NHL files unfair labor practice against NHLPA to NLRB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
pjbth said:
That depends on if you support the players or owners.

The courts have a record of finding against big business and in favor of unions,(in Canada anyway)

Well, thats only 6 of the 24 teams. The U.S. courts would lean more towards the owners(than Canada would), how much I am not sure. My point is both sides are bluffing each other to their own death and the courts will move things at much more swift rate than what we have seen without the courts involved.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
Mat said:
to get the best financial deal possible for the players
and by rejecting all the owners have thrown his way so far at least shows hes sitll trying to reach his goal

bettman on the other hand has failed at growing the game, keeping the product exciting, losing sponsors, and he lost an entire seasons worth of revenue
if i were an owner id have fired him 6 years ago

Under exactly what financial model do the players get back the 1.5 Billion dollars?

Usually when you lose something you make it up with a larger cash flow.

Answer that or just stop wasting our time.

Here's a big clue for you...Goody already passed on the best deal he could have ever hoped to get.

That's reality and now he's simply in denial that he lost.

From here on out its only a matter of just how big that loss to the players bank accounts ends up being.

If you think Goody is doing his job by losing the players 1.5 Billion then I guess you can be allowed to say he's getting it done. I can't figure out though why somebody would pay someone else 3 million per year to lose 1.5 Billoin of their money though. Possibly it make makes sense to you in some way?

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Mat said:
if i were an owner id have fired (bettman) 6 years ago

Yes, and by the exact same token, if I were President of the USA, I'd invade Cuba.

Guys like you and me, Matty, guys like you and me.....

*WE* should be running the world.

*WE* have the insight, *WE* have the wisdom, *WE* are the true geniuses.

Those billionaires, those world leaders....

*THEY* should be the losers posting on hockey message boards in a hockeyless world.

:naughty:

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Icey said:
Just because schools are open and mailed get delivered does not mean Good Friday is not a big holiday. Don't know what religion you are, but it is the most religious holiday in the Catholic religion. It is a very big religious holiday, however state, federal and city offices are not allowed to observe religious holidays and that is why they are mostly all open. Public schools around me are all closed for spring break this entire week.

But the NHLPA looks more like the mafia every day.

I was just pointing out that it is not treated like it is in Canada where almost everything is closed. It is a huge holiday in Canada (whether you are Christian or not) but it is not treated like a sacred day as the poster was suggesting. Not saying it isn't an important day for most people but it is treated very differently between the U.S. and Canada...my daughter had school today and doesn't get spring break until next week.

The poster was saying that this was almost a sin that this occurred on Good Friday. I think that is a little over dramatic. It may have become public today but was filed earlier this week. Attacking the NHL because you are angry that this dispute isn't following your personal script is narrow minded and ignorant. Some people need to take a step back and not take this so personally. This is a business dispute and none of us are personally effected (unless some posters are players or owners) so the dramatics really should stop. I know it won't stop it but I was trying to point out that it wasn't as bad as Messenger was saying.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
ladybugblue said:
I was just pointing out that it is not treated like it is in Canada where almost everything is closed. It is a huge holiday in Canada (whether you are Christian or not) but it is not treated like a sacred day as the poster was suggesting. Not saying it isn't an important day for most people but it is treated very differently between the U.S. and Canada...my daughter had school today and doesn't get spring break until next week.

The poster was saying that this was almost a sin that this occurred on Good Friday. I think that is a little over dramatic. It may have become public today but was filed earlier this week. Attacking the NHL because you are angry that this dispute isn't following your personal script is narrow minded and ignorant. Some people need to take a step back and not take this so personally. This is a business dispute and none of us are personally effected (unless some posters are players or owners) so the dramatics really should stop. I know it won't stop it but I was trying to point out that it was as bad as Messenger was saying.
What a pile on Non Sense and over reaction you posted there ..

I typed these few words ...

"The timing of it coming out on Easter "Good Friday", perhaps the most important religious holiday can't get the NHL any favourable Fan support !!!"

and you needed 2 full paragraphs to get all that out of my one sentance ..I just pointed out that of all days to start Legal Action ..this would be considered offensive to many people because of the timing ..

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
mr gib said:
take your blinder's off

Your one to talk. :shakehead

Its about time the NHL started to take it to the NHLPA. I bet alot of players are happy that the NHL is filling a complaint about this particular issue. I dont think anyone likes to be strongarmed like the players are currently being. Bob has a reputation of intimidating his employees. At least thats what the media portrayed a few montsh ago.

As for bad timing on the NHL's part b/c of the NHLPA meetings. If the players are so proffesional this shouldn't affect a proposal b/c this is just business and nothing personal. Right??

Its funny how all the Pro-PA guys are grasping at straws big time in this thread. Kinda reminds me of those fans that make up all kinds of stupid excuses when there team is losing or just playing badly. Keep it up boys. You Pro-Pa guys keep it up b/c you make everyone else on this board look like geniuses. :lol :lol

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
The Messenger said:
What a pile on Non Sense and over reaction you posted there ..

I typed these few words ...

"The timing of it coming out on Easter "Good Friday", perhaps the most important religious holiday can't get the NHL any favourable Fan support !!!"

and you needed 2 full paragraphs to get all that out of my one sentance ..I just pointed out that of all days to start Legal Action ..this would be considered offensive to many people because of the timing ..

You may be offended because it came out today but don't generalize to everyone. I am not offended and I am sure others aren't either (some may be but not everyone). You are overly dramatic about everything on this issue. It is just a game and you really need to relax.

My point is that this will not hurt the NHL in "fan support" because the news report came out today. The NHL already has fan support and this will not hurt it. I know you don't side with the NHL but your comment about Good Friday don't jive with reality even if you don't like it...most fans side with the NHL.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Mr.Hunter74 said:

Its about time the NHL started to take it to the NHLPA. I bet alot of players are happy that the NHL is filling a complaint about this particular issue. I dont think anyone likes to be strongarmed like the players are currently being. Bob has a reputation of intimidating his employees. At least thats what the media portrayed a few montsh ago.

As for bad timing on the NHL's part b/c of the NHLPA meetings. If the players are so proffesional this shouldn't affect a proposal b/c this is just business and nothing personal. Right??

Its funny how all the Pro-PA guys are grasping at straws big time in this thread. Kinda reminds me of those fans that make up all kinds of stupid excuses when there team is losing or just playing badly. Keep it up boys. You Pro-Pa guys keep it up b/c you make everyone else on this board look like geniuses. :lol :lol
i'll give you some latitude on some issue's concerning bob - pebble beach - that's pretty bad pr wise - where is the league gonna be if you guys's hate the player's so much - the deal was there to make - do you realize that after july 1 - coupled with the 24 percent rollback - all the big bad spender's - will be under 45 mil - bettman want's to crush the very product - and his track record is absolutely sad - you owner dood's have to admit it - i don't believe bob and gary together can actually make a deal at all - binding arbitration is a must - this replacement thing - for **** sakes -

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
ladybugblue said:

There is this little law commonly referred to as seperation of church and state. If she goes to a public school she very well may have school, but if she was in private school she wouldn't.

I have lived in both the US and Canada and it really isn't much different, but just to make sure I wasn't remembering something wrong I called 5 of my cousins who live in different parts of Canada, they all worked today.

I live in the bible belt so perhaps religion is taken a bit more seriously here, then in California.

The poster was saying that this was almost a sin that this occurred on Good Friday. I think that is a little over dramatic. It may have become public today but was filed earlier this week. Attacking the NHL because you are angry that this dispute isn't following your personal script is narrow minded and ignorant. Some people need to take a step back and not take this so personally. This is a business dispute and none of us are personally effected (unless some posters are players or owners) so the dramatics really should stop. I know it won't stop it but I was trying to point out that it wasn't as bad as Messenger was saying.

In that case I hope you have stepped off your soapbox because as you have pointed out, it affects none of us so really no need to preach.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Mr.Hunter74 said:

Its about time the NHL started to take it to the NHLPA. I bet alot of players are happy that the NHL is filling a complaint about this particular issue.

Yea that was my point 3 pages ago, I am pro-pa, and you had no reply. It's a pretty clear attempt by the NHL to divide the PA, or at least see if it can be divided. As a fan I would rather see the NHL trying to get a deal done than trying to gain a small edge in court....considering any deal at this point is an overall victory for the owners and their precious franchise values anyway.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
mr gib said:
i'll give you some latitude on some issue's concerning bob - pebble beach - that's pretty bad pr wise - where is the league gonna be if you guys's hate the player's so much - the deal was there to make - do you realize that after july 1 - coupled with the 24 percent rollback - all the big bad spender's - will be under 45 mil - bettman want's to crush the very product - and his track record is absolutely sad - you owner dood's have to admit it - i don't believe bob and gary together can actually make a deal at all - binding arbitration is a must - this replacement thing - for **** sakes -

I don't think there are many posters here (including myself) who 'hate the players'. I think that most of us just want hockey back and the longer the dispute carries on the more we as fans tend to gravitate towards one side or the other as being most reasonable. I have no hatred for the very players I've always cheered for, and when they're back I'll be thrilled! Do you really think the NHL Commissioner wants to 'crush the product'??? What kind of sense does that make??? Mr Gib - if the PA offers were anywhere close to acceptable from the owners vantage point, there would be a deal in place right now. The owners have decided that the demands of the players are steep enough that they are better off cancelling this season, and maybe more, than they are accepting the terms. Does that not say anything to you??? You can't run a business without at least breaking even, and if the employees want so much in return for their services that your business can't (at least) break even, then you're better off not being open for business. No hatred here, just simple math and business sense. The NHL owners seem to have resigned themselves to the fact that the PA offer(s) will never be acceptable, and therefore are pursuing an alternate means to an end of re-opening their businesses. The owners are done waiting, what's wrong with that?? :dunno:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
8 - 10 owner's anyway - even calgary and edmonton made money last year - what the pa is offering is workable - it has been posted on this site - i respect your response - i have some more to say - let me ponder for a bit -

blamebettman*

I think the hard liners that are running this thing are having pressure put on them by the rest of the franchises. If this thing doesn't get settled soon then Goodenow WILL get the deal that he wants.

this is nothing more than a fake, a scare tactic that the players were warned about in there meetings probably. Bettman has tried to drive a wedge through the PA for months already and they've stood there ground.

Phanuthier*

blamebettman said:
I think the hard liners that are running this thing are having pressure put on them by the rest of the franchises. If this thing doesn't get settled soon then Goodenow WILL get the deal that he wants.
What makes you figure?

You ever try negotiating with a guy like Harley Hotchkiss?

BitterEnd

Dec 24, 2004
It's only workable if you cut out all of the underlying reasons that the original agreement didn't work. How much have salaries increased in the past 10 years. To say, if you deflate those salaries to the levels they were at 5 years ago is going to fix this, your sadly mistaken.

mr gib said:
8 - 10 owner's anyway - even calgary and edmonton made money last year - what the pa is offering is workable - it has been posted on this site - i respect your response - i have some more to say - let me ponder for a bit -

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
blamebettman said:
If this thing doesn't get settled soon then Goodenow WILL get the deal that he wants.

Care to elaborate on that? Just how is Goodenow going to accomplish this? And what is the deal he wants that he will supposedly get - his last offer??

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
blamebettman said:

this is nothing more than a fake, a scare tactic that the players were warned about in there meetings probably. Bettman has tried to drive a wedge through the PA for months already and they've stood there ground.

If this thing doesn't get settled soon, Goodenow will never have a deal. Either the NHL will be dead or either the players will have to settle for the imposed CBA. All that after flushing down $1.5B. Brilliant.

blamebettman*

honestly, you really think that's goodenows last offer, going by his track record, why would you bet against Goodenow?

simply put, the rest of the teams will sour on Bettman. Remember, Bettman promised them all "XYZ", so when Bettman does not deliver, when he doesn't break the NHLPA, the rest of the teams say enough, and they'll settle for a rollback and a soft cap around 47 mil probably.

Bettman and his groups pretty much promised them the complete destruction of the NHLPA, and it sounded pretty enticing, but it's also becoming clear that it will never happen, that the players have held out much longer than anybody expected. Underestimating Goodenow again was the NHL's biggest mistake.

that's why the NHL is running around like chickens with there head cut off not knowing what the heck to do, they didn't expect to even be in this situation.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
blamebettman said:
honestly, you really think that's goodenows last offer, going by his track record, why would you bet against Goodenow?

simply put, the rest of the teams will sour on Bettman. Remember, Bettman promised them all "XYZ", so when Bettman does not deliver, when he doesn't break the NHLPA, the rest of the teams say enough, and they'll settle for a rollback and a soft cap around 47 mil probably.

Bettman and his groups pretty much promised them the complete destruction of the NHLPA, and it sounded pretty enticing, but it's also becoming clear that it will never happen, that the players have held out much longer than anybody expected. Underestimating Goodenow again was the NHL's biggest mistake.

that's why the NHL is running around like chickens with there head cut off not knowing what the heck to do, they didn't expect to even be in this situation.

And who might be your source about Bettman's promise? As well, isn't the surprise how long the owners have toughed out the lockout? Thus far, it looks more like Goodenow (and the player execs) underestimated what the NHL was willing to do to fix itself, much more than the other way around.

As to the NHL's actions, I think it's concise and actually looks planned. On the other hand, the NHLPA has looked like amateurs so far. Having a "secret plan" that only unfolds after you've lost $1.3B doesn't really look serious.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
blamebettman said:

Head in sand dude, head in the sand... :shakehead

Early on I never would have thought this situation would get to where it is, and I guess I thought the owners would ultimately give in. However, with the way this has played I've completely changed my thoughts on that, and now I am so convinced of the owner's resolve now that I just can't understand how you can have that opinion. If anyone has appeared as headless chickens through this process it's been the PA - the ownership side has not shown even a crack in their resolve, at least not to the public, unlike the PA. :dunno:

That's why I think you have your head in the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->