NHL Fortnite Tournament going on now

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I struggle with the new generation of consoles because I grew up on 2 button NES and 3 button Genesis in a 2D world. I get overwhelmed with the multiple buttons and such.

I still enjoy playing- some mindless fun for a few hours. My stepson also plays with me so that's been some good bonding time

I grew up on those consoles as well, but I adjusted when I started playing Socom.

I was a top ranked player in Socom and did it straight, no glitching like other ranked players.

I’m just older and slower now I guess, because the really good players wreck me.

But these pros and such play for hours every day... that’s how I got good at Socom because I had time and no responsibilities back then.

Your daughter must be making bank, cause those are pro numbers.

Are they?

She keeps asking me to stream and says she’s as good as some pros, but I have no clue and I’m also worried about a nine year old doing that.

Too many creeps out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
She keeps asking me to stream and says she’s as good as some pros, but I have no clue and I’m also worried about a nine year old doing that.

Too many creeps out there.
Yeah that would be a tough call. It would be a super cool thing to be able to do if she's actually good enough. But man, the internet really is a cesspool.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah that would be a tough call. It would be a super cool thing to be able to do if she's actually good enough. But man, the internet really is a cesspool.

Ya I feel kind of guilty because I suspect she could make a little money streaming with her skills...

... but calling the intrawebs a cesspool is being too kind.

I don’t know if she could do it anonymously somehow, but I’m not going to worry about it unless she really pushes the issue.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Yea just last week I'm in squads and these 2 kids obviously knew each other. I'm guessing they were like 11 yrs old
First thing out of their mouths: "Oh I just ****'d your mom"

You'd think nowadays kids would do something more original than mom jokes

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
No idea about bots, but they seem to act like humans... how can you even tell?

She wins a lot at solo as well when I watch her. She had a 19 or 20 kill game the last time I watched her play solo. I assume that’s pretty good but dunno.

She was all excited today because she got 40 kills in Team Rumble.

Are there bots in that?

damn those are good numbers, maybe she does just wreck people

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yea just last week I'm in squads and these 2 kids obviously knew each other. I'm guessing they were like 11 yrs old
First thing out of their mouths: "Oh I just ****'d your mom"

You'd think nowadays kids would do something more original than mom jokes
the classics are classic for a reason

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
damn those are good numbers, maybe she does just wreck people

Ya, so I’m a decent player (5-6 kills a game)... I just did a 1v1 agt her tonight and she put me in a mayo jar.

That was humbling.

I’d wreck her at Socom so, whatever.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I tried to play fortnite once, I feel like playing that game is what people with ADHD have going on in their heads when they try to think.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think I had 1 kill in my 3 or 4 games of Fortnite. I am just useless at 3rd person shooters. I was a lot better at Apex Legends, but still certainly not good. I think CoD Warzone was my least favorite of the bunch. There's just something about CoD that doesn't feel right to me. No idea what it is, but the shooting mechanics have never felt good in any of the few I've tried. Which is any of them that put out a free mode or demo.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think I had 1 kill in my 3 or 4 games of Fortnite. I am just useless at 3rd person shooters. I was a lot better at Apex Legends, but still certainly not good. I think CoD Warzone was my least favorite of the bunch. There's just something about CoD that doesn't feel right to me. No idea what it is, but the shooting mechanics have never felt good in any of the few I've tried. Which is any of them that put out a free mode or demo.

When I was heavy into Socom, my cousin tried to get me to like COD and I hated it.

Like you said, the shooting mechanics are wonky and it felt too weird.

Fortnite is the only TPS game I’ve liked since Socom. The combat controls feel natural to me, but I don’t play enough for the building aspect to be second nature.

My biggest issue is switching from builds back to the right weapons quickly if I have out say an AR before I go into my builds... then when I switch out and need my shottie... sometimes I spaz out.

Ie I was playing duos with my daughter yesterday and doing well, then we squared off agt a really good duo and I was trying to lay cover fire for my daughter with my AR.... one of the guys pushed on me and I started to ramp... then when I went to pop him with my shottie my AR was still out...

So I spazzed out trying to get to my shottie and tried to hit him with a f***ing med kit... that shit is so embarrassing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
When I was heavy into Socom, my cousin tried to get me to like COD and I hated it.

Like you said, the shooting mechanics are wonky and it felt too weird.

