NHL Governor power brokers

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...me-for-the-NHL-to-do-away-with-divisions.html

THN's Proteau proposs elimination of the division system as most fans only care if a team is in top 8 of conference (just keeping conferences; 6 games against "traditional" division rivals, home-away against other 25 teams and 8 other games). But does not see that happening.

Suddenly, the built-in geographic advantages currently enjoyed by certain Eastern Conference teams – I’m looking at you, entire Atlantic Division – would all but disappear. At the same time, every fan base in the league would have one opportunity each season to see every franchise and its stars.

That said, that geographic advantage (which allows teams along the eastern seaboard to save a significant amount of money on travel costs) is perhaps the single greatest obstacle toward reforming the divisions and/or schedule.

“When you talk about making changes like that, you first have to understand where the power base lies in this league,†said one former NHL GM, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “It’s definitely not with the Columbuses and Dallases - it’s with (Flyers owner Ed) Snider and (Bruins owner Jeremy) Jacobs and (Rangers owner James) Dolan, the East Coast owners.

“Those guys are perfectly OK with the way things work now. They prefer the costs of taking a train, a bus or a short flight to games over taking a week-long West Coast road trip. It’s hard for me to imagine they’d want to give up that perk very esily.â€

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...me-for-the-NHL-to-do-away-with-divisions.html

THN's Proteau proposs elimination of the division system as most fans only care if a team is in top 8 of conference (just keeping conferences; 6 games against "traditional" division rivals, home-away against other 25 teams and 8 other games). But does not see that happening.

I've been saying it for the past couple of years now that they should do away with the divisions. I hate to see one team automatically gain a playoff spot because they are first in the division. It should be the TOP 8 TEAMS in the conference.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
This is another Canadian Media play to try to pry a team to Winnipeg.

The NHL crushed the idea of moving Detroit back east a few years ago because it would leave the west without a marquee team.

So now, this idea is going to be the next horse to ride on? Forget it. Atlanta isn't moving.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

The NHL crushed the idea of moving Detroit back east a few years ago because it would leave the west without a marquee team.

So now, this idea is going to be the next horse to ride on? Forget it. Atlanta isn't moving.

Man your paranoid. This has nothing to do with Atlanta. Fans all over the NHL have been complaining for years how they only see certain teams and thier stars rarely. A more balanced schedule where every team plays each other team in each others rink is best.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

The west has Chicago as the marquee team. And Los Angeles.

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
This has nothing to do with Atlanta at all. Trust me, unless you've been a fan of a team in the West (particularly in the Central), you can't comprehend how necessary this reform is.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Which is exactly why this can have something to do with Atlanta, or the Islanders, or a Florida team that the Great White North wants to move.

Trust me, down here, we have heard enough schemes about moving Atlanta, if not out of the city, then at least out of the Conference.

The big story was us to the Central and Detroit to the East.

Excuse me if the Atlanta contingent becomes a bit bolder and more outspoken over the next few months, but we've certainly been taking the brunt of a lot of rotten comments, blogs, and threads. Even had a busload of QC fans ride down to NY to put their claim in on our franchise.

Just making sure people hear us and when the same columnist makes some underhanded remarks about relocation, remember, I defended us first.

Honestly, I would love for everyone else to have to play Carolina, Tampa, and Washington as much as we have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->