NHL Live changes to only NHL Network, with (late) afternoon time

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
So another On The Fly re-air at noon? That'd be great for days like today where I didn't wake up til noon and wanted my fix before class.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
http://www.xmhomeice.com/onair_audio/11-04-04 Joe Thistel .MP3

NHL Live is moving from simulcast (on Sirius/XM) to only NHL Network, and changing time to 4-6pm ET (1-3 PT) starting 4/13.

Power Play will only be on Sirius/XM (opposite NHL Live).

New show on Sirius/XM 12-2 ET (9-11am PT) with Gord Stelick called Breakaway.

I guess that's the end of Don Lagreca on NHL Live since that's right in the heart of his duties with Michael Kay. Either that or he can find a way to continue doing both, or he gives up on NY radio altogether.

I can't say that I enjoyed Power Play much but I'm not crazy about NHL Live moving to tv only. I'm guessing many of the listener calls will go away and I'll miss watching and/or listening to Live during lunch. The only positive I see is that maybe they can actually move it to a studio instead of it's current fish bowl radio setting.

graykt

Sep 26, 2006
New Hampster
I realize things change, and nothing stays the same but this is a big mistake by the NHL. :shakehead

They could have moved The Power Play to the noon-2p slot and kept NHL Live on the radio - which is probably where most folks catch the show in the first place.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I realize things change, and nothing stays the same but this is a big mistake by the NHL. :shakehead

They could have moved The Power Play to the noon-2p slot and kept NHL Live on the radio - which is probably where most folks catch the show in the first place.

Outside the names, is there a big difference between the different shows on Home Ice? It isn't like NHL Live had a consistent host the last couple years. So in the end NHL Live is going to get a replaced by something very similar. Not a big loss for the league.

By the same fashion they are basically taking the NHL Live name (and maybe some of the same people as the rotating hosts were mostly TV people anyways) and making it into a 2 hour pre-game show for the network. Something the channel probably needs. I'm guessing the format of it on TV only will be very different.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I heard this today on the radio and was shocked. So is it the consensus that this is all to create a pre-game show on the NHL network rather than just dropping NHL Live from Sirius XM (I ask because my first thought was why SiriusXM is dropping NHL Live)?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even though NHL PP is kind of boring, I prefer it over NHL Live which should be renamed Rangers Live. I understand the show is in New York, but come on there are 29 other teams.

MorrisWanchuk

Sep 23, 2008
Even though NHL PP is kind of boring, I prefer it over NHL Live which should be renamed Rangers Live. I understand the show is in New York, but come on there are 29 other teams.

i guess this is why i like it so much - lol.

seriously though, if you are a rangers fan you CANNOT get on air on any sports show in the city. not on radio, not on TV. i'm envious of Canadian fans especially who get great hockey coverage.

there are so many fans of many USA hockey teams that have no platform to get together and listen to hockey talk. i think the nhl needs to do an even better job of programming, ideally simulcasted on all of the nhl network, the website and radio.

If there were talk shows 12-2, 2-4, 4-6 across the platforms so many more viewers/listeners would come across.

bit of a rambling reply - point is we could do with more content, not less !

MorrisWanchuk

Sep 23, 2008
on another note

nhl network is to be commended on getting some college and ahl games. But come on - there are so many repeats of programming that we could have so much more on the network.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad