NHL glass?

BamBamCam*

You can look at footage from the old days and see glass along the boards. Not sure where this question is going or asking.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
It was in 1980 that I believe they made the glass higher along the side boards, which was a direct result of the Bruins/MSG debacle in Dec. 1979. Meant that fans couldn't reach over and grab a guy's stick.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Does anyone know what year the NHL started using Glass alone the boards? I talking to my boss about this and he said sometime after 1980, but i'm not to sure.

Plexiglass was first installed at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto at the start of the 1946-47 season along the end boards & corners, replacing steel screens. The side boards from corners to center ice were open. No cage. No glass. The rest of the arenas in NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Boston & Montreal followed suit shortly thereafter. That'd be quite sometime BEFORE 1980 yes?. :laugh:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It was in 1980 that I believe they made the glass higher along the side boards, which was a direct result of the Bruins/MSG debacle in Dec. 1979. Meant that fans couldn't reach over and grab a guy's stick.

Didn't JLA have low glass along the side boards for longer than a lot of the other barns? I think MSG also had lower glass for some time, even in light of the Bruins incident.

It'd be interesting (and I use the term loosely :laugh:) to see a timeline of standardization of glass across the league - I also remember that MSG had really weird partitions on the side boards near the corners that resulted in some nightmare bounces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->