OT: NHL Gamecenter question

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
So my cable company doesn't carry center ice in MD. Looking at Gamecenter now but main goal is to get games on TV. I don't have hulu, Xbox, Sony TV, play station, or Apple TV. I do have an iPad Air. Would like to purchase for iPad and then buy a cable that converts Apple cord to HDMI to get game on whatever TV I want in the house or on the iPad when on the road. Cord costs about $50. Reading up on it, looks like it works but not always as the thing you buy needs to support it. Works for Netflix but not shwtime from one report I read.

My questions:
Anyone connect an iPad to their tv and stream Game Center games or know if that works (is supported)?

If not,cis the best alternative to buy an Apple TV box and then Gamecenter on ipad and wireless to Apple TV or just buy Apple TV and Gamecenter for it?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

OSUlakers

Jan 22, 2007
Charlotte, NC
So my cable company doesn't carry center ice in MD. Looking at Gamecenter now but main goal is to get games on TV. I don't have hulu, Xbox, Sony TV, play station, or Apple TV. I do have an iPad Air. Would like to purchase for iPad and then buy a cable that converts Apple cord to HDMI to get game on whatever TV I want in the house or on the iPad when on the road. Cord costs about $50. Reading up on it, looks like it works but not always as the thing you buy needs to support it. Works for Netflix but not shwtime from one report I read.

My questions:
Anyone connect an iPad to their tv and stream Game Center games or know if that works (is supported)?

If not,cis the best alternative to buy an Apple TV box and then Gamecenter on ipad and wireless to Apple TV or just buy Apple TV and Gamecenter for it?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

In my opinon the best thing you can do is get apple TV. I'm not sure about your financial situation but it's $99 and it's fantastic. You can watch games on your tv and a separate game on your iPad.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Hook directly to your TV
- Digital AV adaptor for iPad Lightning port : $50

Stream Options
- Apple TV : $99 : One click mirror from any Apple device.
- Chromecast : $35 : One click mirror of any Chrome browser tab

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks. Does the one game center payment let you use the iPad and Apple TV?

One payment will let you log into any supported device. (Sharing with friends sucks though, unless they've loosed simultaneous login restrictions.)

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I was thinking more from like a desktop computer or laptop if the OP has one. HDMI out or really any video out can be converted to HDMI pretty inexpensively.

Yep, don't disagree. I was just focusing on the iPad since that's what the OP was asking about.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
with regards to the options listed, I have a chromecast and love it. I stream from my phone a lot and many apps have built in chromecast support. Although, I have an android phone not sure if the apple apps work as well with chromecast or even if chromecast is supported. For apps that don't have built in functionality, the chromecast app has an option to cast your entire phone screen (with sound). Also, you can cast any chrome tab (with sound) from chrome browser on PC. I used that functionality for the final preseason game to watch the game on my TV. The quality was as good as the original stream. Its a great option for Android/PC but not sure if it would be the ideal choice for apple products.

KennyFnPowers*

Dude. This is pretty funny. You guys know AppleTV does wireless streaming, right? Stop buying expensive cables (that are outdated in a few years) and get an ATV, Airstream that shizzle san!

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
I chromecast it yo. $35 for the chromecast if you don't have one. Just need a wireless router (and broadband connection) that can handle the bitrate.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Thanks for the many and great replies. Picked up an Apple TV over lunch today and will set it up later tonight. Went with that as all my other devices are Apple. Thanks again. Game 1 here we go!

OSUlakers

Jan 22, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the many and great replies. Picked up an Apple TV over lunch today and will set it up later tonight. Went with that as all my other devices are Apple. Thanks again. Game 1 here we go!

Enjoy. FYI, if you're using your apple tv and not your ipad, i do believe that you can share with a family member. If you're both using the same device it does kick you off.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
You can use the lightning to digital a/v with hdmi. I used it when I put an iPad mini in my car for the radio, downfall was apple products are terrible, unreliable, and finicky so I switched it to a tablet. Hope the info helps.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Everything set up and able to watch from iPad or AppleTV and can just move the AppleTV box from TV to TV in the house if I want to watch at a different location. Very happy with Gamecenter compared to Center Ice.

Branch question: one of my friends is an Islanders fan (makes for an interesting season this year). Anyway, are there any potential problems or drawbacks if we use my Gamecenter account at his house to watch a few Islander games? Posts above and some internet research indicate we should be okay as long as we don't wind up with trying to run on multiple devices at the same time. Thoughts?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I haven't looked at the TOS specifically, but Gamecenter seems to be set up where you can use it wherever you are, ie, on the road.

Which is why you can use a VPN to get around blackout issues, though they did beef up the penalty in the TOS and could theoretically suspend your account and charge you.

But just using it normally elsewhere should be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad