NHL is damaging its reputation with useless ASG and missing Olympics

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
I like All Star Game and Skills Competition. Nice to see superstars from different teams interact and show some personality. I am actually looking forward to the event. Yeah I know it is cool to hate the event but I think it serves it's purpose. Not everything has to be super serious and competitive.

And watch out for Kreider in the Fastest Skater competition! He will beat McDavid.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Every major sports league has a stupid All-Star Game. The MLB makes theirs matter by awarding home field in the World Series to the winning league ("conference") and that in itself is even stupider.

No reputation harm is being done. The players get a break to heal up for the stretch run. The league puts on a little fan fest in a different city each year with an exhibition game and an irreverent skills competition. Deal with it.
MLB got rid of that back in 2016 iirc? They realized it was stupid and not a good way to make the All Star game meaningful.

I've said it before. I think the way to make it meaningful is make it East vs West again and only the best players get an invite. No more every team has to be represented. Have the winners of the game take home $1 Million each.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
To be fair, I'm glad some of these players are refusing to play. It give new players a chance to experience the All-Star Game. As a Flyers fan, I got to see Giroux play in All Star Game after All Star Game. Now to see TK go play and put on a show, it'll be great. I think there are something like 16 new players to the All Star Game this year. You can be sure that they want to go out and put on a show.

As for the Olympics, I agree. They should be going every 4 years. But I think that the only time the NHL should cancel the All Star Game is when the players are going to the Olympics.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
too gimmicky now. i hate it, havent watched in years.
you go back to the old school contests and beforehand its either a young guns game or an old former players game and ill watch again but until then, nope.

also, 3on3 is stupid for the ASG.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah the Olympics is way more entertaining than the ASG but the IOC is a slimy organization and I don't blame the owners for not sending their "investments" over there to play for free and risk injury. I mean the NHL cant even show Olympic highlights afterwards. They gain nothing from that tournament and have a lot to lose.

Yep. If the Olympics were so great, then the IOC would go back to insuring players like it used to.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I like All Star Game and Skills Competition. Nice to see superstars from different teams interact and show some personality. I am actually looking forward to the event. Yeah I know it is cool to hate the event but I think it serves it's purpose. Not everything has to be super serious and competitive.

And watch out for Kreider in the Fastest Skater competition! He will beat McDavid.
I really think they should add a fastest skater comp but do the lap with the puck. McD would untouchable in that one.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Why not move the World Championships to September where the NHL and the IIHL could team up to make the money off the game instead of giving it to the IOC?

It would less of a hassle for teams in playing regular season games in Europe (or wherever its played) and serve as a warm up to the regular season.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
All these people saying the all Star game is for kids, well even as a kid I found the main game boring. I'd usually watch the skills competition and forget about the game itself.

It's pretty much always been a snooze fest. Just at least then the players going were actually all stars.

Reactions: Gormo

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The All-Star game is for kids. It’s a fun event for young fans of the game. It’s not really surprising that adult fans skip it. Young fans matter and it’s fun for them. It helps grow the game that way.

Also, the NHL loves that it’s a huge corporate sponsorship event. It’s still good for the league, even if guys that are so die-hard that they post on hockey message boards don’t care for it.

Bottom line is that the All Stat event is good for the league, even if your average HFBoards poster doesn’t have any time for it. And that’s okay.

I hate this answer every time. "It's for kids" doesn't excuse the quality of the material. Kids would play with their own literal shit and have a fun time.

This doesn't invalidate the discussion in the slightest. The product is stale and boring. Just because kids like it doesn't mean it justifies a terrible product.

And it's not just this topic either, I see it all the time from the ASG to star wars movies to just about anything.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I hate this answer every time. "It's for kids" doesn't excuse the quality of the material. Kids would play with their own literal **** and have a fun time.

This doesn't invalidate the discussion in the slightest. The product is stale and boring. Just because kids like it doesn't mean it justifies a terrible product.

And it's not just this topic either, I see it all the time from the ASG to star wars movies to just about anything.
I’m saying you can’t fix it. It’s too contrived for adults. We usually don’t like professional wrestling either. It’s forced merriment and that doesn’t appeal to grown ups (typically).

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I think Kris Letang likes going to the All Star Game. He seems to always be a default inclusion for the Penguins probably because the league knows he is always willing to participate.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I’m saying you can’t fix it. It’s too contrived for adults. We usually don’t like professional wrestling either. It’s forced merriment and that doesn’t appeal to grown ups (typically).

I disagree. I liked it even just a few years ago more than I do now. The game as gotten stale. The format is stale. I liked the idea of the draft, it was neat. It went away. Now it is 3 on 3 which was cool, but it is still stale.

Change the format up or something. Something has to happen to make it fresh.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The amount of players refusing to participate in the ASG is becoming pretty overwhelming.

It’s absolutely obvious there’s very few people desiring to watch Kreider vs Bertuzzi vs Tkachuk figure skating with sticks while most fans suffer without real hockey for almost 10 days.

Now, what every hockey fan in the world is waiting for is the best on best Olympics hockey.

The ratings in the USA were amazing for Russia vs USA game despite the early game start.

The NHL needs to abolish the All Star Game whatsoever and replace it with true ASG happening once in four years.

Suffer? I don't think you used that word correctly. 10 days whole days? My word.

rt

May 13, 2004
Since the ASG is for kids and all, they should just have the Carolina Hurricanes show up to perform three hours worth of tiktok dances.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they did a Storm Surge type of surprise at the end of this event. It makes sense in this format. More than it does after a real game, certainly. And the kids will love it.

rt

May 13, 2004
I disagree. I liked it even just a few years ago more than I do now. The game as gotten stale. The format is stale. I liked the idea of the draft, it was neat. It went away. Now it is 3 on 3 which was cool, but it is still stale.

Change the format up or something. Something has to happen to make it fresh.
Maybe you’re just growing up. Haha. :sarcasm: :)

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm surprised there are people here that don't seem to care much about the Olympics.

It's shameful that we still haven't seen McDavid represent Canada in a best on best tournament. International hockey at the highest level is so incredible. Now I think soccer goes overboard at times during their seasons, but I love how vital the national teams are in the sport.

Representing your country comes with a different type of pride that frankly can't be matched by any NHL team. It's sad that we have a young generation of stars that have missed out on that so far.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->