GDT: NHL Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Once they signed Tavares, the Leafs unwittingly committed to moving one of their wingers. It should have been nylander, but looks like it may have to be Marner.

Personally, I'd do my damndest to trade Nylander for a defenseman and Andersen for a bag of pucks. Then get an expiring goalie at the deadline.

Ah yes...trying to unload Nylanders can be difficult. Lol.

Reactions: HSHS

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Dubas said he was gonna keep the big three and it looks like he has managed to pull it off.

That being said, their top six is stacked but their bottom six is really bad now. Hyman is out to November and on defense Dermott, who will be counted on top four I presume is also out until November.

Spezza is now their 3C? :thumbu:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I don't know everything about hockey but wouldn't this indicate that the Leafs are in WIN NOW mode? :huh::laugh:

View attachment 242109
Yep it looks like a McPhee-era Caps D corp. But their real problem is that their stud forwards don't want to defend the way you have to in order to win in the playoffs, and they're getting sick and tired of listening to the coach who keeps trying to make them do that. Feels like Bruce and Babcock should switch jobs, so Babs can have the muckers he wants and Bruce can unleash the hounds

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah this is...odd. Kadri isn't a bad deal, and he's a good center. But this feels like a terrible return for Barrie and Kerfoot, even if it is a bit of a rental for the Leafs. Plus retaining.

If Soderberg isn't a great 2C (and he isn't) why is Kadri...? Just really weird.

I think people underestimated the Kadri market. He played 3c, but he’s really a 2c. Great player, even though he’s one that skirts the lines of legality (and crosses over) with his hitting.

He’s signed to a great deal for another 3 yrs (I think). Barrie will be a UFA. Kerfoot is meh...he’s a little buddy. It’s not that bad a deal, all things considered, IMO. Kadri is the best player in the deal, and there is that old adage of whomever gets best player usually wins the deal.

So we will see.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I think people underestimated the Kadri market. He played 3c, but he’s really a 2c. Great player, even though he’s one that skirts the lines of legality (and crosses over) with his hitting.

He’s signed to a great deal for another 3 yrs (I think). Barrie will be a UFA. Kerfoot is meh...he’s a little buddy. It’s not that bad a deal, all things considered, IMO. Kadri is the best player in the deal, and there is that old adage of whomever gets best player usually wins the deal.

So we will see.

You very well might be right. I think some hot takes, including mine, are a bit harsh on Kadri. After all, he got 30-30 twice when he was a 2C in Toronto. So he absolutely can produce.

I still just look at the bottom 9 of Colorado and kind of cringe. However, if Compher can step up and be able to split up the Big 3, that helps the 2nd line makeup A LOT.

Landeskog - McKinnon - Compher
Burakovsky - Kadri - Rantanen

Is, IMO, potent. At least hypothetically.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You very well might be right. I think some hot takes, including mine, are a bit harsh on Kadri. After all, he got 30-30 twice when he was a 2C in Toronto. So he absolutely can produce.

I still just look at the bottom 9 of Colorado and kind of cringe. However, if Compher can step up and be able to split up the Big 3, that helps the 2nd line makeup A LOT.

Landeskog - McKinnon - Compher
Burakovsky - Kadri - Rantanen

Is, IMO, potent. At least hypothetically.

Colorado just seems a work in progress, IMO. I’m betting Sakic saw a good but flawed team and determined to fix it. He’s probably like half done (at least in his mind). Obviously very debatable as to what the end product looks like...but he’s got a lot of monetary and prospect capital left to wheel and deal.

No arguments from me on the on-ice product being odd right now....but I can see what he’s trying to do.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
That's still a pretty uninspiring D corp for the Leafs.

Yeah I don't love it. I give Dubas credit because he was saddled with some really wack contracts from Lou and he has essentially removed all of them in a good manner.

The issue is the D still looks...not great. Ceci is really terrible defensively. Barrie feels a lot like a lateral move from Gardiner. So I don't see a ton of improvement really.

Reactions: Sam Spade

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Kadri is a bargain for 3 years. Barrie is a bargain for this season. I highly doubt people see this as a brutal trade for the Avs in a year as Barrie either craps the bed in Toronto or gets north of 7 in Free Agency, and the Leafs likely can't afford him. Kadri will still have 2 more years left @ 4.5m. Obviously that will all change if the Leafs manage to win the Cup next season but i just don't see that happening. Avs knew fully well that Barrie was going to walk in a year.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It was really nice this morning listening to some of the Canadian sports guys praising the Caps and how they "quietly" made some nice moves without breaking the bank.

TSN Winnipeg, which in my opinion is the best of the bunch when it comes to actually just talking about hockey, were especially nice. They keyed in on Leipsic and how they would have loved him as a replacement for Tanev.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It would be funny to see Bergevin go after Point now, but i highly doubt we'll see another.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t know. You could get Point possibly without giving up 4 1st rounders.

I think Point loves playing in Tampa and may not even sign the sheet. He seems like a really bad target.

I think Aho was fair game. It was a creative offer but it failed. But I think throwing multiple offer sheets out in one offseason will be very badly looked at by his GM peers. And unlike creating hostility with one team with Carolina, two sheets would bring attention from a lot of GMs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad