News Article: NHL Makes Yet Another Bad Decision On Discipline With Hiring Of Chris Pronger

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Quite honestly, I feel like too much is being made of this.

Personal feelings aside, good article nonetheless, Gann.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Possibly, but at best, it's a PR nightmare. I just don't see a best case scenario that overrides all the negative press/thoughts that can come with a team employee having full input on league operations and all the conflict-of-interest implications every last bit of feedback will entail.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
The biggest problem with this is that Pronger is still under contract with the Flyers, the NHL is basically supporting cap circumvention. They should force Pronger to retire before he can take this position.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Possibly, but at best, it's a PR nightmare. I just don't see a best case scenario that overrides all the negative press/thoughts that can come with a team employee having full input on league operations and all the conflict-of-interest implications every last bit of feedback will entail.

That was pretty much my first thought. For example ,what if the Flyers are neck an neck with the Caps for the last playoff spot and he has to make a ruling on a potential illegal hit and the Caps are one of the teams involved? Or what if the Flyers are involved and the other team ends up losing points due to the suspension or the Flyers player doesn’t get suspended ? You don’t think that the fans of that team won’t be pissed up. Just opens a big can of worm.s
He said yesterday on Hockey Central at Noon that he doesn’t feel him being an employee of the Flyers will make him partial. He also said he doesn’t have the final say. But given he’s one of the dirtiest players in NHL history, it makes no sense at all.

He’s a paid employee of an NHL team and therefore, should not be working for the NHL.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011

I agree with that entirely.

The guy might do an outstanding job, who knows, but many will never overcome him as a player or the fact that there is seemingly a potential conflict of interest.

I don't think it would ever get a to a point like the example above. The guy would be under so much scrutiny, and if there was blatant favoritism he would be fired and the call/punishment would likely be overturned. It's not just he who makes the decisions, it's a team.

Still a PR nightmare though.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

The guy might do an outstanding job, who knows, but many will never overcome him as a player or the fact that there is seemingly a potential conflict of interest.

I don't think it would ever get a to a point like the example above. The guy would be under so much scrutiny, and if there was blatant favoritism he would be fired and the call/punishment would likely be overturned. It's not just he who makes the decisions, it's a team.

I think I am one of the few that think he is prefect for the job. He knows exactly what to look for since he probably did most of the rotten things he is going to be looking at.
But I am also so very against this for the appearance of the conflict of interest. It goes so deep. It's great that he can't be part of anything involving the Flyers team. But as has been point out he can help with those in the division and conference. As well as on teams that could play the Flyers within the time period someone could be out.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That was pretty much my first thought. For example ,what if the Flyers are neck an neck with the Caps for the last playoff spot and he has to make a ruling on a potential illegal hit and the Caps are one of the teams involved? Or what if the Flyers are involved and the other team ends up losing points due to the suspension or the Flyers player doesn’t get suspended ? You don’t think that the fans of that team won’t be pissed up. Just opens a big can of worm.s
He said yesterday on Hockey Central at Noon that he doesn’t feel him being an employee of the Flyers will make him partial. He also said he doesn’t have the final say. But given he’s one of the dirtiest players in NHL history, it makes no sense at all.

He’s a paid employee of an NHL team and therefore, should not be working for the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's got the Paul Stewart thing going for him. I have no doubt, with his hockey mind, that he will be at least good at the job. And I agree--I don't think he'll be in any really extreme situations. I just think, even if as partial as it gets, there will always be lingering thoughts--and that's exactly why organizations usually stay away from things like nepotism/conflict-of-interest situations. You could do everything right, but if there is even one link (i.e. maybe Pronger fought the guy years ago), you can be sure someone on the internet will dig it up. As a 'current player,' every move he makes will be overly scrutinized. And I can't wait for the jokes--only two games due to Pronger Physics, of course he was suspended because the bruins are chasing the flyers in the standings, etc...

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
I think I am one of the few that think he is prefect for the job. He knows exactly what to look for since he probably did most of the rotten things he is going to be looking at.

But I am also so very against this for the appearance of the conflict of interest. It goes so deep. It's great that he can't be part of anything involving the Flyers team. But as has been point out he can help with those in the division and conference. As well as on teams that could play the Flyers within the time period someone could be out.

the conflict of interest to me is a major issue. if this was a court case and conflict existed with the laywer - client - judge it wouldn't go to trial.

my biggest issue is tied to your first point. yes, he will know because he likely did most of all the crap guys will pull. the problem i have with him though is because of his on ice actions. as someone said, it is like making J Gotti the new head of the FBI.

it won't surprise me if the players end up having significant issue with his rulings and will make comments about him doing the same when he played. Shanny wasn't some choir boy, but he also wasn't a total ***** and ****** to opposing players. Pronger was notorious for being an outright dick on the ice and would take liberties.

Shanny at least i think was a straight up guy, where as Pronger would probably slew foot his mother if it meant winning a game.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

As I stated in the story, that could very well come to pass, if Pronger lives up to his responsibilities. That said, the questions shouldn't have to be asked, and that's unavoidable now.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

I think I said all this in my story. :)

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The conflict of interest is a joke. I just don't get how they can do that without protests from all the NHL teams. It probably doesn't help the Flyers either as every time there is a disciplinary incident involving them it will become a circus and therefore a distraction.

However once he has no contract with the Flyers I have no problem at all with the appointment. As long as he does a good job I don't care what he did as a player. If people can't get over that and differentiate the two things, in my view, they need to grow up a little.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Pronger should have to be retired officially as a player before he is allowed to take this position, but oops that would put the Flyers and Mr. Snider in cap hell.

Not a good decision by the NHL, and I don't care how good Pronger is at this job.

Captain Mittens*

Pronger should have to be retired officially as a player before he is allowed to take this position, but oops that would put the Flyers and Mr. Snider in cap hell.

Not a good decision by the NHL, and I don't care how good Pronger is at this job.

I think that is all that needs to be said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad