NHL-IIHF agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
With thanks and credit to Ranold26 who found this and posted it on the Pen's board. So teams have 3 weeks or so to bring players over. This seems to make it almost impossible for the Pens not to bring Malkin over, unless he absolutely refuses. There is a small window to do so or it seems that 4 year contract we all hear about that he signed will be in full effect. You would have to think that Craig Patrick will make every effort:

Now, sources say there's a one-time provision in the new agreement that effectively makes this open season on any NHL prospects in Europe, even if they are under contract to European clubs. NHL teams apparently have a deadline of Aug. 15 to sign any of their European prospects, even if they're under contract.

The only additional provision to that is if they fail to keep the player on the roster for at least 30 games this season, there are some financial penalties to be paid.

This new agreement, with the open window on all European prospects until Aug. 15, would, for example, allow a team like the Pittsburgh Penguins to sign No. 2 overall pick (2004) Evgeni Malkin even though Malkin is under contract to a Russian club team for this season.

After Aug. 15, though, the window apparently closes and only those players whose contracts with European teams have expired would be permitted to sign in the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131221

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Dan Galvin said:
I thought Russia didn't want to be part of any NHL IIHF agreement? Thought they wanted to work out their own deals. :dunno:
That was the original plan for the russians after the Zherdev debacle.

The IIHF said that if Russia wanted out of the NHL transfer deal, they would rather not make one at all.

Zherdev returned to CSKA this past year and served the remainder of his military commitment, thus alleviating the international pressure from the russian hockey federation, meaning that they decided to be included in the transfer deal put in place by the IIHF.

It wouldve been a messy little catch 22, but it's all good now.

That's ONE good thing about the lockout, the russians got their payday with the overseas NHLers.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
futurcorerock said:
That's ONE good thing about the lockout, the russians got their payday with the overseas NHLers.

I wonder if this deal is reciprocal and gives European teams the same right to sign North American prospects? Maybe that was the carrot used to get the Russian Federation to sign on.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Buffaloed said:
I wonder if this deal is reciprocal and gives European teams the same right to sign North American prospects? Maybe that was the carrot used to get the Russian Federation to sign on.
I'm pretty sure it is. I follow the Blue Jackets and back in 2003-2004 we had Fred Brathwaite as our backup. Since, he's signed with AK Bars Kazan, and did well before the lockout started. I'm also pretty sure Freddy will be staying there for the next season as well.

I think the lockout helped eased the tensions overseas, and gave the euro leagues some much needed faith in the NHL as a partner.

Also, I think we'll see a few more players going overseas than in a normal year because of some of the salary restrictions. Although, I don't think it'll be widespread chaos like some people around here think may go down.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Briere03 said:
So.... Malkin, with Lemieux, Recchi, Crosby...

Pittsburgh might actually make some noise..
Not unless they get 6 defensemen in the UFA market :)

There defense is pretty brutal, but with Welch, Whitney, etc coming up, that should change.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
futurcorerock said:
I'm pretty sure it is. I follow the Blue Jackets and back in 2003-2004 we had Fred Brathwaite as our backup. Since, he's signed with AK Bars Kazan, and did well before the lockout started. I'm also pretty sure Freddy will be staying there for the next season as well.

I was specifically thinking of players in the CHL. They're under contract until their junior eligibility ends. The only out in their contracts is to allow them to play in the NHL or the AHL (if 20 or older). If the agreement is reciprocal a player drafted out of the CHL would be able to sign with a European pro team before his junior eligibility is up.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Buffaloed said:
I was specifically thinking of players in the CHL. They're under contract until their junior eligibility ends. The only out in their contracts is to allow them to play in the NHL or the AHL (if 20 or older). If the agreement is reciprocal a player drafted out of the CHL would be able to sign with a European pro team before his junior eligibility is up.
Ah gotcha, that's a very good question.

Sounds like it's own topic.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
That was the original plan for the russians after the Zherdev debacle.

The IIHF said that if Russia wanted out of the NHL transfer deal, they would rather not make one at all.

Zherdev returned to CSKA this past year and served the remainder of his military commitment, thus alleviating the international pressure from the russian hockey federation, meaning that they decided to be included in the transfer deal put in place by the IIHF.

It wouldve been a messy little catch 22, but it's all good now.

Thanks for the info. I just never saw anything about that. I had been wondering for sometime how that was going to work out. :clap:

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Buffaloed said:

I don't see how it could be reciprocal. The NHL couldn't negotiate a deal that would cover players it doesn't have under contract; that would have to be something that Hockey Canada and/or the CHL would need to work out with the IIHF.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Lard_Lad said:
I don't see how it could be reciprocal. The NHL couldn't negotiate a deal that would cover players it doesn't have under contract; that would have to be something that Hockey Canada and/or the CHL would need to work out with the IIHF.
Signed prospects, perhaps.

MAF would come to mind, since he has an NHL contract, though played in juniors.

Come to think, I don't think it's an issue with the NHL, whereas the CHL would have the biggest gaffe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad