NHL likely to implement shootouts, other changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spankatola Jamnuts*

It's only a start, though. Players will adapt, Milbury said, adding that the next crackdown on obstruction during NHL games will succeed.

No, it won't. It'll take all of ONE game before some short-sighted chumps in the media, the front offices, and here online will be whining over-officiating.

chiavsfan

It's also an ESPN article, who knows nothing about hockey to begin with...so we will just have to wait an see

Although everyone else is reporting it, so it's most likely true. Now lets get this pesky CBA out of the way, and things just might be looking up

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
Chock Full Of Booger said:
No, it won't. It'll take all of ONE game before some short-sighted chumps in the media, the front offices, and here online will be whining over-officiating.

Id have to agree. Ill believe it works when I se it. The comments being thrown around now (ie: "it'll be a parade to the penalty box at first, but they'll adjust") were thrown around last time as well. And we all know the result of that crackdown.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Hopefully the view that change is necessary is strong enough now that the dinosaurs' hold on the league will be broken, or at least shaken.

The best solution would be to tell the coaches in no uncertain terms not to coach that way (or the GMs, who pass it along to the coaches). One assumes the players would be on board since its their salary on the line too now that it's going to be linked. But I suspect there'll still be a few dinosaurs among the GMs and coaches *coughQuinncough*, too many for it to work.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
chiavsfan said:
It's also an ESPN article, who knows nothing about hockey to begin with...so we will just have to wait an see

It is on TSN as well now.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
fans are gonna have to buck up and deal with any crackdown on obstruction without whining like babies. that always came with any attempt by the league to stop obstruction

"whah whah i don't want to watch a game full of PP's, they need to stop calling so many penalties" :shakehead

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Great idea, the shootout. Hey, after a full year of a lockout, why not alienate the traditional hockey fan a little more?? I mean, who needs the longtime hockey fan when you're already packing 11,000 people a night into plenty of venues?? :dunno:

Brad*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Great idea, the shootout. Hey, after a full year of a lockout, why not alienate the traditional hockey fan a little more?? I mean, who needs the longtime hockey fan when you're already packing 11,000 people a night into plenty of venues?? :dunno:
How are shootouts after the regular five minute overtime alienating hockey fans?

mooseOAK*

Chock Full Of Booger said:
I think that the solution should be that the player sits the whole two minutes and no icing during the PK, that way coaches will refrain from pushing the obstruction game.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
mooseOAK said:
I think that the solution should be that the player sits the whole two minutes and no icing during the PK, that way coaches will refrain from pushing the obstruction game.

That's sort of what makes sense to me. Possible adjustment is allow a number obstruction fouls (3-5 range per game) after which all obstruction type penalties are the mandatory 2 mins.

And tell the media to get behind the crackdown. They whine enough about all of the obstruction in the modern game, the least they could do is fully support the crackdown and bite their tongues about parades and penalty boxes.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Who cares what other sports do? If it works for hockey, so be it.

Time for hockey to stop trying to be like the other guys and just be itself.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Bring Back Bucky said:
Do they decide football games with field goal kicking contests?? Baseball games with a home-run derby??

No but SOCCER uses the shootout, where the goal of the sport is to put an object in a net. And if im not mistaken, soccer is the most popular sport in the world. Don't get me wrong, I can see WHY people don't like shootouts, because it takes away from the team factor, but im willing to see it tried out. I haven't seen it get any complaints from anyone in the AHL so far. And it will only be used for the regular season and NOT the playoffs, so its a little added spice. I mean soccer has the shootout for its CHAMPIONSHIP games as well.

I guess im just saying ive never been a big fan of the shootout either, but the NHL has been conservative the past many years with making changes, and this doesn't seem that horrible of a change to me. Why not try it out? What if a lot of people start coming to the games because theyll at least get to see someone go home with a win of some sort?

My opinion on it is that im willing to give it a try, especially if tons of other hockey leagues use it.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
babybruin said:
(ie: "it'll be a parade to the penalty box at first, but they'll adjust") were thrown around last time as well. And we all know the result of that crackdown.

And the one before that, and the one before that...

They have to do something more drastic like 5 minute majors after your team is called for obstructions 4 times, or, heaven forbid, a penalty shot (cue rants) somewhat like a freethrow in basketball when a player or team (?) exceeds the amount of 'free' fowls avaialble to each (pardon my non-expertise in basketball, but I like the system I sometimes watch more often on TV these days)

If they try the same old thing like lemmings, of the cliff we go....

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
No but SOCCER uses the shootout, where the goal of the sport is to put an object in a net. And if im not mistaken, soccer is the most popular sport in the world. Don't get me wrong, I can see WHY people don't like shootouts, because it takes away from the team factor, but im willing to see it tried out. I haven't seen it get any complaints from anyone in the AHL so far. And it will only be used for the regular season and NOT the playoffs, so its a little added spice. I mean soccer has the shootout for its CHAMPIONSHIP games as well.

I guess im just saying ive never been a big fan of the shootout either, but the NHL has been conservative the past many years with making changes, and this doesn't seem that horrible of a change to me. Why not try it out? What if a lot of people start coming to the games because theyll at least get to see someone go home with a win of some sort?My opinion on it is that im willing to give it a try, especially if tons of other hockey leagues use it.

That's what's wrong with the nhl today, too much time spent trying to convince people who don't like hockey to watch it.

X0ssbar

Bring Back Bucky said:
Do they decide football games with field goal kicking contests?? Baseball games with a home-run derby??

College football does have a "shoot-out" style system to decide games.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
No but SOCCER uses the shootout, where the goal of the sport is to put an object in a net. And if im not mistaken, soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

ONLY in single elimination cup rounds. I'd figure there is 1 shootout for every 2000 professional matches in the world.

Real frequent.

edit: shoot-out comes on and the TV changes the channel. When it stops being hockey I stop watching.

edit #2: better yet, find me a professional non-hockey league that uses shoot-outs. FYI, MLS did away with them at least 3, maybe even 5 years ago.

Last edited:

ctfan

Oct 2, 2004
I hated the idea of shootouts. But I have to admit I enjoyed it this season in the AHL. I say go for it.

Spankatola Jamnuts*

Bring Back Bucky said:
It's the end of the world!

BOOOOOOOOOOO shutouts.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I wonder if there was the same discussion over the forward pass in hockey when it was illegal. "We gotta stick to tradition" and "it wont be hockey if we start passing the puck forward" arguments. Games change all the TIME.

The shootout wont even be implemented in the playoffs, is it honestly THAT big of a deal? A lot of AHL fans say they enjoy the shootout, so if a lot of people enjoy it, whats so bad about it? Its not that radical of an idea people make it out to be, especially when most NHL fans say the "regular season is meaningless anyway", which I disagree with, but its said over and over again.

SedinFan*

Shootouts aren't bad, but they must only be in the regular season. Not in the Playoffs.

NYRGoalieGlut*

I think all these people crying about tradition and the shootout are unbelievable drama queens. If you don't like it don't watch it. They do it in Europe in the AHL, what's wrong with it? The team losing in the shootout will get the point anyway, if it's like they did in the AHL. The only problem I have with it is that it cheapens an actual penalty shot a bit, but other than that what's there to lose?

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
I wonder if there was the same discussion over the forward pass in hockey when it was illegal. "We gotta stick to tradition" and "it wont be hockey if we start passing the puck forward" arguments. Games change all the TIME.

The shootout wont even be implemented in the playoffs, is it honestly THAT big of a deal? A lot of AHL fans say they enjoy the shootout, so if a lot of people enjoy it, whats so bad about it? Its not that radical of an idea people make it out to be, especially when most NHL fans say the "regular season is meaningless anyway", which I disagree with, but its said over and over again.

The big deal? The shoot-out isn't a little thing, the overtime loss point is not a little thing (we all saw how that didn't work). Just because its change does not make it a positive event. I'm sorry if placating ESPN for a loadable 5 second clip to cut hockey to a total of 4 minutes of hockey for an hour isn't my favorite part of the day. I love how people treat it as both inevitable and will be in hindsight the greatest thing for the sport. That's just plain stupid. I'm damn glad that I won't be foolish enough to pay $50 to see a contest end in a near random skills competition which effectively sells a 60-65 minute product on the two minute after a game is over. This is about selling hockey and the shootout is not hockey.

I mean, the Americans clearly love the shootout so much that the MLS stopped using it. Lets repeat that... a fringe sport in the US (as most people tell me hockey is fringe)... stopped using the shootout when they realized it pissed off the very same people that pay them lots of money in season tickets and merchandise. The MLS realized they had to stop pandering to those who don't care and focus on the real fans. The NHL still doesn't see this.

Let's just skip 3 years of that and pre-emptively eliminate the shootout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->