NHL Forwards Rankings #12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So Point edges out Ovechkin, Pasta Man and Marchy to take 11th spot. Point just a fantastic player and upped his game HUGE in the playoffs when it matters the most. True winner. Anyways onto 12, probably one of those three runners up from the last round

1 Mcdavid EDM 85% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #1
2 COL Mackinnon 60% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #2
3 Draisatl EDM 40% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #3
4 Kucherov TB 56% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #4
5 Crosby PITTS 55% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #5
6 NYR Panarin 44% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #6
7 PITTS Malkin 26% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #7
8 Jeichel BUFF 33% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #8
9 Matthews TOR 43% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #9
10 Kane CHI 29% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #10
11 Point TB 25% 2020 HFBoards NHL Forward Rankings #11

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
You would take Stone over:
Aho
Barkov
Couturier
Hall
Ovechkin
O Reilly
Pastrnak
Pettersson
Rantanen
Schiefele

??
He’s much better than them as a play driver and defender so clearly. Dude is insanely good but doesn’t put up gaudy points so people ignore it

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He’s much better than them as a play driver and defender so clearly. Dude is insanely good but doesn’t put up gaudy points so people ignore it
Small sample size i know but i was not very impressed with him in the playoffs at all. Maybe was playing thru injuries but thought all the hype about him was a bit overrated

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Small sample size i know but i was not very impressed with him in the playoffs at all. Maybe was playing thru injuries but thought all the hype about him was a bit overrated
You should watch him more. There are a number of analysts who have him as a top 3 winger for good reason, in my mind he’s clearly better than anyone not named kucherov or panarin, with the exception of maybe Marchand

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I mean, he’s a 60-70 pt winger. So regardless of his defensive impact is he really driving play that much compared to say an equally talented center like Bergeron, Aho or RoR? I love Stone and have since his Ottawa days, but this idea that he is a top ten forward in the league is just severely misplaced.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Marchand may be the most underrated player in the league if he's actually going 12th overall for just a forward ranking.
Which of these guys do you have him over? No hostility, genuinely curious.

I could see Kane, maybe Malkin at this point (especially considering injury), but the rest are pretty hard sells imo.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Which of these guys do you have him over? No hostility, genuinely curious.

I could see Kane, maybe Malkin at this point (especially considering injury), but the rest are pretty hard sells imo.

Right now, I believe Marchand is a better hockey player than Eichel, Matthews, Panarin (close though), Point and Kane (similar scoring but better defense). He's right on the edge of Kucherov/Crosby in my mind. There aren't many nights in the course of a season that Marchand isn't the best player on the ice in a game.

Marchand provides so much more than just offensive output as well, not that I'm saying a guy who produces 100 point and is a one zone player is a negative or anything, his three zone play is outstanding it's just an element to his game that many of the guys on this list don't possess at all, only Point, Panarin and maybeeee Crosby are close in defensive ability / penalty killing.

Here are Marchand stats since 2016:

Regular Season (2016-2020):
Points - 5th but 3rd in points/game behind only McDavid and Kucherov
Goals - 10th (6 ahead of MacKinnon in 20 less games played)
Assists - 5th behind McDavid, Kucherov, Kane and Wheeler
+/- 2nd among forwards at +83 (first place is Panarin at +91)
Game winning goals - 1st with 30 (Kucherov is 2nd with 28)
Shorthanded points - 1st with 19
ES points - 6th

Playoffs (2016-2020):
Points: 1st with 56 points, Kuznetsov is 2nd, Kucherov 3rd.
PPG: 15th, 1.02ppg (MacKinnon is 1st with 1.33ppg)
Game winning goals: Tied-3rd

I have no clue if that changes your mind at all or gives you another opinion, but I'd like to think it's at least a fairly compelling argument.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Right now, I believe Marchand is a better hockey player than Eichel, Matthews, Panarin (close though), Point and Kane (similar scoring but better defense). He's right on the edge of Kucherov/Crosby in my mind. There aren't many nights in the course of a season that Marchand isn't the best player on the ice in a game.

Marchand provides so much more than just offensive output as well, not that I'm saying a guy who produces 100 point and is a one zone player is a negative or anything, his three zone play is outstanding it's just an element to his game that many of the guys on this list don't possess at all, only Point, Panarin and maybeeee Crosby are close in defensive ability / penalty killing.

Here are Marchand stats since 2016:

Regular Season (2016-2020):
Points - 5th but 3rd in points/game behind only McDavid and Kucherov
Goals - 10th (6 ahead of MacKinnon in 20 less games played)
Assists - 5th behind McDavid, Kucherov, Kane and Wheeler
+/- 2nd among forwards at +83 (first place is Panarin at +91)
Game winning goals - 1st with 30 (Kucherov is 2nd with 28)
Shorthanded points - 1st with 19
ES points - 6th

Playoffs (2016-2020):
Points: 1st with 56 points, Kuznetsov is 2nd, Kucherov 3rd.
PPG: 15th, 1.02ppg (MacKinnon is 1st with 1.33ppg)
Game winning goals: Tied-3rd

I have no clue if that changes your mind at all or gives you another opinion, but I'd like to think it's at least a fairly compelling argument.

Marchand gets punished because of the line he plays on, but he probably should be much higher.

Reactions: Emerz

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I mean, he’s a 60-70 pt winger. So regardless of his defensive impact is he really driving play that much compared to say an equally talented center like Bergeron, Aho or RoR? I love Stone and have since his Ottawa days, but this idea that he is a top ten forward in the league is just severely misplaced.

Stone has scored 198 points in his last 200 regular season games.

If you include the Round Robin and the playoffs, he’s got 227 in his last 227.

Over half of that sample comes from playing with the Ottawa Senators, where he was centered by the likes of Chris Tierney.

The idea that Stone is a “60-70 point winger” is what is actually severely misplaced.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
1. Marchand
2. Ovechkin
3. Pasta
4. Pettersson
5. Bergeron
6. Barkov
7. Stone
8. Aho
9. Barzal
10. Marner

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Ovechkin scored 48 goals last year, id surely take that over Marchand considering Marchands line is far more stacked

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Goal scoring is pretty important though, dont you think!

If Ovechkin had Bergeron and Marchand feeding him like Pastrnak does, he probably breaks 60

Because Backstrom and Kuznetsov are inferior playmakers or something? Apart from his early career before Backstrom joined the league, Ovechkin's always had elite playmakers to play with. He's one guy you can't use the "if only he had better playmakers setting him up" argument for.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Marchand is the most underrated player on these boards, he's been a top 5-6 forward in hockey over the last 3 seasons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Because Backstrom and Kuznetsov are inferior playmakers or something? Apart from his early career before Backstrom joined the league, Ovechkin's always had elite playmakers to play with. He's one guy you can't use the "if only he had better playmakers setting him up" argument for.
I didnt say that plus Kuznetsov doesnt play 5v5 with Ovechkin

Im not positive but 100% certain if Ovechkin had Marchand and Bergeron on his 5v5 line he breaks 10+ goals higher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->