    Bruins
    NYR
    NYI
    NJ
    Sens
    Caps
    Canes

Central:
    Pens
    Flyers
    Wings
    Jackets
    Leafs
    Sabres
    Hawks

South West
    Bolts
    Panthers
    Preds
    Blues
    Stars
    Wild
    Avs

Pacific:
    Kings
    Ducks
    Sharks
    Nucks
    Oil
    Flames
    Jets
    Yotes

9. BoHorvatFan

BoHorvatFan Registered User

I don't think it's fair when some divisions have more teams than others. Take baseball for example, AL West teams have such an advantage playing in a 4 team division compared to the NL Central which has 6 teams.

Having 7 in some and 8 in others is not fair IMO.

10. Jumbo*

Jumbo* Guest

Funny how you stick the extra team in the division where your wings aren't :rolleyes: I wouldnt get too excited skippy, this is never going to happen.

11. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    Toronto would not be moving West to facilitate a Columbus move to the East.

12. Brodie

I actually think it has a very good chance of happening. For what it's worth, Detroit would probably end up in a 8 team division anyway.

13. BoHorvatFan

BoHorvatFan Registered User

Plus having the Pens, Flyers, Wings, and Hawks in the same division is pretty crazy. That could be next years final 4 teams.

14. gee

gee Registered User

variation of this - which was a north, east, west and central

[​IMG]

15. IU Hawks fan

IU Hawks fan They call me IU

That's completely false!

The AL West is often the toughest division the game. People like to look at it as in the AL West you have a 1/4th shot to win the division and in the NL Central you have a 1/6th, and that's a really bad way to look at it. More teams in a division means MORE GAMES AGAINST BAD TEAMS in your division. The NL Central is usually the easiest division to win because the Pirates and at least 1 of the Cubs, Reds, Brewers, and Astros are always terrible. The Angels, A's, Mariners, and Rangers would all KILL to be swapped with an NL Central team.

16. Alex The Loyal

Alex The Loyal Grimace Returns

Uneven divisions? For the love of God Bettman, don't wade into MLB territory

17. Jumbo*

Jumbo* Guest

Or more games against good teams?

Your argument fails.

18. IU Hawks fan

IU Hawks fan They call me IU

No, it doesn't, because the teams aren't ever good. The Cardinals are the only consistently good team in the division. All the others are usually quite mediocre. The NL Central has been the worst division in the game for years.

19. Brodie

There is no way to satisfy everybody here, this option makes the most sense. We're in store for the Second Toledo War if a compromise isn't worked out to satisfy both Detroit and Columbus and this is likely the only way to do it.

Plus, baseball gets along fine with the uneven divisions for as much as everyone gripes.

20. Alex The Loyal

The MLB's popularity has plummeted. Baseball, the sport itself is doing fine and will always do fine. But until MLB has a huge re-haul, everyone will look at them and say "Don't be like that league"

21. MoreOrr

MoreOrr B4

There are other alternatives. The biggest roadblock to alignment is the impractical East-West Conference split. Get away from that and then there's no need for huge 8-team Divisions and one Conference with 14 teams and the other with 16 teams. There's no sense in trying to divide the Conferences by some strict geographical format.

22. DrVanntastic

DrVanntastic Registered User

The MLB's "plummet" in popularity has nothing to do with the league/division alignment. I think you need to look at steroids and a strike for that. If anything, their division alignment helped their popularity as it necessitated the wild card.

As for Bettman's proposal, I am all for anything that brings back divisional playoffs.

23. Brodie

the decline in interest in MLB has nothing to do with divisional alignment. It's a natural evolution that's been going on for over 20 years, ever since the cocaine scandals of the 80's. Since then labor strife, steroids, an arcane adherence to outmoded rules and the general loss of younger fans have all weakened MLB. The AL West is the least of MLB's problems

24. Jeffrey93

Jeffrey93 Registered User

Divisional play as the first round eh? Sounds sort of familiar......

25. Alex The Loyal

Of course there are other reasons. The out of control spending, the lack of parity, the lack of replay challenges, steroids, etc.

But hey, it's weird that Pirates are in the NLC where they have to travel all the way down to Houston 10 times a year or whatever it is and vice versa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.