NHL fines the owners but NHLPA dont?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Madevilz, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Madevilz

Madevilz Registered User

Why should Bettman fine the owners for making "unsuitable" comments while players like Chelios can say anything without having the same sanction from Goodenow? :dunno:

2. djhn579

djhn579 Registered User

In general, the labor laws (in the US, at least) are written heavily in favor of unions and workers. People trying to organize a union can tell the potential union members just about anything without worrying about legal ramifications. If the management say anything about the union that can't be backed up with solid proof, the union can and will file for unfair labor practices. Once the union organizers inform the employer of their intention to have a vote, there are serious restrictions on what management can say about unions, especially if there are more than one potential union member present.

These are just a few of the things I remember from the several attempts our employees made to organize a union. Luckily for them, they were not successful. If they had been successful, we would have immediately tsken measures to automate many of our operations. The potential increase in salaries would have made the cost of automation much more reasonable.

Basically, what it comes down to is anything that is said by a member of the NHL management, that is not explicitly approved by the management, can result in legal problems (lawsuits and claims of unfair labor practices), but anything a player says will not result in legal problems for the players union. When looked at from this perspective, it is extremely important for management to control (and fine) people that say things that are not approved.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  3. Madevilz

Madevilz Registered User

thanks for the clarification :)

4. thinkwild

thinkwild Veni Vidi Toga

I dont think this has anything to do with the question. Bettman isnt doing anything unordinary. A single focal point for all communications reduces confusions and lessens the chance of cracks appearing in bargaining positions. Its just common sense. Both sides are doing this.

5. djhn579

djhn579 Registered User

If the official management line is that "we are trying to negotiate with the union in good faith, and have no plan at this time to use replacement players..." the union is going to use Belkins comments when the league does get around to declaring an impasse.

Do you think the NHLPA is not going to pull out a press clipping of these comments and say "See, according to this, the owners had every intention of declaring an impasse from the start so they could impose thier last offer. The NHL is responcible for the impasse, not us..."

Those comments will be used against the NHL later...

6. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    bettman issued the gag order cause he knows some owners don't agree with the lockout -

7. djhn579

djhn579 Registered User

Really? Do you have proof of this? Inquiring minds would like to see proof...

If anyone else out there has any experience with unionization drives where they work, could you give us some feedback on your experiences?

8. Motown Beatdown

Motown Beatdown Need a slump buster

Home Page:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6133021/

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3019376

9. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    i just told you to read the chelios link

10. djhn579

djhn579 Registered User

Yes the links show there is a gag order, but the authors are giving why they think there is a gag order.

As for the players being allowed to speak their minds, isn't it funny how any player that has made any comment that comes close to supporting a cap results in a "clarification" of the comments the next day? :dunno:

11. Motown Beatdown

Home Page:
    \

From Bettman himself....

http://www.cbc.ca/pcgi-bin/templates/sportsView.cgi?/news/2004/09/21/Sports/nhl040921

12. djhn579

djhn579 Registered User

Thanks. That changes that a little.

What I said above still applies, though. The union will use anything they can from any of the owners to try to show that the NHL is not negotiating in good faith.

If one owner was to come out and say another owner made money, but was claiming to lose money. That would be a serious blow to the NHL's case once they get to declaring an impasse.

13. thinkwild

thinkwild Veni Vidi Toga

Yes sure the players will try and use it against them. Just as the owners are trying to divide the players and crack them. This is why they have centrally focussed communication. It just makes sense.

14. djhn579

djhn579 Registered User

Interesting coincidence...

One mistake -- one little mistake by either side, one wrong card played -- can end up in defeat for either the players or the owners.

It will, almost certainly, come down to legal interpretations and judgments and every time an owner opens up his mouth, the way Atlanta Thrashers owner Steve Belkin did this week, the PA must be applauding in the background.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2004/10/15/670616.html

15. ceber

ceber Registered User

There's a gag order, for sure.

Which owners don't agree with the lockout?

16. Motown Beatdown

Home Page:

Probably the owners who actually know how to run their franchise and makes money. Right now they are losing money.

17. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers ordinary corrupt human love Sponsor

corporate drone
    Do you honestly think the Rangers lost money last year?

Yeah right. These "losses" are fudged beyond belief.

18. dawgbone

dawgbone Registered User

And not even all of them... because there are teams that make money, but at the same time do so while not being able to compete with the big spenders in the NHL, which means their on-ice product suffers greatly based on the bottom line.

I'd also wager a guess and say some of the more well off teams are supporting it as well.

Especially if we are talking about a number around 50% in revenue sharing and a payroll of aroune $40 mil or so.

19. Sanderson

Sanderson Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    None of the money-making owners made comments about this matter, so this is a mute point. You don't know what they really think.

Right now two owners have been fined and both were clearly on the leagues side.

20. ceber

ceber Registered User

It's good to speculate, for sure, but people are making it sound like there are specific owners who are on the record as not supporting the lockout. I'm assuming this would have come out prior to the lockout and the gag order. I haven't seen anything about this. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's true, because I find it hard to believe that all the owners agree on this. But, I haven't seen any proof, and I'm hoping someone has some to share. If it's just speculation, well then maybe they all do want the lockout... who knows?

21. Motown Beatdown

Home Page:

They might not like the lockout, but love the idea of 31 million dollar hard cap. Lets take the Wild or Leafs who we know for a fact make a ton of money. Especially Toronto will make a ton of money with a 31 million dollar cap, but under the old system they could make 20 million or so. So instead of making 20 million this year they are losing money.

No actually i dont.

22. dawgbone

dawgbone Registered User

I don't agree with your example (there won't be a $31mil cap), but I'll bite.

If the Leafs made $20 mil on a $60mil payroll, they'd make about $50 mil on a $31mil payroll.

So you are telling me, the Leafs wouldn't sacrifice losing 2 years (and $40mil), to start making $51mil/season?

You'd make it all back in the first season to begin with!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.