NHL likely to implement shootouts, other changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Put a hockey guy in charge of the NHL...now there's a novel idea!

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Spungo said:
Shootouts are a universally accepted way to determine a winner and a loser, you can't escape that fact either.

Then why isn't the NHL going to use them in the postseason? Are the Stanley Cup playoffs not part of your universe?

Looks like I just escaped that "fact."

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Takeo said:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Do they decide football games with field goal kicking contests?? Baseball games with a home-run derby??
Football games rarely end in ties. Baseball games never do. You're talking apples and oranges.

Actually NFL games are settled by a coin flip, followed by field goal kicking contest. :)

Baseball - well there was that one ASG.

Seriously, though, I have no problem with regular season ties - lengthen the OT to 10 minutes or a full period and the # of ties will drop by 75%. MLB plays 162 games, back-to-back games virtually every day, and they still play extra innings no matter how long it takes (my personal record a 16 inning game at Shea).

The SC playoffs, no ties, so shootouts, OT until you drop.

Spungo*

NJD Jester said:
Then why isn't the NHL going to use them in the postseason? Are the Stanley Cup playoffs not part of your universe?

Looks like I just escaped that "fact."

Because playoff games NEVER end in ties. If playoff games were allowed to end in ties, I would be all for shootouts in the playoffs too. Luckily, they don't.

Overtime in the NHL playoffs is the most exciting aspect of any sport in human history as far as I'm concerned. A 1-1 regular season tie between the Predators and Blue Jackets isn't.

Spungo*

HckyFght said:
This idea, along with so many others, is simply atrocious. How many goals is a minor infraction really worth? In a game where a 4-3 score is a lot, you now want a team to be able to score again and again because of some minor incident? Jeez, this league really does have basketball envy.

Full 2 minute penalties were part of the game untill the Oilers became unstopable on the PP. The rule was changed basically due to one team. There is no reason a penalty should end after a goal is scored. Absolutely none. You get a 2 minute penalty, you serve 2 minutes. It's simple as that. You get a 5 minute penalty in todays NHL and you serve the full 5 minutes, regardless of how many goals are scored. Why should 2 minute penalties be different? Johnny Cluth N' Grab would think twice before hauling down a rushing forward if he had to spend the full2 in the box.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Spungo said:
Full 2 minute penalties were part of the game untill the Oilers became unstopable on the PP. The rule was changed basically due to one team. There is no reason a penalty should end after a goal is scored. Absolutely none. You get a 2 minute penalty, you serve 2 minutes. It's simple as that. You get a 5 minute penalty in todays NHL and you serve the full 5 minutes, regardless of how many goals are scored. Why should 2 minute penalties be different? Johnny Cluth N' Grab would think twice before hauling down a rushing forward if he had to spend the full2 in the box.

Sorry, bub, I think you're off by a couple decades in your hockey history. Beliveau and the Habs led to the end of the full 2 minute minor... The Oilers saw the creation of the offsetting minor because they were so effective 4 on 4.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
just to jump into the shoot out discussion...

i think the most exciting thing would probably be

5 minutes 5 on 5
10 minutes 4 on 4
5 minutes 3 on 3
Shootout

or something similar to that

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Spungo said:
Because playoff games NEVER end in ties. If playoff games were allowed to end in ties, I would be all for shootouts in the playoffs too. Luckily, they don't.

Overtime in the NHL playoffs is the most exciting aspect of any sport in human history as far as I'm concerned. A 1-1 regular season tie between the Predators and Blue Jackets isn't.

This could be a real breakthrough in our relationship -- are you saying that you'd prefer to play overtime until you have a winner rather than having a shootout? Say, 4-on-4 and then 3-on-3 in the regular season?

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Patman said:
So, why does soccer need the shootout? It would seem that it would be better to play until somebody scores.

because the average of goals in soccer is like 0.5 goals per game?
:biglaugh:

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
For all of the people who "hate the OTL point" you would rather go back to OT where each team spends OT perfecting their dump-in? It made the OT period a ridiculous waste of time.

My choices for deciding a tie game after 60 minutes would be.

1. 5 on 5 Sudden Death OT - I know all of the reasons against it...but **** the networks.
2. 4 on 4 Suddent Death OT- Whatever yanks yer crank, Gary.
3. 5 on 5 5 minute OT, SO - The shutouts are for the fans. if it affects the final standings and a team misses out because of the SO...guess they should get a better Goaltender or better 1 on 1 guys.

so on and so forth.

totally offtopic, but the return of the "Delayed Offsides" is also a mistake in my opinion. Where is the skill in dumping the puck in constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->