GDT: NHL Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Point loves playing in Tampa and may not even sign the sheet. He seems like a really bad target.

I think Aho was fair game. It was a creative offer but it failed. But I think throwing multiple offer sheets out in one offseason will be very badly looked at by his GM peers. And unlike creating hostility with one team with Carolina, two sheets would bring attention from a lot of GMs...

This is a systemic problem. No GM should fear working within the confines of of the CBA.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I know the agents use these as way to get their players paid....but the whole "Oh the agent said it and not the player" is garbage. Dude signed a deal to play somewhere else. He totally was ok playing somewhere else. So don't play it that the dude didn't want to go somewhere else...he was totally going somewhere else if you didn't match it.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
This is a systemic problem. No GM should fear working within the confines of of the CBA.

I agree. And I think Carolina's indignance to offer sheet is frankly pathetic and juvenile. I mean this happened because you lowballed the shit out of your 21 year old star (and there's a difference between starting low and asking for $6 mil AVV). THAT'S insulting.

I don't think anyone really cares that much about pissing off peers. I think the RFA system is working correctly on it's own. I think the Brian Burke-style antics of teams not cooperating with GMs who offer sheet is pretty childish.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree. And I think Carolina's indignance to offer sheet is frankly of pathetic and juvenile.

I don't think anyone really cares that much about pissing off peers. I think the RFA system is working correctly on it's own. I think the Brian Burke-style antics of teams not cooperating with GMs who offer sheet is pretty childish.

As Twabby likes to imply, there are a lot of dinosaurs in the management layer in the NHL that need to be aged out.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know the agents use these as way to get their players paid....but the whole "Oh the agent said it and not the player" is garbage. Dude signed a deal to play somewhere else. He totally was ok playing somewhere else. So don't play it that the dude didn't want to go somewhere else...he was totally going somewhere else if you didn't match it.

Orrrrrrrr player realized he could sign it and Carolina would match, him getting near his ask and to UFA early. I’d bet more than AAV, term was the bigger sticking point for Aho. I don’t think Aho really expected to move by signing this.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Orrrrrrrr player realized he could sign it and Carolina would match, him getting near his ask and to UFA early. I’d bet more than AAV, term was the bigger sticking point for Aho. I don’t think Aho really expected to move by signing this.

Exactly. It's pretty lame Aho had to sign the sheet to seemingly get Waddel to make even a fair offer. The reports of $6 million AVV WERE insulting, even if Waddel knew Aho would never agree. That goes beyond good negotiating.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I picture negotiations on the Zaitsev/Ceci trade to be like Costner and the Jags GM in Draft Day. Dorion asks for a 2nd Dubas is like Don't be greedy

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly. It's pretty lame Aho had to sign the sheet to seemingly get Waddel to make even a fair offer. The reports of $6 million AVV WERE insulting, even if Waddel knew Aho would never agree. That goes beyond good negotiating.

Any good negotiator would tell you, you can’t be insulted. Aim high/low and work towards a common ground. Both sides do it. I’m sure the Canes would have just as happily signed him to a longer deal at the new AAV.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Any good negotiator would tell you, you can’t be insulted. Aim high/low and work towards a common ground. Both sides do it. I’m sure the Canes would have just as happily signed him to a longer deal at the new AAV.

I agree with that as a basic principle. But you also can't start at a point so low that it makes the other party question your sincerity in getting a deal done.

IMHO, the rumored offer of 8 years for $6 million is very close to reaching that. That is a starting point in 2009, not 2019. You're asking a 21 year old to commit to you and sacrifice some UFA years, and you offer a AVV that 3rd liners are getting.

Maybe it turns out the rumored offer is bogus. But if it was true, I'd be absolutely embarassed as a Canes fan.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with that as a basic principle. But you also can't start at a point so low that it makes the other party question your sincerity in getting a deal done.

IMHO, the rumored offer of 8 years for $6 million is very close to reaching that. That is a starting point in 2009, not 2019. You're asking a 21 year old to commit to you and sacrifice some UFA years, and you offer a AVV that 3rd liners are getting.

Maybe it turns out the rumored offer is bogus. But if it was true, I'd be absolutely embarassed as a Canes fan.

I don’t think for a single second Aho’s agent saw the first offer and immediately thought the worst of the Canes. This is a fan thing IMO. People want to be outraged.

Maybe I’m being more cerebral in my later years lol, but I’d think as an agent you wouldn’t last long if you got outraged over every low offer.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t think for a single second Aho’s agent saw the first offer and immediately thought the worst of the Canes. This is a fan thing IMO. People want to be outraged.

Maybe I’m being more cerebral in my later years lol, but I’d think as an agent you wouldn’t last long if you got outraged over every low offer.

I think if that number didn't change drastically on the next conversation, the negotiation is going to go roughly.

6 million on a 1 year deal is not even a starting point. Let alone a max term length. I could see your arguement if the initial offer was maybe 8 years x $8 million. That's low and both sides know it isn't close to right. But at least you can start there. 8 years for 6 million, for an 80 point center in his 3rd years? That's unfathomable and a waste of time.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean ok, who are we to tell them where to start negotiating?

Dude just had a career year in his contract year. A regression would hardly surprise many longtime NHL fans next year, or maybe he goes up and down like Kuzy?

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I mean ok, who are we to tell them where to start negotiating?

Dude just had a career year in his contract year. A regression would hardly surprise many longtime NHL fans next year, or maybe he goes up and down like Kuzy?

I'm saying it makes sense to start negotiating at a reasonable point with the most important player in your organization. $6 million isn't that. Not in this decade.

Do I think this created some dramatic rift that will sour things with the org. No of course not. But RFA negotiations are the the EASY one. What happens when he's a UFA?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm saying it makes sense to start negotiating at a reasonable point with the most important player in your organization. $6 million isn't that. Not in this decade.

Do I think this created some dramatic rift that will sour things with the org. No of course not. But RFA negotiations are the the EASY one. What happens when he's a UFA?

A lot can change completely in 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad