GDT: NHL free agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
While I agree with your premise that Walker isn't a huge risk to lose on waivers, he wasn't passed over by every team the second time he was waived. The Caps had 1st waiver priority because he was claimed from them that year.

They only get first crack if he is waived twice, Caps were 25th in the order.

This time around, the Caps are 25th in the waiver order if they want to bring Walker back. If no other NHL team puts in a claim, the Caps could re-claim Walker and assign him to Hershey – their plan all along.

Edmonton Oilers place Nathan Walker on waivers

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
While I agree with your premise that Walker isn't a huge risk to lose on waivers, he wasn't passed over by every team the second time he was waived. The Caps had 1st waiver priority because he was claimed from them that year.

Edit: forget what I just wrote ... hadn't seen Sam's post.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I mean, if the Leafs manage the next few years correctly, they could be a 100 point teams for a good stretch. I am not a Tavares fan, but he'll be much more impactful as the 2C.

They need to find somebody to pay to take the Horton contract and trade Kadri for a defenseman in something similar to the Johansen-Jones deal. Trouba might make sense if he's not seriously looking for $8M AAV

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's not true. You don't get any special waiver priority due to having a player claimed from you earlier in the season.

We also know that no other team put in a claim for Walker because the Capitals were allowed to assign him directly to the AHL.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Toronto is all in this year. 19-20 will be difficult
They can't afford a competitive team with 2 guys over 11M per.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The salary cap era, and the ever increasing cap gives a great opportunity to get ahead if you know your players, know their value & can predict what the cap will generally be moving forward.

There is nothing wrong with giving players long term deals if they are the right players.
Backstrom has been a bargain for so long. Kuzy is already looking to be a steal, Eller the same.

GMBM getting in early before the sizeable cap raise just makes them look even better.
JVR vs Oshie deal
Niskanen deal today is great too.

Dont be afraid to give full term at a lower rate if you know your player. It opens up so much. Our team payroll structure is a thing of beauty.

Whats crazy about this is that a year ago we were all sorta thinking the window had closed, that they would lose players they wanted to keep, because of their cap situation. It was so depressing that a reporter asks Ovi about the lowered expectations and he responds defiantly "we're not going to be suck this year".

Fast forward to this offseason and GMBM has pulled every string perfectly, made every move purposefully, and we're set up to keep this band together for how ever long Ovi and Backie keep playing.

Reactions: third man in

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
IF You look at Leafs last season and the forwards , How many points took leafs when a player playd 17 min and over Toronto has 105 points in 82 games thats 1,28
Hyman 50 games 1,24 points,
Matthews 48 1,10 ,
Kadri 43 1,37
Nylander 43 1,09
Marleau 41 1,15
Marner 30 1,03
Komarov 23 1,65
Bozak 19 1,05
Brown 15 1,73
van Riemsdyk 12 1,00

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Followed by this one.

This guy and the inneffective math guy really need to work on their visualizations. If it's not intuitive within 5-10 seconds, you might as well just present it as a table of data.

They need to talk to this guy and use his technique: Football Radars (@FussballRadars) | Twitter

From a leverage standpoint, the Jack Johnson contract is horrible. He's coming off the worst season of his career. However, I don't think he's as bad as this last season indicated. He'll be closer to Team USA Jack Johnson than Columbus Blue Jacket Jack Johnson with the Pens, I'm guessing.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
A possible problem with advanced stats is they don't reflect what the coach asks a player to do, makes zilch - no consideration for playing injured, and doesn't reflect a poorly motivated player, say a guy on a shitty team having a rough spell in his life, or needing a change of scenery trade, see Oshie, TJ.

A D can be asked to try to drive play, or chip it out. Which one is going to be the dreamy player. I bet the guy told to try the longer passes.

Look at Oshie after his buttkabong. He was a mess. I think Nisky was a mess for lack of a better word a lot of this year too. Orpik was the "worst" player in the NHL. Until Bowey got scratched / Jack Johnson's ice time got bumped up.

Us old schoolers would still use plus minus as a reliable stat, if it weren't for ole plus fiddy.

He got his payday, and he got his ring. Lets not laugh too hard.

Schultz_hate.gif

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
No way in hell is Matthews a better player than Backstrom right now. He would have to become a 1.1ppg player to sniff that given Backstroms all round game.

Miller did not impress me at all in playoffs. I think GMGM is in a real hard spot with so much over performance by his squad during the season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There are plenty of ways to see how a a player is utilized by his coach when evaluating “advanced stats.” Zone starts, quality of competition, relative stats, etc etc etc.
Many of the “adjusted” metrics will account for these factors.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
No way in hell is Matthews a better player than Backstrom right now. He would have to become a 1.1ppg player to sniff that given Backstroms all round game.

Matthews is a goal scoring beast well beyond what Backstrom has ever shown, and is only 20 years old. And that doesn’t come at the expense of the rest of his game. He is a top3-5 Center in this league right now.

Reactions: Jags

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Good lawd, when I didn't think it could be possible, the Leafs fans will be even more insufferable this coming year.:banghead:

Just hope that cap hell is just around the bend for them.

They still have no defense.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
BTW to me the original plus fiddy, was Brian Pothier. Plus Fordy playing on the bottom 6 of a jack stacked team. I didn't like that signing from day 1. I think I joined HF to vent over him to someone who couldn't ignore me. Easily.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Leafs fans are insufferable, but don't let that cloud your view of Matthews, who is a truly special player. He's not McDavid, but he's damn good.

That being said, I'm pleasantly amused that the way the league is copycatting the Capitals is by loading up down the middle. Everyone trying to find their Kuznetsov/Backstrom/Eller/Beagle group. Obviously there's Toronto landing Tavares. But also St. Louis loading up with O'Reilly and Bozak, Vegas stealing Stastny away from Winnipeg, and even the Penguins kept Sheahan and brought back Cullen to give them 4th line options. The NHL is going to have quite a few teams stacked down the middle next year.

WSH - Kuznetsov/Backstrom/Eller
PIT - Crosby/Malkin/Brassard/Sheahan/Cullen
TOR - Matthews/Tavares/Kadri
EDM - McDavid/Draisatl/RNH
STL - O'Reilly/Schenn/Bozak
TB - Stamkos/Point/Johnson

Plus a bunch with 2 good centers (Vegas, Nashville, Winnipeg, Los Angeles) and some teams with center/winger flex players (San Jose, Boston, Philadelphia).
And then there's the Canadiens. :biglaugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: ovikovy817

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Eh I don't think the Capitals invented or perfected or innovated the have really good centres system.
Not claiming they invented it (or that it's even a system). But this is a copycat league and every year there's teams who attempt to steal whatever "secret ingredient" was behind the success of the previous years' winner. Heck, even the Capitals did that for a few years (trying to go skill/possession after Chicago wins, "heavy" after LA wins, and speed/youth after Pittsburgh wins). This year the copycat effect seems to be in play with big splashes at the center position.

Granted, some of that was definitely John Tavares being on the market at all, but simply looking at Toronto's roster with Matthews and Kadri wouldn't lend someone to the belief they needed another Top 6 center (especially an $11M AAV center). Yet they went anyway. And St. Louis invested heavily on not one but two centers with a history of production in the top 6. I definitely think the 1A + 1B + 2/3C depth is vogue this off-season after Washington's win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->