NHL Fans Will Experience A Whole New Game On OLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Trizent said:
I hear what you are saying. But, TSN will pay far less for rights not involving Canadian teams.

But the Leafs will get money for local rights if TSN and HNIC don't show the Leafs Nationaly....

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I'm personally much more interested in Rangers vs. Flyers than Leafs vs. Senators: Rangers led by Jagr coming off his monster season during the lockout vs. one of the league's top teams sporting a new lineup with one of the game's top stars, or a declining old Leas team vs. a Senators team with nothing new that we've seen play many times. That's an easy decision for Comcast to me.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
iagreewithidiots said:
Home, road, who cares. The NHL needs to play this guy up.

Being on Leno more people in America know who Crosby is then who Forsberg is.

I'd say you greatly overestimate Jay Leno's reach, and how much people remember/care about his secondary guests. I can't even tell you who was on last week.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
David Puddy said:
The Devils always sellout opening night. Thought it is usually the occassion of a banner raising. You wouldn't know anything about that in Philadelphia unless your an oldtimer listening to Led Zepplin remember the glorious times over 30 years ago!

Man, I hate Led Zepplin.

David Puddy said:
Also, I hope Joannie keeps his head up this. I wouldn't want his career to go the way of Lindros in the 2000 ECF.

Who is Joannie?

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
iagreewithidiots said:
Home, road, who cares. The NHL needs to play this guy up.

Being on Leno more people in America know who Crosby is then who Forsberg is.

I completely disagree.

Folks, the kid has yet to play a single professional game. You play with fire, you're asking to get burned.

Could we please let him play before we crown him king? I am seriously going to feel bad for this kid if he can't live up to the hype because fans have been far too quick to call him heir to a throne, which, no matter how awesome he is will STILL be a long, hard road to best. I am of course talking about Crosby surpassing Wayne Gretzky.

Besides, this is exactly the type of situation which has lead to such annoyances as Jeremy Roenick being mic'd for every nationally televised game, for high school basketballers having their games shown on PPV, and for Michael Jordan's third retirement game preempting an NHL playoff game (no, I will never get past that).

Crosby's hype? I blame ESPN The Magazine.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
David Puddy said:
Pardon!

Sidney Crosby making his NHL debut against Martin Brodeur and the Devils. Mario and Mogilny will also be there. That's really a worse matchup than the Flyers taking on a team that hasn't made the playoffs since spring 1997 and is weaker going into the season than they have been in a period longer than that.

No, it's only his NHL debut. That's not an important game.
The people that have heard of Crosby will probably watch any game, the people that havent heard of Crosby (the ones the station will need to attract) wont be bothered about watching one of the most boring teams in the league playing what used to be a really bad team.

Castor Troy

Sep 25, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
PitkanenPower said:
Man, I hate Led Zepplin.

Led Who? :biglaugh:

Anyways, I think your reasoning is fine Egil, but the problem with that type of scenario is that Comcast/Local Broadcasters most likely will not have the good of the NHL taking priority over their own ratings. Sure, somewhere down the line it'll benefit them by attracting more fans and increasing ratings for everybody but I see that as a hard sell to TV execs. The NHL looks like its on the way up but its not going to be easy and its far from a sure thing at this point. If Comcast was doing all the local broadcasts, as well as the national one, then I think it would be much more likely.

And I agree, Leafs vs. Sens is much more interesting based on the rivalry alone. I understand that Philly/NYR may have a rivalry of sorts based on geographics, but come on... how intense can it be with the way the Rangers have played most of the last decade. On the other hand, we have two teams that have faced each other in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years. Not even close in my mind.

Prince Mercury

Apr 7, 2004
Fort McMurray
I'm just impressed with the streaming broadcasts... maybe this will spur NHL.com to get off it's ass and really step it up, look at NHL.com and then look at what MLB.com is doing (and making a ton of money too).

two out of three*

Montrealer said:
I love how some of the fans here find something negative in everything and then whine incessently about it for hours.

Super!

Exactly.. This is a good deal for the NHL. We wanted out of ESPN, and we are out. Thats what this thread should be about. All I know is I am excited I get to watch the NHL on a network that (seemingly) gives a crap about the NHL.

Who cares WHO plays? At least we are PLAYING.

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
ArtG said:
No. The Canadian OLN is not owned by Comcast. It is owned by Bell Globemedia (aka the company that owns TSN).
damnit! i guess it is HNIC and TSN and Sportsnet for me

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
iagreewithidiots said:
Me too those guys are god awful.

Nope, hes french canadian and led the Q in scoring. Who needs ESPN when you do that.
crosby is not french canadian, he is from Nova Scotia, he just played in Quebec

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
iagreewithidiots said:
Me too those guys are god awful.

Queen = greatest band EVER.

iagreewithidiots said:
Nope, hes french canadian and led the Q in scoring. Who needs ESPN when you do that.

Well I was referring to the article they wrote on Crosby last year. I honestly think that's where most (non-die-hard-hockey) people heard about him. I mean, when my cousin - who despises hockey, and coincidentaly subscribes to ESPN the Magazine - tries to get all smart-like and tell me about how there's "this guy no one knows about who is going to be better than Gretzky," then we have a red flag.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Comcast owns the Flyers in some way.

In any case, showing a local Philly/NYR game and a national Toronto Ottawa game only has better ratings if you make the assumption that there are no fans of Philly/NYR outside the local coverage. Or at the very least less fans than Toronto/Ottawa has across the nation.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
eaton28 said:
crosby is not french canadian, he is from Nova Scotia, he just played in Quebec
You are correct sir. Between the way he speaks french and all the Montreal fans saying he will be "coming home" in 7 years I got all mixed up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
alanschu said:
I think Comcast owns the Flyers in some way.

In any case, showing a local Philly/NYR game and a national Toronto Ottawa game only has better ratings if you make the assumption that there are no fans of Philly/NYR outside the local coverage. Or at the very least less fans than Toronto/Ottawa has across the nation.

no, no.

Comcast OWNS the Flyers...not in just some way.

Toronto/Ottawa fans across America...

..in which there isn't any. They're all in Canada.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I knew Comcast was involved in some way. Didn't want to fully commit to total ownage without being certain though. And besides, totally ownage is still owning it "in some way." ;)

And if what you say about Toronto/Ottawa fans is true, then ratings for a complete National game of Flyers/Rangers would indeed result in greater ratings than local Flyers/Rangers with National Leafs/Senators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad