News Article: NHL giving teams bye week in next season's schedule

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Each NHL team gets a 5 day 'bye' week next season, 1 week off between Jan 1 and Feb 28

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...iving-teams-bye-week-in-next-seasons-schedule

The league and the NHLPA have committed to building a "five-day bye week" for each team into the schedule next season. The league will schedule one for each club between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28 next season.

Players won’t have to report for practice until after 4 p.m. on the fifth day if they have a game on the sixth day, a source said. If the players don't have a game on the sixth day, they would have the entire fifth day off.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Seems that they could easily address the issue by balancing the schedules better, that have way too many 2 and 3 day breaks in October, November and December, and far too many 3 in 4's in January, February and march.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
so stupid. make the season end one week sooner, start the playoffs one week sooner and thus give the players one more week of offseason.
So lame.

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
so stupid. make the season end one week sooner, start the playoffs one week sooner and thus give the players one more week of offseason.
So lame.

I think the idea is that you give teams and players who are banged up or burning out a little recovery boost so the product on the ice maintains its quality.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I think the idea is that you give teams and players who are banged up or burning out a little recovery boost so the product on the ice maintains its quality.

And one week during the marathon that is an NHL season does this?

Maybe for the one player whos minor injury lines up with it...
I personally like how intense a season is... And basically, they need to either shorten the offseason by a week, which sounds counter product, or slightly compress the schedule to get the extra weak off, which seems counter productive.
I rather them just focus on less back to backs or travel schedule.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
lol people will ***** about anything
yep. all star game? Stupid. Picking players from a fantasy draft? Stupid. East vs West? Stupid. 3 on 3 tournament? Are you serious? You wanna give a bye week to players? Stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad