GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020 - XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If that is the case, it is a bit hardball, but in a way I can respect that. He has a budget idea and strong sense of what he believes a player is worth and is going to hold the line. I don't know if that level of inflexibility (if it is indeed the case) is a good thing long-term or not, but it is an understandable approach would make sense of what we see as inaction or rudderless drifting.

Wouldn’t call it a good thing

We’ve been watching the window close slowely and big part of it is Sweeneys inability to add

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If the Bruins load up at forward, let's say:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Hoffman - Krejci - Kase
X - Coyle - Smith

Do the Bruins really need to give their 4th line more than 10 minutes a night? I would like to see the Bruins go in a different direction for their 4th line and integrate some of the younger guys on that line and free up some cap by moving some of the more established 4th liners on the team. Not only are the prospects younger and cheaper, they will gain NHL experience. In my opinion, it's probably one of the easiest ways to gain a bit more cap space.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Here is my hang up. Are teams looking at this next season like I suspect they were looking at these last playoffs - with an asterisk? Don't get me wrong, I would have loved the Bruins to be hoisting the cup in place of Tampa, but, I'll always look at it as though "oh yeah, that wasn't the real Stanley Cup, it was the Covid Cup." I'm wondering if teams/players think of the upcoming season like that as well...where sure, its cool to win the cup and be a good team but its outside of the norm so it will always have an asterisk?

I don't know....maybe I'm just weird.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think the move we should be looking for is John Moore and one of our young, cheap forwards/defensemen for cap space.

We have 14 forwards and that does not include Frederic or Studnicka. If they sign Chara as expected they’ll have 9 defensemen. You can’t carry a 25 man roster so there are some guys here they can move as a sweetener to take on money.

If they can do that, then they’ll have around $9-10m in cap space ($6.5 now plus $3.5 in Moore and a yoot) to sign or trade for someone.
Who is going to want Moore and some other no name just to take up 3.5 mil in cap space?

Nobody is biting on Tyler Johnson who at least has championship pedigree in his blood, I think Moore is here to stay along with whomever you are referring to.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Wouldn’t call it a good thing

We’ve been watching the window close slowely and big part of it is Sweeneys inability to add

The point is that maybe it isn't an inability, but an unwillingness to pay more than a certain amount for any player. That amounts to the same thing but I would rather it just be said straight out and if that is the deal, and so be it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Who is going to want Moore and some other no name just to take up 3.5 mil in cap space?

Nobody is biting on Tyler Johnson who at least has championship pedigree in his blood, I think Moore is here to stay along with whomever you are referring to.

One difference is Tyler Johnson has a pretty big contract compared to Moore. Moore is a bit overpaid, but if he was a player that a team could use for solid third pairing minutes and some PK time, it wouldn't be a bad thing. Tyler Johnson is a 3rd line center, a good one, but one that makes almost twice what Moore makes and is under contract for four more years. It isn't really comparable from a financial standpoint.

You are right that Moore likely stays and probably the Bruins are not even trying to move him as the way the defense is shaping up they probably want a veteran option available on the left side, but I am sure they could shift him if they were willing to take a 5th or 6th round pick in return.

Reactions: hrdpuk and OV

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Chevy probably tells Sweeney to never call him again.

Lowry and Kuraly are basically a wash. Big 4th line Centers who if your desperate can play on the 3rd line. Similar production, both UFA next summer, born two months apart. There is some cap savings for Winnipeg but with Bryan Little's career in serious doubt, LTIR may alleviate their cap crunch.

So it's really Laine for Debrusk + Bjork + Vaak + Moore. And it's Laine at his new AAV on his next extension that needs to be compared really, a lot of Winnipeg's interest in moving him is his next contract. Laine's numbers in his first two seasons exceeded Jack Eichel's, and Eichel got 10 million AAV based on his first two years at a 65 pt. pace per 82 games. So maybe Laine isn't getting 10 million per, but is 8.5-9.0 out of the question on a long-term deal if he scores at a 35 goal/40 assist per 82 pace this year? The flat cap will impact what he gets no doubt, which actually works in Winnipeg's (or his new teams) favor. He has holes in his game, and I don't believe Winnipeg thinks he's worth what the market for him could be.

So say you have Debrusk at 3.5 3-4 years, Bjork makes 1.6 for 3 more, Moore is 2.75 for 3 more, 3.5+1.6+2.75 that's 7.85 right there. Then Vaak would need a new contract in two seasons.

A borderline 2nd line LW (Debrusk), a 24-year old who hasn't established himself as an NHL regular (Bjork), a veteran depth D-man who has spent more time in the pressbox than on the ice the past two seasons (Moore), and a B-level D-man prospect (Vaak), for a 22-year old winger who has scored at a 37 goal pace since entering the league? A guy who may has one of the Top 5 releases in the sport?

Agree with BD here, I think only Pastrnak and Ovechkin have better shots with him and Matthews tied for #3. Need to add more and make it hurt.

JDB
Studnicka
Carlo

Reactions: BruinDust

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Studnicka must be in the deal just a logical guess
Jake Debrusk has scored 27 goals in the NHL while missing 14 games that season. If he comes in at 3.5 million and plays good two way hockey, you don't think he's a big chip in order to land a Laine? Who keep in mind will be asking for 9-10 million? Its crazy how people keep mentioning Studnicka like he's the second coming of jesus. The guy has done nothing in the NHL to show he's going to be a star. Meanwhile Debrusk would have put up over 30 if he had played a full season and will cost the Jets anywhere from 5-6-7 million less a year than Laine. People's expectations around trades are insane. Look at the big picture

Reactions: Coach Parker

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Jake Debrusk has scored 27 goals in the NHL while missing 14 games that season. If he comes in at 3.5 million and plays good two way hockey, you don't think he's a big chip in order to land a Laine? Who keep in mind will be asking for 9-10 million? Its crazy how people keep mentioning Studnicka like he's the second coming of jesus. The guy has done nothing in the NHL to show he's going to be a star. Meanwhile Debrusk would have put up over 30 if he had played a full season and will cost the Jets anywhere from 5-6-7 million less a year than Laine. People's expectations around trades are insane. Look at the big picture
It’s relative with Stud tho. I dont think anyone’s saying he’s a can’t miss or the second coming of Jesus as you put it but he is absolutely the best prospect that we have

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The point is that maybe it isn't an inability, but an unwillingness to pay more than a certain amount for any player. That amounts to the same thing but I would rather it just be said straight out and if that is the deal, and so be it.

The goal is to win Cups

Sweeney has had 5 years and plenty of targets to fix the top6 and he’s done nothing

That’s inability

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

If you had $20m in cap space you wouldn't take Moore if you could get Lauzon for free? I would. Ditto for Clifton and Bjork. They're low-cost, locked in roster depth with upside. Plus, you could buy out Moore and only be on the hook for $800k per year in real dollars.

Tyler Johnson has double the cap hit and an extra year. Nobody is biting on his full cap hit because they know if they wait Tampa will have to give up a young "no name" or draft pick to move him.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Here is my hang up. Are teams looking at this next season like I suspect they were looking at these last playoffs - with an asterisk? Don't get me wrong, I would have loved the Bruins to be hoisting the cup in place of Tampa, but, I'll always look at it as though "oh yeah, that wasn't the real Stanley Cup, it was the Covid Cup." I'm wondering if teams/players think of the upcoming season like that as well...where sure, its cool to win the cup and be a good team but its outside of the norm so it will always have an asterisk?

they probably are especially with the flat cap and uncertainty around the start of the season.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The goal is to win Cups

Sweeney has had 5 years and plenty of targets to fix the top6 and he’s done nothing

That’s inability

It isn't an inability to sign players- they have done plenty of that. Just not the guys you want, or the guys I want. Backes and Beleskey were both "big" FA signings. Craig Smith was a signing. Sweeney isn't unable to do it, he just doesn't want to pay what some of these players are asking. Should he? That is a different debate, but no it is not inability nor has he done nothing. He just hasn't done what you like, or what I would like, or most here, and they haven't won possibly because of that. Then again, he could do everything right and have no Cups on the shelf because that is how shit works.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agree with BD here, I think only Pastrnak and Ovechkin have better shots with him and Matthews tied for #3. Need to add more and make it hurt.

JDB
Studnicka
Carlo

Even Carlo+Debrusk+1st rounder+B-level Prospect (Vaak) would be considered a fair offer. Laine ain't winning any Selke trophies but as an offensive talent he's one of the better young players in the league. Under-23 he has to be a Top 10 forward I would think.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It isn't an inability to sign players- they have done plenty of that. Just not the guys you want, or the guys I want. Backes and Beleskey were both "big" FA signings. Craig Smith was a signing. Sweeney isn't unable to do it, he just doesn't want to pay what some of these players are asking. Should he? That is a different debate, but no it is not inability nor has he done nothing. He just hasn't done what you like, or what I would like, or most here, and they haven't won possibly because of that. Then again, he could do everything right and have no Cups on the shelf because that is how shit works.

With UFA signings teams almost always have to overpay in some way to sign the player they want, either in $ or term and sometimes both. It all comes down to what your goal is for your team and how badly do you want/need this player to reach that goal. When you're competing against several teams for a player's services you can't be overly rigid in your approach, not if you're really sure this is the guy you want/need. If you don't get him you'd better have a Plan B, C, & D and this is where I really fault the GM- when he doesn't get his man he doesn't seem to have a real alternative in mind, there always seems to be a scramble to find a substitute for who they really wanted.

Is Sweeney's seeming reluctance to pay his own or is it ownership's? It could be and probably is both- he got burned really badly on the Belesky and Backes signings and under this ownership the Bruins have been conservative (to put it politely) when it comes to player compensation, cap or no cap.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany

The off season so far indicates that management could. They probably want to go with the kids on D and see who is ready before the upcoming expansion draft. They probably want to protect Gryzelcyk, Carlo and McAvoy. You risk to lose one of those or a d-man you just added with the upcoming draft. Wouldnt be good roster managment. Sweeney also doesnt strike me as a GM who would swing a deal with Seattle and pay a price to get take them one of the players he wants. Especially not after what we saw with Vegas embarassing some of those teams (Columbus, Florida, Minnesota)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
With UFA signings teams almost always have to overpay in some way to sign the player they want, either in $ or term and sometimes both. It all comes down to what your goal is for your team and how badly do you want/need this player to reach that goal. When you're competing against several teams for a player's services you can't be overly rigid in your approach, not if you're really sure this is the guy you want/need. If you don't get him you'd better have a Plan B, C, & D and this is where I really fault the GM- when he doesn't get his man he doesn't seem to have a real alternative in mind, there always seems to be a scramble to find a substitute for who they really wanted.

Is Sweeney's seeming reluctance to pay his own or is it ownership's? It could be and probably is both- he got burned really badly on the Belesky and Backes signings and under this ownership the Bruins have been conservative (to put it politely) when it comes to player compensation, cap or no cap.

Yes, I pretty much agree with this assessment. I would just say that he does seem to have an alternative in mind when he doesn't get his man- cheap depth either signed or in the system that he thinks can be played above their level of competence. Which I guess since it is basically predicated on a lot of hope, it isn't a great one. That does seem to be the idea though.

Reactions: BMC

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
lol wtf.

Mike that’s like really going out of your way to actively mess up the name. To the point that I think I know who you’re talking about, but I’m not entirely confident :laugh:

im going to be screwed if they sign this guy... some mental tick in my brain prevents me from spelling his name correct... although usually I just spell it mike hough

maybe my inability to spell his name is why im pretty much against going after him in the first place. I definitely have no appetite for him unless we were dealing debrusk and needing to replace him

Reactions: BrainOfJ

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If you had $20m in cap space you wouldn't take Moore if you could get Lauzon for free? I would. Ditto for Clifton and Bjork. They're low-cost, locked in roster depth with upside. Plus, you could buy out Moore and only be on the hook for $800k per year in real dollars.

Tyler Johnson has double the cap hit and an extra year. Nobody is biting on his full cap hit because they know if they wait Tampa will have to give up a young "no name" or draft pick to move him.

These ideas for trades to make cap space make plenty of sense if the goal is to acquire a quality player, but it's just another need to have Sweeney close something, so it's therefore a longshot. Put simply, if the Bruins are in a competitive situation for a quality player, either via trade or free agency, Sweeney will not get that player. The record proves it. Rick Nash might be the only exception.

So why bother free up cap space? Is there another fringe player we need to add to our ever expanding fringe player group? We need another Wagner? Lauzon? Zboril? Clifton? Moore? Kuhlman? Biff McStiff? Pass, pass, pass pass pass pass.

Reactions: JOKER 192
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->