Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thornton on why he chose the Maple Leafs: 'I need to win a Stanley Cup'

While newly-signed Toronto Maple Leafs centre Joe Thornton admitted there was a family element to his reasoning behind signing with the club, being from St. Thomas, Ontario, Thornton said the main reason he made the decision was the quality of the team.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Because games 1, 2, 4, and 5 are closer to what that series out. That's why I'm saying that while Tampa's 2nd outplayed the Bruins that game. The rest of the series they were even. Also I removed game 1 from the stats and guess what they were still tied for points.

You can't remove a game from a series to fit a narrative though. It's cheap and doesn't hold up. It was part of the series and 'closer to what' is subjective and your bias bleeds in.

Take all the stats and all the results and compare. It's the facts. It was the end result. Removing a game is like removing all the scoring from the 1st period to fit a narrative. No one would do that but people love to remove games.

Tampa Bay fans could easily argue that the Bruins simply held on for dear life through the other four games and the one game you are removing is when the Bruins broke and reality set in. Then they spent the games after chasing the Cup Champions around.

For example, check out the pools and opinions of the Tampa fans as to which team was the most difficult challenge. Boston isn't in the top two for a reason; it was a relatively easy series win.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
You can't remove a game from a series to fit a narrative though. It's cheap and doesn't hold up. It was part of the series and 'closer to what' is subjective and your bias bleeds in.

Take all the stats and all the results and compare. It's the facts. It was the end result. Removing a game is like removing all the scoring from the 1st period to fit a narrative. No one would do that but people love to remove games.

Tampa Bay fans could easily argue that the Bruins simply held on for dear life through the other four games and the one game you are removing is when the Bruins broke and reality set in. Then they spent the games after chasing the Cup Champions around.

For example, check out the pools and opinions of the Tampa fans as to which team was the most difficult challenge. Boston isn't in the top two for a reason; it was a relatively easy series win.
So I'm going to use an analogy. When I'm getting my distances for my 7 iron I don't use the one that I catch perfectly that goes 193 yards unless I do that another 4 times. So I remove and find that my average is 165 yards instead. Everyone knows that Tampa outplayed Boston in game 3. That is an outlier so it isn't a good representation of that series. Now if it was the opposite I would do the same. In those other 4 games they were much closer.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So I'm going to use an analogy. When I'm getting my distances for my 7 iron I don't use the one that I catch perfectly that goes 193 yards unless I do that another 4 times. So I remove and find that my average is 165 yards instead. Everyone knows that Tampa outplayed Boston in game 3. That is an outlier so it isn't a good representation of that series. Now if it was the opposite I would do the same. In those other 4 games they were much closer.

But you are still removing stats and calling 'mulligan'.

Flip it. Remove game 1. Tampa swept Boston four straight. Easily. See how that fits a narrative?

The Bruins were swept in four against Tampa and let's use those stats and arbitrarily remove a game. That doesn't allow the team or players to look in the mirror and adjust at all.

Take the entire series, including the spanking and realize that the better team dominated for most of it and Boston wasn't even their toughest competition. Perhaps 3rd or even forth sadly. Some argued that Columbus gave them more of a scare and played them harder than Boston.

Islanders and Dallas certainly played better against Tampa than Boston, that much is clear and Boston looked like Carolina against Boston; inferior.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Laine is a pipe dream. I’m thinking any other significant adds this off season are as well.

Isn't it sad that this is the norm as the core ages out and leaves? It's like watching a ball of mud in your hand dry up and fall apart in your hands when someone is just saying 'that could hold together with some additional mud/water' and you say 'uh-huh' and just stare it it. First Krug and Chara, next year Rask and Krejci, the following year Marchand and Bergeron.

Hell, by then you could see Pastrnak just playing until UFA and walking. Don't see how they afford to keep him when there's nothing or no one here to play with and the GM is playing hardball with every penny and you already took a hometown discount (which seems like a stupid mistake by all of them who thought it would be used for scoring help and to spend more on top end talent).

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The only one that moves the needle a little bit for me is Brodie, and even then meh. I definitely don’t think he’s making up the difference between them and the cup

Yea well I never saw Bruins do much vs Bogosian in playoffs.You need them type players to win.Probably why Sweeney resigned Kevin Miller

Reactions: Coach Parker

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
But you are still removing stats and calling 'mulligan'.

Flip it. Remove game 1. Tampa swept Boston four straight. Easily. See how that fits a narrative?

The Bruins were swept in four against Tampa and let's use those stats and arbitrarily remove a game. That doesn't allow the team or players to look in the mirror and adjust at all.

Take the entire series, including the spanking and realize that the better team dominated for most of it and Boston wasn't even their toughest competition. Perhaps 3rd or even forth sadly. Some argued that Columbus gave them more of a scare and played them harder than Boston.

Islanders and Dallas certainly played better against Tampa than Boston, that much is clear and Boston looked like Carolina against Boston; inferior.
If winning 2 overtime games and 1 by 2 is dominating than I don't know what to say. I think they faced the same challenge against 3 of the 4 teams. In the Columbus series they won all 4 games by a goal. Other than that they won 2 games by 1 goal, 1 game by 2-3, and 1 as a blowout.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
They added Bogosian,Brodie, Vesey and Jumbo Joe.They are better then they were before that and they had a dangerous offence already.

They also lost...

Cecci
Barrie
Clifford
Kapanen

Added turtles
Jumbo slow
Has been Simmonds
Meh Bogasian
and 3o year old declining Brodie

You're worried about my father makes my decisions Vesey? Really?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If winning 2 overtime games and 1 by 2 is dominating than I don't know what to say. I think they faced the same challenge against 3 of the 4 teams. In the Columbus series they won all 4 games by a goal. Other than that they won 2 games by 1 goal, 1 game by 2-3, and 1 as a blowout.

Yeah, watched those. When you were watching game two for example you knew it was just a matter of time. Boston was dumping and trying desperately just to not get scored on; dominated.

Don't you think the Islanders would love to remove game 1? Tampa spanked them too. Islanders managed to win two games against Tampa. Boston, not so much.

Dallas kept it respectable and even beat Tampa by more than 2 goals. Everyone else squeaked out there 1-2 wins against the Cup champs in OT or by a goal, or goal and EN.

Think we've exhausted this. The main point was that every game counts, every stat counts and needs to be in order to really compare two teams.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
They also lost...

Cecci
Barrie
Clifford
Kapanen

Added turtles
Jumbo slow
Has been Simmonds
Meh Bogasian
and 3o year old declining Brodie

If you say so .Bruins must have alot of declining players to cause they did not win many battles vs Bogosian that series. Brodie is every bit as good as what Bruins have on backend outside McAvoy as well why we are discussing this .And Simmonds would be on 2nd line on the Bruins :laugh:Jesus your calling Brodie declining why our GM waits on Chara.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
For what it's worth this is the one stat that I keep coming back to in regards to the Tampa Series...

During the Regular Season, the Bruins scored on better than 20% of their 5v5 High Danger Scoring Chances.

In the Tampa series, that dropped to 13.8%.

In games 3-5, it was less than 5%.

That's what usually happens when playing the best teams.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
For what it's worth this is the one stat that I keep coming back to in regards to the Tampa Series...

During the Regular Season, the Bruins scored on better than 20% of their 5v5 High Danger Scoring Chances.

In the Tampa series, that dropped to 13.8%.

In games 3-5, it was less than 5%.
Eye test confirmed.

They were dreadful 5 on 5.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

.....so he chose Toronto?

Well he did ask Joe Montana for advice. :laugh:

from tsn.ca:

Before Joe Thornton decided to leave San Jose after 15 seasons and sign a free agent contract with the Maple Leafs, he sought advice from a number of sources - including four-time Super Bowl champion Joe Montana.

Montana had been in Thornton’s shoes, when late in his storied NFL career a quarterback controversy spurred Montana’s trade from the San Francisco 49ers to Kansas City. After taking in what Montana had to say, the 41-year-old Thornton boiled down what he truly wanted in his next club, and why Toronto was the right fit.

“I need to win a Stanley Cup, and I think this is a great team that can do that,” Thornton told reporters on a Zoom call Sunday morning. “It was the hardest hockey decision I've ever had to make, but I truly believe that with the roster they have, with the guys they picked up this offseason, this team is ready to win now and I'm ready to win.”

Full story: Joe Thornton reached out to football great Joe Montana before picking Toronto Maple Leafs - TSN.ca

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well he did ask Joe Montana for advice. :laugh:

from tsn.ca:

Before Joe Thornton decided to leave San Jose after 15 seasons and sign a free agent contract with the Maple Leafs, he sought advice from a number of sources - including four-time Super Bowl champion Joe Montana.

Montana had been in Thornton’s shoes, when late in his storied NFL career a quarterback controversy spurred Montana’s trade from the San Francisco 49ers to Kansas City. After taking in what Montana had to say, the 41-year-old Thornton boiled down what he truly wanted in his next club, and why Toronto was the right fit.

“I need to win a Stanley Cup, and I think this is a great team that can do that,” Thornton told reporters on a Zoom call Sunday morning. “It was the hardest hockey decision I've ever had to make, but I truly believe that with the roster they have, with the guys they picked up this offseason, this team is ready to win now and I'm ready to win.”

Full story: Joe Thornton reached out to football great Joe Montana before picking Toronto Maple Leafs - TSN.ca

He probably didn't have that many options- how many teams poised to make a deep playoff run need/want Jumbo at this point?

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
That's what usually happens when playing the best teams.
Right.

If you stop 87% of High Danger Scoring Chances, you're doing a really good job. The last three games of the series, the Lightning stopped better than 95%. You make the call if the Bruins or Vasilevsky is more responsible for that number.

Eye test confirmed.

They were dreadful 5 on 5.
I'm saying they had enough chances where they should have scored more than 5 even strength goals for the entire series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->