NHL Local (Not National) TV Contracts By Value

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
I think you can add in the SJ Sharks contract at 7 million/year even though they they are trying to increase it.

I think I remember hearing the Blackhawks are at 20million/year but can anyone confirm?

After the new CDN TV contract kicks in, local TV will start being the driver in growth going forward teams with weak contacts will not be able to spend to cap. This IMO will be more important than ticket sales in 2-4 years.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The Sabres are in the midst of a 10-year contract with MSG Network that runs through the 2016-17 season.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=437214

This deal is a bit unique. I don't think MSG paid much or anything in rights fees, but the Sabres both control the broadcast (including pre- and post-game shows) and sell all of the advertising spots for the broadcasts.

MSG is basically getting free programming for their upstate broadcast area, while the money that Buffalo makes from the deal is from controlling the sale of advertising and generating that revenue directly. I don't know how much that amounts too, but the Sabres get very strong local ratings, so the advertising must go for a substantial amount.

This is very different than the other NYC-based teams that MSG carries - in those cases, MSG controls the production of the broadcast and the sale of the advertising.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
Rogers sportsnet and the Canadiens have reached an agreement today for english local rights.

42 regional games, until the 2016-2017 season, no mention of the financial aspect.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Toronto is owned by two media companies. There will be no re-upping of a deal. Their local rights will be shared between Rogers and Bell. There will have to be an arbitrary $ value attached to it for CBA purposes but it will be as low as reasonably allowed.

Yep, I was going to say Bell and Rogers won't be charging each other and arm and leg.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Toronto is owned by two media companies. There will be no re-upping of a deal. Their local rights will be shared between Rogers and Bell. There will have to be an arbitrary $ value attached to it for CBA purposes but it will be as low as reasonably allowed.

You really think the NHLPA won't file a grievance if the Maple Leafs don't sign a TV deal that is somewhere close to market value (based on the fact that the players get 50% of that revenue for their wages)? Now the Leafs have the least amount of games for their local deal (41?), but if the new deal is anything less than ~60+ million, I see some major issues coming from it.

It would also be very short sighted for the owners to negotiate a sweetheart deal. While it benefits them as long as they own the Leafs... it does nothing for the Leafs should they sell the team at some point. Besides... as owners for the Leafs, they also get a large portion of that money back.

Les Habitants

Jul 21, 2010
Montreal
Montreal will be #1 for a very short time, and then Toronto will re-up their deal and morph over everyone else again. Toronto could be the first team to hit 100 million a year. They'll be close to 70 IMO in this contract.

If you compare the Leafs to the Habs French language contract, absolutely! But I believe Habs/Leafs will be even or Habs slightly above the Leafs when you add the French and English deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad