GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020 - XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
According to his agent, Robert Hooper, 13 teams have expressed interest in free agent Mike Hoffman this month, including five or six who are considered serious contenders to sign the 30-year-old winger.
Hoffman sits No. 1 among TSN's top remaining free agents and led all remaining unsigned players in goals and points last season.
“I think teams are a little paralyzed at this point in time by the flat cap,” Hooper told Adam Vingan of The Athletic Monday. “I think some of the teams that would love to add Mike Hoffman to their roster have had difficulty moving pieces around in order to make room for a guy like Mike. The feedback on him has been very positive. It’s just a matter of making it fit.
“I think it’s just a situation where until we know when the puck’s being dropped, there’s no pressure on either side to really do anything.”
Hooper confirmed that Hoffman, who had 29 goals and 59 points in 69 games with the Florida Panthers last season, is open to a one-year deal, as TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli reported last week.
"One player who has held firm on his value and his belief is Mike Hoffman," Seravalli explained on Insider Trading. "Who is somewhere probably between $5.5 million and $6.5 million on a one-year deal. A guy who averages 27 goals a season. He can be had on that one-year deal. The teams that are most interested at this point are the Boston Bruins, the Columbus Blue Jackets and also the Nashville Predators. But other teams like the Habs, like the Canucks could be in the mix if they’re able to move pieces."
Hoffman was traded to the Panthers prior to the 2018-19 and posted a career-high 36 goals and 70 points in his first season with the club.
He is coming off a four-year, $20.75 million contract.

This should be exciting news but at this point I imagine most Bruins fans feel like...

giphy.gif

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Right so ultimately if we don’t add another guy you do throw DeBrusk with Coyle and then by default Krejci is the third line center. Maybe that hurts but I doubt it causes a problem. I think Krejci is better than that.

I don't see them taking JDB off of Krecji's wing without a replacement in place.

Reactions: bbfan419

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I listen to a lot of Vancouver radio the past month... this sekeres/price show is great and I have learnt how to listen to it through iheartradio and my smart tv which is so convienent for me.

anyhow... the channel is discussing a lot including a pick with Eriksson to move him... but there is no indication the team itself is anywhere near this idea. and the support from the talking heads is mixed.

its a moot point for us... we dont have the cap room to eat Eriksson's contract without Vancouver retaining AND taking back a contract

loui is only on the books for 2 years... could it make sense for us to trade for him?

if Vancouver retains 2 million...
AND if Vancouver takes John Moore...
THEN loui costs us just 1.25 mill
Vancouver is still saving the 1.25 mill and getting a much needed dman. I think we could leverage a 3rd round pick for that

would we like a 3rd line of
Eriksson/krejci/kase?

Eriksson still kills penalties very well... could he rebound and find some lost love for the game coming home to boston and krejci?

Eriksson has 42 points in 130 games the last 2 years despite sucking
Bjork {who would be replaced} has 34 points in 108 games

could we move the cost effectent Bjork somewhere for a dman we like?

would Bjork and debrusk be enough to bring us back hanifin?

would mike houghman sign with us if we added an impact dman of this nature?

I actually think Eriksson makes us stronger than Bjork does

houghman would need to sign cheap... but I like this lineup

marchand/Bergeron/pastrnak
houghman/coyle/smith
Eriksson/krejci/kase
Ritchie/kuraly/wagner
senyshyn

grezlyck/mcavoy
hanifin/carlo
lauzon/miller
zboril/clifton

expensive for us for sure... but no holes anywhere to exploit

Reactions: The don godfather

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I listen to a lot of Vancouver radio the past month... this sekeres/price show is great and I have learnt how to listen to it through iheartradio and my smart tv which is so convienent for me.

anyhow... the channel is discussing a lot including a pick with Eriksson to move him... but there is no indication the team itself is anywhere near this idea. and the support from the talking heads is mixed.

its a moot point for us... we dont have the cap room to eat Eriksson's contract without Vancouver retaining AND taking back a contract

loui is only on the books for 2 years... could it make sense for us to trade for him?

if Vancouver retains 2 million...
AND if Vancouver takes John Moore...
THEN loui costs us just 1.25 mill
Vancouver is still saving the 1.25 mill and getting a much needed dman. I think we could leverage a 3rd round pick for that

would we like a 3rd line of
Eriksson/krejci/kase?

Eriksson still kills penalties very well... could he rebound and find some lost love for the game coming home to boston and krejci?

Eriksson has 42 points in 130 games the last 2 years despite sucking
Bjork {who would be replaced} has 34 points in 108 games

could we move the cost effectent Bjork somewhere for a dman we like?

would Bjork and debrusk be enough to bring us back hanifin?

would mike houghman sign with us if we added an impact dman of this nature?

I actually think Eriksson makes us stronger than Bjork does

houghman would need to sign cheap... but I like this lineup

marchand/Bergeron/pastrnak
houghman/coyle/smith
Eriksson/krejci/kase
Ritchie/kuraly/wagner
senyshyn

grezlyck/mcavoy
hanifin/carlo
lauzon/miller
zboril/clifton

expensive for us for sure... but no holes anywhere to exploit
Did you trade JDB?

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Jets are tight against the cap right now and they need help on the backend. Yes Moore is redundant in Boston but he can be a serviceable 4-5-6 guy in Winnipeg.

To Bos:
Laine + Lowry =9.66 million
To Wpg:
Debrusk (3.5 @ 4 yrs) + Vaak +Bjork +Moore +Kuraly = 9.125 million

Thoughts?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Jets are tight against the cap right now and they need help on the backend. Yes Moore is redundant in Boston but he can be a serviceable 4-5-6 guy in Winnipeg.

To Bos:
To Wpg:

Thoughts?

I'd like Laine but I don't see them moving him for JDB and a bunch of junk.

I'm sure there would be plenty of offers from other teams that would beat that.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

To Bos:
To Wpg:

Thoughts?

man, the seguin trade really f***ed us up :laugh:

alternatively, see Gonzo's reply

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

To Bos:
To Wpg:

Thoughts?
Jets do need help on the back end, but, Moore, really? They lost T. Myers, J. Trouba, D. Bufflign (sp) and B. Chairot. Josh Morrissey is their go-to guy on D.

You’d have to add a Grzelcyk, for example, and take back a forward.

Reactions: Kegs

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

To Bos:
To Wpg:

Thoughts?

Chevy probably tells Sweeney to never call him again.

Lowry and Kuraly are basically a wash. Big 4th line Centers who if your desperate can play on the 3rd line. Similar production, both UFA next summer, born two months apart. There is some cap savings for Winnipeg but with Bryan Little's career in serious doubt, LTIR may alleviate their cap crunch.

So it's really Laine for Debrusk + Bjork + Vaak + Moore. And it's Laine at his new AAV on his next extension that needs to be compared really, a lot of Winnipeg's interest in moving him is his next contract. Laine's numbers in his first two seasons exceeded Jack Eichel's, and Eichel got 10 million AAV based on his first two years at a 65 pt. pace per 82 games. So maybe Laine isn't getting 10 million per, but is 8.5-9.0 out of the question on a long-term deal if he scores at a 35 goal/40 assist per 82 pace this year? The flat cap will impact what he gets no doubt, which actually works in Winnipeg's (or his new teams) favor. He has holes in his game, and I don't believe Winnipeg thinks he's worth what the market for him could be.

So say you have Debrusk at 3.5 3-4 years, Bjork makes 1.6 for 3 more, Moore is 2.75 for 3 more, 3.5+1.6+2.75 that's 7.85 right there. Then Vaak would need a new contract in two seasons.

A borderline 2nd line LW (Debrusk), a 24-year old who hasn't established himself as an NHL regular (Bjork), a veteran depth D-man who has spent more time in the pressbox than on the ice the past two seasons (Moore), and a B-level D-man prospect (Vaak), for a 22-year old winger who has scored at a 37 goal pace since entering the league? A guy who may has one of the Top 5 releases in the sport?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

To Bos:
To Wpg:

Thoughts?
Don't think Laine is the kind of player the Bruins would go after, but to entertain it, it would probably include DeBrusk + Carlo + Studnicka, not lesser pieces like Bjork, Moore, and Kuraly.

Think of it like this, it is rumored the Jets asked the Flyers for Sanheim or Konecny to be the main part of the deal.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

To Bos:
To Wpg:

Thoughts?

Well, from what I've heard they are looking for a top pairing center in return.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think the move we should be looking for is John Moore and one of our young, cheap forwards/defensemen for cap space.

We have 14 forwards and that does not include Frederic or Studnicka. If they sign Chara as expected they’ll have 9 defensemen. You can’t carry a 25 man roster so there are some guys here they can move as a sweetener to take on money.

If they can do that, then they’ll have around $9-10m in cap space ($6.5 now plus $3.5 in Moore and a yoot) to sign or trade for someone.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I think the move we should be looking for is John Moore and one of our young, cheap forwards/defensemen for cap space.

We have 14 forwards and that does not include Frederic or Studnicka. If they sign Chara as expected they’ll have 9 defensemen. You can’t carry a 25 man roster so there are some guys here they can move as a sweetener to take on money.

If they can do that, then they’ll have around $9-10m in cap space ($6.5 now plus $3.5 in Moore and a yoot) to sign or trade for someone.

Assuming the league doesn't expand the roster for the season... what if the AHL doesn't have a season this year, where will teams send players? There is much still unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->