NHL Goalies - Backups Only, Looking for Help

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
One correction - and I've seen this in several sources that Dumas' NHL debut was the game where he shared a shutout with Esposito, so the error's not on you - but Dumas actually played the entire game for Chicago the night prior.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1975/02/23/page/61

It *was* against the expansion Capitals (so a good night for Tony to get the night off) - and Bob Verdi made a weird comment in the writeup, that Dumas "got a tuneup for the World Hockey Association Cincinnati Stingers next season."

Here's the shared shutout writeup from the following night:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1975/02/24/page/57

Have I mentioned how much I love having the Tribune archives easily accessible? :handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
More minutia - Dumas had two starts in the season, one apiece against Washington and Kansas City (and both at home).

Most of you know that I measure a goaltender's schedule strength in two ways - the first measures the (time weighted) average opponent's schedule-adjusted goal differential, and the second measures the (shots weighted) average opponent's shooting percentage relative to league average.

Dumas' average opponent in 1974-75 was 2.90 goals worse than league average, and his average opponent had a shooting percentage 19.6% worse than league average. :amazed:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I agree - always a fan of Dumas' and he was a good company man (probably why the Black Hawks brought him into their scouting staff immediately). And the mask does appear to be a Wilson:

089dacd6e374c8a62f158a8c0190bc41--goalie-mask-but.jpg

I can't imagine what that must have felt like, but the holes do look rather large.

Or rather, I think I *can* imagine - one game against Metro State, I took a shot to the cage (I wore a cat's eye) and the puck stuck in the bars of the mask. The cage bent in, and I could feel it on my eyebrow. One of the scariest things I've ever had happen on the ice.

Our coach was a practice goalie for the Black Hawks in the 1960s (tying this full circle), and he used to go maskless in practice sometimes when two or more of us were injured. Of course, no one dared shoot above the waist at him. :D

Yeah, thanks for posting that photo. Bit of an unusual mask, definitely patterned after a Wilson but it appears modified, extra layers of fibreglass, thicker than usual which no doubt necessitated the addition of those airholes on the cheeks. Quite common for goalies to file out the eye sockets as well though his dont appear terribly extreme but.... clearly on the far side of "safe". Those masks, I mean all of the makers, models, "problematical" in that they'd block your downward & side peripheral vision. The safest of the lot the Plante model however, even then the one I tried, blind & it was kinda heavy... I was shocked when Parent got injured using that model. Couple other guys too I believe.
One correction - and I've seen this in several sources that Dumas' NHL debut was the game where he shared a shutout with Esposito, so the error's not on you - but Dumas actually played the entire game for Chicago the night prior.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1975/02/23/page/61

It *was* against the expansion Capitals (so a good night for Tony to get the night off) - and Bob Verdi made a weird comment in the writeup, that Dumas "got a tuneup for the World Hockey Association Cincinnati Stingers next season."

Here's the shared shutout writeup from the following night:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1975/02/24/page/57

Have I mentioned how much I love having the Tribune archives easily accessible? :handclap:

..... huh.... I got that "first game" bit from Joe Pelletiers site who's usually extremely reliable in that regard while also being colourful which I appreciate. Oh well. :)

Reactions: Tarantula

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'd heard it from Pelletier, too - and I wonder if he got it from another source, since he's quite solid in the first-person research game. It used to be significantly harder to find these things online (even for a price), so I'll attribute it to that.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
One name to add (temporarily at least) is Casey DeSmith, who backed up Murray in Pittsburgh last night. If they keep Jarry in WBS to get starts, ultimately DeSmith will get into a game of course.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Ville Husso was back-up for St. Louis Blues on Saturday.

As in previous post, this might be temporary since it's active player with NHL contract.

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
One name to add (temporarily at least) is Casey DeSmith, who backed up Murray in Pittsburgh last night. If they keep Jarry in WBS to get starts, ultimately DeSmith will get into a game of course.

And there we go - DeSmith got to play in whatever that performance was from the Penguins last night in Winnipeg.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Been a while since last looked this thread.

Bob Ricci
WHA backup only with Edmonton Oilers.

Detroit Free Press November 29 1977

Some athletes have a mantle full of trophies, pictures and other mementoes. Bob Ricci, well, he has a pair of Edmonton Oiler socks. Ricci, an amateur hockey player from Pawtucket, R.I., was minding his own business in Pawtucket when the Oilers, in Hartford, Conn., for a game against the New England Whalers, found themselves in desperate straits for a back-up goalie. Edmonton had sent one its two goalies to Quebec in a trade and the new goalie got stranded in Canada by a storm. The Oilers made frantic inquiries for an emergency back-up for the night and Ricci suddenly found himself in Hartford in the Oiler locker room. "They all stared at me," said Ricci, who is 18. "Then they started needling me and it made me more relaxed." It would nice to say Ricci went tended the twine with glory, but, alas, Edmonton didn't need him in their 3-1 victory. "I wonder if I'll believe this really happened," he said " ... the socks I'm wearing that's how I'll remember. I'll look at the socks they gave me, then I'll know it happened."

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Also it´s possible that Roy Lefebvre was backup in Oilers 1977-1978 season. Atleast he was recalled at late october in 1977.

Also as complitely OT found out that Dan Bouchard has goalie brother Guy Bouchard who played atleast semi-pro hockey. In 1979 Guy Bouchard attended Atlanta Flames camp. So atleast two goalie brothers has attended same teams NHL camp (other would be Mike and Luke Karakas in Black Hawks camp in 1936).

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Yep, Sateri backed up Thomas Greiss on 10/8/2011 (wearing #35) and was also Reimer's backup on Saturday (wearing #29 as he did tonight).
Sateri is out (made some starts last year) but is still listed in the OP.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
From the parallel thread:

Stumbled across Glen Seperich. Haven't seen him being mentioned.

“Glen Seperich is in Detroit for the weekend as the Red Wings backup netminder. Regular Detroit goaltender Dennis DeJordy has a pulled leg muscle.”
- October 14, 1972 - The Times Herald, Port Huron, Michigan, p.7

“Glen Seperich has returned to Port Huron from Detroit where he served as the backup goaltender for the Red Wings last weekend.”
- October 20, 1972 - The Times Herald, Port Huron, Michigan, p.11

Wonder why they brought up Seperich (a 1972 draftee).

And "weekend" was October 14th against the Flyers and October 15th against the Kings.

Last edited:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Blaine Peterson - This is one I'd like to get some help with. I have an article that indicates he dressed for several NHL games. I have a program from December 11, 1976 that lists him on the roster along with goalies Curt Ridley and Cesare Maniago. No indication of which of the three dressed
Regarding Blaine Peterson (RGO) - Old Yahoo discussion has one post from 2003 where
He is atleast remembering the day wrong. Every contemporary source say that Maniago was suffering from injuries. From december 23. I can find article which states that Maniago was out for nearly a month. And Ridley was getting every start in Canucks goal.

“It appears Blaine Peterson hasn’t picked up any rust the past two weeks while sitting on the bench as the backup goaltender for Vancouver Canucks.” - The Vancouver Sun, December 11, 1976, p.21

“Vancouver Canuck goaltender Cesare Maniago showed up ready to practice Friday but was advised by team doctors to give his injured thigh muscles a couple of days more rest. As a result, junior Blaine Peterson of the Westminster Bruins is once again expected to be the backup netminder to Curt Ridley this afternoon when the Canucks host the Colorado Rockies at 5 p.m. at the Pacific Coliseum” - The Vancouver Sun, December 11, 1976, p.22

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Nice ones. Blaine Peterson case has bugged me for a long time. :) I was about to ask you from another one. Larry Thayer possibly with North Stars, but decided to give it another go.

I had this.
October 14, 1982
Star Tribune from Minneapolis

He was a star goaltender in hockey with Edina High School and in 1975 anchored an NCAA championship team at the University of Minnesota. When Thayer went with the bandy group to Sweden a year ago, newspaper accounts identified him as being from the Minnesota North Stars, a fact that has drawn its share of chuckles from his teammates. Thayer did dress as a goalie for the North Stars for one game in 1980 as a favor while Gary Edwards was out with a bad back but his professional career was confined to sitting on the bench.

And indeed
February 24, 1980
Star Tribune from Minneapolis

Sonmor said that Louie LeVasseur, recalled trom Oklahoma City, will probably be in goal. Ex-Gopher Larry Thayer served as the reserve goaltender for the North Start last night behind Meloche, who started when Gary Edwards suffered from back miseries.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Kasimir Kaskisuo backed up Garret Sparks on Sunday, so another one for the list.
The second different goalie with no previous NHL action to come up and sit on the bench for the Leafs this season.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Kasimir Kaskisuo backed up Garret Sparks on Sunday, so another one for the list.
The second different goalie with no previous NHL action to come up and sit on the bench for the Leafs this season.

Nice. Didn´t notice that. First Finnish goalie to take the NCAA road to dress in NHL game. It has been fairly good one for Finns. Many (even majority) of goalies who have been there have made fairly succesful pro career in Europe. Like said non of them played in NHL, but none of them was regarded as top talent when they left to NCAA.

Edit.
(Though I need to say that nothing nice in Andersen being out)

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Not really belongs to here, but there isn´t own seperate thread for skaters who dressed as backup goalie. :) Frankie Rochon with Indianapolis in WHA in 1976.

The Indianapolis Star
Tuesday, November 16, 1976

The loss of Brown hurts. The veteran worked hard all summer to bounce back from a back injury that kept him sidelined the last half of last season. He had played well through the first five weeks. And now the same type of injury has struck again. But the Racers do have Jim Park available to fill the void and he'll be back from Mohawk Valley for tonight's game. Also back up from Mohawk Valley is left winger Frankie Rochon. He wasn't supposed to report until yesterday, but he met the club in Quebec City and wound up dressing as the backup goal-tender when Brown was hurt. (He did goal some in pee wee hockey until "My brother came along and he was better.")

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
New name (I would assume)

The Chicago Tribune March 27 1980
Hawk backup goalie Mike Veisor left the team Wednesday for Toronto where funeral services for father will be held Thursday. The Hawks hired a Quebec amateur netminder to serve as Tony Esposito´s backup in Wednesday´s game.
---------------------

Special permission was obtained from the National Hockey League for Jonston, a 16-year veteran, to serve as Esposito´s emergency backup. But late Wednesday afternoon the Hawks obtained the services of 25-year old semipro Richard Guay.

I would think he is this guy
Richard Guay

Drafted by Flyers in 1974. Was cut from Flyers camp and also from farm team Des Moines. Then signed to Maine (or Quebec not sure) Nordiques in NAHL. Also I found this...

Press and Sun-Bulletin
Saturday, February 22, 1975

The 20-year old Guay, scheduled to be recalled by WHA Quebec tomorrow, was a surprise in making his first start in 1 and half months...

Need to do more research but he may have been backup in WHA and NHL.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
And bit of OT noticed that eliteprospects has these zero game goalies in their DB. Wonder where they have got them.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Honourable Mentions

I had previously mentioned that I was keeping a list of 'honourable mentions.' Finally got around to putting it all together.

Might this incident qualify?

Retro Rangers: Another Kind of Winter Classic

On February 9, 1969, New York City was paralyzed by a snowstorm. Getting to Madison Square Garden was difficult.

But as the afternoon progressed, there was no sign of starting goaltender Eddie Giacomin as well as Jean Ratelle and Larry Jeffrey. Sensing that he might not have the requisite two netminders available for the game. General Manager, Coach and former goalkeeper Emile Francis signed himself to a $1 contract in case a back up for [Don] Simmons was needed. Francis was 43 at the time and hadn’t played since he retired in 1960, but this was an emergency and if he was needed, he was ready.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Another new name. Jim Campbell with Oilers in 1982-1983. The article mentions he "cheerleaded behind the bench" :) but I would assume the rules required him to dress on gear.

Article also mentions "Bob Rickey" being backup in WHA Oilers. This would be Bob Ricci who I mentioned earlier in thread. Other new name would be Jim Grant. Article does not specify when he was backup (did it happen in WHA or NHL).

Also the article is nicely turning knife in Kevin Stapletons wound.

Edmonton Journal
Saturday, March 19, 1983

So who´s Jim Campbell, and why was he the back-up goalie for Andy Moog during Edmonto Oilers 4-3 win over Vancouver Canucks this week.

Campbell, a 20-year-old who two years ago was playing high school hockey in his hometown of Quincy Mass. currently an unemployed junior backup.

With Grant Fuhr suffering a severe case of the flu- he skated Friday and may dress against Detroit tonight- and Lindsey Middlebrook unable to come in from Moncton quickly, the SOS had gone out to Campbell.

"I was surprise," he said "It was a total shock." Asked how long it took to decide to come, he said: " There was no real big decission".

Having played a season with Vermont university, plus playing high school hockey, Campbell wound up in 16 games with Regina Pats of the Western Canada Hockey League last season.

Then he followed coach Bill Laforge to the Kamploops Junior Oilers and was with the team six weeks ago when they came to Edmonton game and visited the club´s dressing room after the game.

Since then, Campbell´s been a nomad. He was dropped by Kamploops as one of the team´s two 20-years-old, then wound in Birmingham of the Central Hockey league for a few games as a backup when Mario Lessard was injured.

Campbell was back working out with Kamploops when Edmonton called.

As it was he was third choice. Saskatchewan junior Kevin Stapleton worked out with the Oilers on Wednesday morning but had a game agains Fort McMurray that night. (Can you image playing the Oil Barons instead of Vancouver Canucks?) And U of A´s Ken Hodge couldn´t be reached.

In Wednesday morning´s workout. Ken Linsemen winged a shot near Moog´s head causing Wayne Gretzky to caution: "He´s all we´ve got."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Then there was the case of Jim Grant. A Northern Alberta institute of Technology student by day and Ookpiks goalie by night, he served as backup one Sunday evening and earned $50.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->