Fortnite is the only TPS game I’ve liked since Socom. The combat controls feel natural to me, but I don’t play enough for the building aspect to be second nature.

My biggest issue is switching from builds back to the right weapons quickly if I have out say an AR before I go into my builds... then when I switch out and need my shottie... sometimes I spaz out.

Ie I was playing duos with my daughter yesterday and doing well, then we squared off agt a really good duo and I was trying to lay cover fire for my daughter with my AR.... one of the guys pushed on me and I started to ramp... then when I went to pop him with my shottie my AR was still out...

So I spazzed out trying to get to my shottie and tried to hit him with a f***ing med kit... that shit is so embarrassing.
I certainly never tried building anything on the fly in the few games I played. But I've done the same sort of spazzing in Valorant. Oh I need to switch to my pistol. Shit, that's my scout drone. Now I'm dead. Glad the rest of my team was dead and watching that from my PoV :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I certainly never tried building anything on the fly in the few games I played. But I've done the same sort of spazzing in Valorant. Oh I need to switch to my pistol. Shit, that's my scout drone. Now I'm dead. Glad the rest of my team was dead and watching that from my PoV :laugh:

Ya that’s funny because when I played Socom I loved knowing people were watching me. I relished being the last man standing on my squad and would usually be able to take out the rest of the other squad myself...

Then next round my team would come on the mic and tell me I’m a beast, that was sick, etc

With Fortnite it’s the total opposite feeling. I’m all paranoid someone will be spectating me while I try to beat a guy to death with a med kit...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ya that’s funny because when I played Socom I loved knowing people were watching me. I relished being the last man standing on my squad and would usually be able to take out the rest of the other squad myself...

Then next round my team would come on the mic and tell me I’m a beast, that was sick, etc

With Fortnite it’s the total opposite feeling. I’m all paranoid someone will be spectating me while I try to beat a guy to death with a med kit...
I am incredibly inconsistent so far in Valorant. I'll have an 18-8 game followed up with a 6-14 game for no damn reason. I'd blame it on the game being beta so MMR isn't great yet, but I was the same way in Counterstrike.

I'm definitely not a fan of knowing I'm being watched though. Sometimes it's cool, and when you do well it feels awesome to know they saw it. But I'm certainly not taking out the rest of the squad myself on a regular basis :laugh: So far I haven't run in to many toxic people in Valorant though, which is a surprise. But I also haven't gone in to the ranked mode yet.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
EA NHL is so bad they are playing Fortnite :laugh: If that isn't a wake-up call I don't know what is.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I tried to play fortnite once, I feel like playing that game is what people with ADHD have going on in their heads when they try to think.

It is. All these games are ADHD shooters. Fortnite was actually pretty fun/fresh a long time ago aka when it first came out and all the little kids didn't hop on. Then all the stupid stuff came into the game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am incredibly inconsistent so far in Valorant. I'll have an 18-8 game followed up with a 6-14 game for no damn reason. I'd blame it on the game being beta so MMR isn't great yet, but I was the same way in Counterstrike.

I'm definitely not a fan of knowing I'm being watched though. Sometimes it's cool, and when you do well it feels awesome to know they saw it. But I'm certainly not taking out the rest of the squad myself on a regular basis :laugh: So far I haven't run in to many toxic people in Valorant though, which is a surprise. But I also haven't gone in to the ranked mode yet.

When you are extremely good, it’s fun to have spectators, when you are just decent, it isn’t something I really want.

Did you ever play Unreal Tournament?

I never got into it, but my bro was hardcore with it.

Trying to think of other shooter games he or I played...

We both were really good at Perfect Dark, but there wasn’t an online option back then I don’t think... can’t recall.

Kind of wild but Perfect Dark was set in 2020...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
When you are extremely good, it’s fun to have spectators, when you are just decent, it isn’t something I really want.

Did you ever play Unreal Tournament?

I never got into it, but my bro was hardcore with it.

Trying to think of other shooter games he or I played...

We both were really good at Perfect Dark, but there wasn’t an online option back then I don’t think... can’t recall.

Kind of wild but Perfect Dark was set in 2020...
I played some Unreal Tournament, but never much. I liked it, but I just got in to it pretty late. We had a group of us play it online a lot for a few weeks in college at one point, but that was really the bulk of it.

I played a shitload of Perfect Dark, but it wasn't online. That game was so much fun. A lot of the same people went on to make the Timesplitters games. Those were also awesome.

Counterstrike was always my main online shooter though. Back when they still had individual servers instead of all matchmaking. We had like 10 of us from our school that played, but then we found a server where we eventually knew like everyone who played there. Man those were the days. We actually got a sponsor for a bit. They paid for a server for us and paid fees to get us into a league. Didn't last long, but it was still pretty cool.

I definitely prefer the objective based gameplay like CS and Socom over pure deathmatch or the battle royale style.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I played some Unreal Tournament, but never much. I liked it, but I just got in to it pretty late. We had a group of us play it online a lot for a few weeks in college at one point, but that was really the bulk of it.

I played a shitload of Perfect Dark, but it wasn't online. That game was so much fun. A lot of the same people went on to make the Timesplitters games. Those were also awesome.

Counterstrike was always my main online shooter though. Back when they still had individual servers instead of all matchmaking. We had like 10 of us from our school that played, but then we found a server where we eventually knew like everyone who played there. Man those were the days. We actually got a sponsor for a bit. They paid for a server for us and paid fees to get us into a league. Didn't last long, but it was still pretty cool.

I definitely prefer the objective based gameplay like CS and Socom over pure deathmatch or the battle royale style.

Oh right... Timesplitters... my bro and I beat that. It was a pretty bad ass game.

Perfect Dark was hilarious when you cranked the settings up to Perfect... the bots would come through closed doors and wipe us out before we could blink...

We had so many good times with that game though.

I never played Counterstrike but had a buddy that did.

Did you play Socom online?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh right... Timesplitters... my bro and I beat that. It was a pretty bad ass game.

Perfect Dark was hilarious when you cranked the settings up to Perfect... the bots would come through closed doors and wipe us out before we could blink...

We had so many good times with that game though.

I never played Counterstrike but had a buddy that did.

Did you play Socom online?
I did, but not for very long. From what I remember it was basically the same game as Counterstrike, just 3rd person and on a console. Different maps and whatnot obviously, but the same gameplay loop and round style. It seemed like a good game honestly, but I will never choose a controller over a mouse for a shooter. I basically played it because one of my buddies got it and was excited to play something online, but he didn't have a gaming PC.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Perfect Dark also had the wildly unbalanced suitcase machine guns which made multiplayer either hilarious or frustrating. :laugh:

I don’t remember that one, but I used to love the laptop guns.

Throw that shit on the wall and get easy kills.

Was funny as hell.... unless it was me getting tore up.

I did, but not for very long. From what I remember it was basically the same game as Counterstrike, just 3rd person and on a console. Different maps and whatnot obviously, but the same gameplay loop and round style. It seemed like a good game honestly, but I will never choose a controller over a mouse for a shooter. I basically played it because one of my buddies got it and was excited to play something online, but he didn't have a gaming PC.

Ya my bro was like that back in the day, he would just play PC based shooters.

He did like Socom, but he never got into it like me.

However, he got us into the Socom 2 beta program to test for bugs and such. We got to play the beta version several months before the commercial release and offer our input.

It was a really cool experience.

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
EA NHL is so bad they are playing Fortnite :laugh: If that isn't a wake-up call I don't know what is.

Fortnite is a very fun game if you actually give it a chance and get semi good at it. Just because it looks cartoony and for kids, doesn't mean it's not a solid game.

It still plays better than most games, and is probably the most satisfying game to win. When I win a game of Fortnite I'm pretty pumped about it.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Fortnite is a very fun game if you actually give it a chance and get semi good at it. Just because it looks cartoony and for kids, doesn't mean it's not a solid game.

It still plays better than most games, and is probably the most satisfying game to win. When I win a game of Fortnite I'm pretty pumped about it.

Nah, the game is aids now. Too much stupid shit and doesn't play well. All these games feel like they need to add stupid shit to get more players. Rainbow 6 had a road map and it did the best imo but eventually it did become unplayable. Apex has done an okay job but I think the new update will kill the game. Fortnite was dead a few months after it dropped.

I think these games need to have modes or a separate game. Competitive then one where they want to add all the stupid shit and appease little kids. Like if I could go back to Season 2 of R6. I'd play it right now. That's when it played it's best imo and operators were balanced. Now there's too many and you have to spent an extra minute eliminating operators adding time to an already long game. Apex plays like crap after this new update.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I get the allure of the game, I can see why it's fun, but it's just too chaotic for me to ever really get into.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad