NHL in Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
There's already one too many "Metropolitans" franchises as is ;)

mets.jpg

Meet the Mets, Meet the Mets
Step right up and beat the Mets ...

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
Seattle Mets with Green Red White barberpole jerseys. :naughty:

I love it. You see the barberpole jersey here and there in major junior, but not in the NHL, except for Montreal throwbacks. I think it would be perfect for Seattle. Also since their colors are the same as the Minnesota Wild, it would separate the two from looking the same.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

“We’ve had discussions with a group in Seattle,” said Daly, “Certainly people who are interested in having NHL hockey in Seattle. I would rather not get into specifics to be fair to that group, or the process.”

Daly says there is a lot for the NHL to like about Western Washington, including its proximity to BC.

“You’re always intrigued by rivalries,” says Daly.

However, he stresses he doesn’t believe the local group was willing to act in time for next season. A well-placed source says Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is not a part of the current group.

Franchise moves must be approved by the NHL Board of Governors next month.

Don't know about serious or not, but the part bolded has some indication of seriousness to it.

Would the NHL accept a team playing in the Key? I mean, I suppose it's possible. The League might look at Seattle as such a big fish to land that they would decide to go with it, and hope for a new arena some time down the road. I'd certainly be onboard with that perspective.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
There's already one too many "Metropolitans" franchises as is ;)

mets.jpg

If, IF Seattle ever gets a team, they'll probably name 'em the Totems or the Thunderbirds or something like that instead of the old historical name. Should they go the Metropolitan route though, they can just go by the Metros instead of the Mets to avoid dealing with New York.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
The arena is still the problem; Key was designed not to accommodate hockey. I'm afraid that any new arena initiative put to a vote will doom the whole thing, like it doomed the Sonics. I wish Paul Allen had just bought them instead of the Blazers.:(

But I will watch and support any nhl team that makes it to Seattle or Portland, except when Philly's in town.;)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeyArena

Sorry not really familiar with this arena but It says here the Key Arena seats 11,000 for Ice Hockey , Is their any way to jam in an extra 6,000 seats and still accommodate an NHL sized rink?

Only by tearing down the existing structure and playing 41 consecutive home fall, winter, and spring classics outdoors surrounded by temporary seating.

We'll just call that Plan C for the Yotes. :naughty:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
If, IF Seattle ever gets a team, they'll probably name 'em the Totems or the Thunderbirds or something like that instead of the old historical name. Should they go the Metropolitan route though, they can just go by the Metros instead of the Mets to avoid dealing with New York.

Totems would be the name I'd support - it best represents the great history of the sport in Seattle.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Imagine this: A hockey road trip down the I-5 to Seattle to watch the Canucks. There are reports a business group in Puget Sound is interested in moving an NHL team to Seattle.

With rumours flying the Atlanta Thrashers are relocating to Winnipeg any day now, several other franchises are known to be up for sale -- including the always-troubled Phoenix Coyotes.

Seattle is the second-largest urban centre in the US without an NHL team. It wouldn't be the first time professional hockey has been in the Emerald City; the Seattle Metropolitans won the Stanley Cup back in 1917.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/...king-at-moving-an-nhl-team-to-seattle-reports

Awesome Sauce

Feb 4, 2011
Vancouver Island
Wow, I am surprised that these news articles are coming out now, and especially surprised that Bill Daly is acknowledging them. This kind of came out of nowhere, but I would love an NHL team in Seattle, and I think most Canucks fans would agree with me. Seattle is an amazing city and it would be great to be able to have a roadtrip to see a Canucks road game! Do we have any forumers from Seattle who can comment? From what I know of Seattle's arena situation, a new arena would probably never be approved, but what about a growing suburb like Bellevue? There might be an appetite for a Glendale-type arena district there as they have a booming downtown,

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
From what I know of Seattle's arena situation, a new arena would probably never be approved, but what about a growing suburb like Bellevue? There might be an appetite for a Glendale-type arena district there as they have a booming downtown,

Someone needs to start polling the eastside! It's an interesting idea.

Seattle has its fair share of billionaires, hopefully one or two of them is at least exploring the opportunity. Except for Howard Schultz.. he can go **** himself.

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
Someone needs to start polling the eastside! It's an interesting idea.

Seattle has its fair share of billionaires, hopefully one or two of them is at least exploring the opportunity. Except for Howard Schultz.. he can go **** himself.

Sounds like you have a dislike for Mr Starbucks. Care to elaborate? Did he dis hockey ala Tiger Woods?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Key Arena is not a suitable arena for hockey, and the city of Seattle will not finance another sports venue after being bent over on Qwest Field.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
When Key Arena was renovated, the floor was lowered which made 25% of the hockey seats oibstructed views (think America West in Phoenix or the new Charlotte Arena) New building will be necessary. That said, someone somewhere in the Seattle-Tacoma area will eventually be building a new arena because with the demise of the KIngdome and the aging of Key Arena, there are not a lot of indoor facilities left in the area. When someone builds that arena, Seattle will become a prime expansion area. It has a lot in common with other near border cities in the US and it's the 12th or 13th largest TV market in US.

12Kerr

Let's go Flyers
Apr 17, 2007
In the Crease
I don't think its a bad idea, but wait till Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton at least have a team.

:handclap: bingo........I'd even throw in there US Cities like Portland and even Hartford again before Seattle...but the above mentioned Canadian cities should be 1st in line if it happens.....

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
mm if Phoenix goes to Seattle... then I bet it'll be Vancouver to the Pacific and not Colorado. That said... they still need an arena.

And... some history for you: They had the failed 76 expansion team... but the lesser known story is there bid for a team in the early 90s. Key Arena was a perfect place for hockey... could seat 15K with no obstructions at one point. Then, when they were a lock for an expansion team, one of the partners walked into the BoG meeting, withdraw the application and proceeded to renovate Key Arena to be NBA only. Hmm, maybe third time will be the charm... Here's a pic of the Arena with a ice sheet back in the 70's to prove my point about the renovation, and notice the lack of ANY obstructions:

2386916864_750a897b43_z.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad