NHL files unfair labor practice against NHLPA to NLRB

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
What idiots ther Owners are...at least wait to see what the NHLPA has to say after that 3 day meeting they held. a The NHLPA might have had some sort a compromise they were going to bring up or something but why the hell should they do any favors now for the NHL? The NHL is a disgrace and is destroying the league. Please BETTMAN MUST GO..yes Goodenow also.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's strange. I'd think the league would have a better case on the agent thing.

There's probably an argument around it, but it seems to me that if a player crosses a line next season he is no longer locked out and therefore shouldn't get a lockout payment. (I don't see this as much of a threat anyway. If it's 10K/month, a player would make more playing anyway.)

labatt50

Feb 26, 2005
FLYLine4LIFE said:
What idiots ther Owners are...at least wait to see what the NHLPA has to say after that 3 day meeting they held. a The NHLPA might have had some sort a compromise they were going to bring up or something but why the hell should they do any favors now for the NHL? The NHL is a disgrace and is destroying the league. Please BETTMAN MUST GO..yes Goodenow also.

It's not the owners that are the idiots...the NHLPA will not be doing the NHL any favors by coming to the table with a counter proposal..that is what they are supposed to do. But apparently they don't know that, because it is not what they have been doing up to now.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IMO, both grievances are a form of blackmail by the NHLPA & should be clarified as to their legalities. If they're ruled to be invalid and Lemieux ends up crossing like he said he would, I think it'll take one more name guy be it Roenick, Modano, Chelios, whoever, and the floodgates will open.....

What ever happened to the grievance Rob Ray filed? Did he get his lockout pay in the end??

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
labatt50 said:

It's not the owners that are the idiots...the NHLPA will not be doing the NHL any favors by coming to the table with a counter proposal..that is what they are supposed to do. But apparently they don't know that, because it is not what they have been doing up to now.

The NHLPA just wrapped up a 3 day meeting...they NHL didnt even wait to see what they came up with. There out for destroying the NHLPa..nothing more. After they do that then they will have there first goal on bringing back the NHL.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
dedalus said:
That's strange. I'd think the league would have a better case on the agent thing.

There's probably an argument around it, but it seems to me that if a player crosses a line next season he is no longer locked out and therefore shouldn't get a lockout payment. (I don't see this as much of a threat anyway. If it's 10K/month, a player would make more playing anyway.)

This is about the money the players are currently receiving and having to pay it back if they crossed not about the money they wouldn't receive if they do decide to cross. This could be significant because we are talking about 9 months or so at 10,000 a month times how many players decide to cross...

Munchausen

And the ugly juridic mess has officially begun. One side will be left standing at the end of all this while the other will end up completely naked and humiliated.

All this shows to me is both sides are thinking about replacement hockey more than a negotiated solution right now.

Both practices denounced by the league however do appear like unfair labor practices. They are both obvious threats to scare the players out of crossing the picket line.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Munchausen said:
And the ugly juridic mess has officially begun. One side will be left standing at the end of all this while the other will end up completely naked and humiliated.

All this shows to me is both sides are thinking about replacement hockey more than a negotiated solution right now.

Both practices denounced by the league however do appear like unfair labor practices. They are both obvious threats to scare the players out of crossing the picket line.

I don't see this as a threat to the players. To the NHLPA yes, but not really to the players. If anything this would make it easier for them to cross if they have the desire too.

edit: my bad just reread your post. You meant NHLPA practices scaring the players, does anyone see anything wrong with this? Having to scare your own membership...

Munchausen

Yeah this is what I meant. And yes, it is wrong to threaten your union members, but it isn't anything new, the multiple "misquoted" comments probably came with some hand slapping, and I figure there might be the same tactics used on the owners' side as well. It's just that the PA has been exposed first and might end up paying dearly for it.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Smart move by the NHL. If they get a ruling against the NHLPA, that's strike one already against the NHLPA contesting a possible future impasse. As well, it bolsters their position that if they don't get an agreement with the NHLPA they are going with replacement players, putting further pressure on the players.

As to waiting for the NHLPA again, I think it's now too late for that. The NHLPA had many chances to settle this so far and they've shown a reluctance to. The NHL must now move on with or without the NHLPA's consent.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
if the NHL wins this ruling & the agents ruling, i'm pretty sure they'd go ahead with impasse because it would be almost certain they'd win that battle if they win the first 2 (which are less likely)

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
FLYLine4LIFE said:
The NHLPA just wrapped up a 3 day meeting...they NHL didnt even wait to see what they came up with. There out for destroying the NHLPa..nothing more. After they do that then they will have there first goal on bringing back the NHL.

fine with me :dunno:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
FLYLine4LIFE said:
sounds like a fair trade... NHLPA murdered the season

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
bcrt2000 said:
if the NHL wins this ruling & the agents ruling, i'm pretty sure they'd go ahead with impasse because it would be almost certain they'd win that battle if they win the first 2 (which are less likely)

There's practically no correlation between the two at all.

Mat

FLYLine4LIFE said:

well goodnows just doing his job
bettman on the other hand is failing miserably

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
bcrt2000 said:

How do the two relate? If the NHLPA is found to have committed an unfair labor practice, the NHL is not absloved from any they've committed, or will commit.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I do not know if asking back the lockout compensation is an illegal labor practice. It very well could be. But there is one major snag to the NHL's position at this time. The NHLPA players are currently locked out. They can only be replacement players when and if the impasse is declared. So if asking for the money back is illegal by itself, IMO they would first to have a situation under which it is possible, and then actually *do it*. To put it short, saying that they might resort to unfair labor practices in the future IMO is not an unfair labor practice in itself. Otherwise NHLPA would have just as ridiculous case against the NHL with their idea of salary selective lockout. But I would like to hear what somebody with a bit of the labor law background thinks about it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Munchausen said:

But by the nature of a strike .. You are not really suppose to cross a Picket line .. The Picket line is in place because your Union is fighting for you ..

The strange part on my thinking is WHO is filing ... I could see a player filing it against his Union ie Rob Ray did by not receiving Lockout pay .. but this is the NHL filing a grievance on behalf of players that they are locking out currently forcing them to accept this pay in the first place ..

The NHL is looking after the owners, why would it file on behalf of the players is the strange part .. ?? What if the player himself decides he should repay the money?? What if no player crosses ??

Also .. the timing is strange ... Right now its just talk .. No player can cross so should this not be a possible issue down the road when valid .. ?? How can you file Unfair labour practices for something that hasn't happened or can't happen currently??

Last edited:

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Epsilon said:
There's practically no correlation between the two at all.

hockeytown9321 said:
How do the two relate? If the NHLPA is found to have committed an unfair labor practice, the NHL is not absloved from any they've committed, or will commit.

these unfair labor practice charges are MUCH less likely to go in favour of the NHL than if the NHL goes to impasse which means its really a gauge of where the NLRB stands in relation to the NHL.

it would mean the NLRB favours the NHL (if they favour the NHL in the unfair labor accusations).

i thought you guys would be able to spell it out yourself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->