NHL has made a new, "secret" proposal to NHLPA??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
tantalum said:
Except that Dapy has already said on Off The Record that such a concession would bring the owners to the table.... something which is in the NBA CBA. That is the type of framework they are looking for ...

Question is who goes over the hurdle? Why would anyone expect it would be the owners doing the hurdle jumping after the union acknowledged the state of the league finances?

I don't think it will be the owners. I think it will be the players and the sooner the better for them. The longer the situation continues the weaker the union's leverage.

for the record, i also believe the players will have to cave. i will be surprised if it turns out otherwise.

however, bettman has said the NHL wants nothing to do with an NBA style cap. there is no cost certainty in the NBA, at least not the iron clad style the NHL wants.

dr

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
DementedReality said:
for the record, i also believe the players will have to cave. i will be surprised if it turns out otherwise.

however, bettman has said the NHL wants nothing to do with an NBA style cap. there is no cost certainty in the NBA, at least not the iron clad style the NHL wants.

dr

I don't believe it would end up looking like an NBA cap but that is the step the players are going to have to take to get the ball rolling. The owners want a system tied to revenues. Of the two sports that have such a system the NBA is the most in the players favour (too much so perhaps and there is a lockout looming there as well). The NHL is of course also believes that system is too much in favour of the players but they want the NHLPA to come to them with that type of system as a proposal as it obliges the union to start talking about percentages and revenue streams. Then they can begin to negotiate what will in the end be a harder deal and close down loopholes that exist in an NBA-like deal (and NFL-like deals). So no the NHL will not accept the NBA type system...but they would be happy if the players presented something like that to negotiate from.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
DementedReality said:

dr

Plus any revenue from the luxury tax is shared by all teams under the soft cap. Something the owners dont want because it's guesswork according to Bettman.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
If in fact the NHL is still stuck on the hard cap, sorry, we are all wasting our time here, as there will be no hockey as far as the NHL is concerned. My bet is the season is finished. The players are in the trenches, and I don't expect to see them stick their heads out until the NHL bends or goes under.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Mighty Duck said:
If in fact the NHL is still stuck on the hard cap, sorry, we are all wasting our time here, as there will be no hockey as far as the NHL is concerned. My bet is the season is finished. The players are in the trenches, and I don't expect to see them stick their heads out until the NHL bends or goes under.

Technically the last NHL proposal was a soft cap fluctuating between 32-39million.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
AVE MAN said:
Technically the last NHL proposal was a soft cap fluctuating between 32-39million.

They can call it a soft cap, but unlike the NBA there was no exception for players to not count against a cap. Basically it was a floating hard cap. No different from the NFL. A Salary cap and a Salary floor

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
AVE MAN said:

No it wasn't. A soft cap would mean there are exceptions. In the NHL's proposal, there was a range, but still a concrete limit.

SENSible1*

The 32 million salary floor is a huge, and often ignored, concession to the PA.

Wetcoaster

Russian Fan said:
So when a journalist discuss about something that are NHLPA bound it's wrong & it's propaganda but when it's from the NHL owners side like TSN (The Source of the Nhl) , it's accurate & good ?

I think you should step aside & sometime that some journalist are just doing their job.

And it is not as if Brooks is posting his opinion. Brooks quoted from a letter written by Bettman. These are Bettman's own words.

Bettman had claimed that Goodenow was misleading the players by telling them that the NHL wanted to end guaranteed contracts. Obviously they do as well as a whole host of other rollbacks as set out in the excerpt of the letter published by Brooks.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
as expected... of course there was no "secret proposal". it sucks to get your hopes up all the time just to be let down. i wish they would go ahead an cancel the season already so we can all stop speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad