NHL Fans Will Experience A Whole New Game On OLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Under the terms of the multi-year agreement, OLN will televise at least 58 regular-season games. These games will air consistently on Monday and Tuesday nights and be exclusive to the network. OLN will carry the NHL All-Star Game exclusively in the US and will provide wall-to-wall coverage throughout the Stanley Cup Playoffs, including exclusive Conference Final action and the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final. OLN will kick off NHL coverage beginning with the Rangers-Flyers match-up October 5, the first day of the new season.

http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/1215/?tf=OLNPressCenter_articles.tpl&UserDef=true

Front page of www.olntv.com has changed as well.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And HDTV is apparantly part of the agreement, among other new promotions (such as online streaming) of the game. From the article:

The partnership between OLN, Comcast and the NHL will redefine the sport for hockey viewers. More action on video on demand (VOD), in HDTV and online will create an experience like never before, including:
• VOD game highlights and library footage of hockey’s greatest moments with full fast-forward, rewind and replay capability;
• HDTV game coverage in a crisper, faster-moving, more exciting game for hockey fans every week;
• Online streaming of two live games per night (subject to local blackout), broadband highlights, commentary, and library footage;
• Round-the-clock coverage on the NHL Network, to be launched in the US in the future; and
• Comcast will have the ability to carry and/or syndicate additional games on Comcast’s regional sports networks where it has the consent of the local team and team’s rights holder.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Gnashville said:
Looks good as long as they don't show Detriot, Philly, NYR, and Colorado 50+ times and actully show ALL OF THE TEAMS not just the same 4 teams over and over and over and over and over and over and over again

that said, what's getting televised nationally on opening night?

rangers v. philly

:shakehead

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Jaded-Fan said:
• Online streaming of two live games per night (subject to local blackout), broadband highlights, commentary, and library footage;

Wow, that sounds great to me. I'd assume that would be one east and one west conference game a night. So, assuming that the eastern game starts at the earliest possible time with regards to timezones, that would be a 7pm ET start, which would be midnight over here. allow three hours for game and highlights, west conference game would start at 10pm ET or 3am here. Allow 3 hours for this game and highlights and an extra quarter of an hour to fall asleep, which leaves 1 1/2 hours sleep a night before having to get up for work.

I shall now predict that from October onwards, my boss will notice a decrease in the quality of my work :teach:

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
skk_82 said:

rangers v. philly

Its just a shame I wont get to see it, Im sure Ill get the feed for HNIC if they are going to do that.

Can any Candians confirm if theres going to be a HNIC on the 1st day of the season?

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Here's Hoping

All I want out of this contract is that Bettman took something from his NBA days:

WAY back in 8th Grade -- when I played basketball, I actually watched the NBA (and haven't since). Anyway, the TV contract with TNT stipulated that EVERY team had to televised at least twice a year (Home & Away).

Yeah, a couple Carolina @ Columbus games might not be the best marquee game out there, bu the league needs to show all 30 teams. Heck, the NBC contract looks like it's just a rehash of the Fox-ESPN-ABC Good Ol' Boys Club.

We'll see how it goes. Monday Night Hockey and a Tuesday Double Header. I hope they go wall-to-wall, double header nightly for the playoffs, too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
skk_82 said:

rangers v. philly

I know I'm a Flyers fan, but that is probably the most intreguing matchup on opening night. I know Crosby's first game is too, but it isn't at home, its in New Jersey, the NHL goofed on that one.

OLN has to make sure their best matchup is put on because this is the one that will bring in the most ratings. The Rangers and Flyers will bring in more national viewers than the Canucks and Coyotes.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Steve L said:
Its just a shame I wont get to see it, Im sure Ill get the feed for HNIC if they are going to do that.

Can any Candians confirm if theres going to be a HNIC on the 1st day of the season?

HNIC is showing Ottawa-Toronto followed by a west coast game.

Original6

Egil said:
HNIC is showing Ottawa-Toronto followed by a west coast game.

I think sportsnet is showing the first game of the season. I've seen that Ad that says "Hockey that matters is returning this fall" Followed by OCT 5th Leafs vs Sens.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
I know I'm a Flyers fan, but that is probably the most intreguing matchup on opening night. I know Crosby's first game is too, but it isn't at home, its in New Jersey, the NHL goofed on that one.

OLN has to make sure their best matchup is put on because this is the one that will bring in the most ratings. The Rangers and Flyers will bring in more national viewers than the Canucks and Coyotes.

Ottawa - Toronto is the best matchup of the night, not Flyers - Rangers. Not that I would expect OLN to show a game between 2 Canadian teams though, that just wouldn't be right (though what a refreshing change it would be).

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
When was the schedule released?

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site

As a Flyers fan, I dont want OLN showing Flyers games. Why would you want the National broadcast to be your home team when you can get those games on your local sports network? If I get Center Ice it will all be moot though.

And getting national viewership should be about watching the most exciting hockey, which is exactly what you would be getting from teams like Vancouver and Pittsburgh. I really couldnt care less about watching the Rangers, and probably a large majority of hockey fans who will be tuning in from places other than NYC will agree.

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
Not surprisingly, they picked teams from two of the largest US hockey markets. I wish they had chosen Pitt's game too, but realistically, I will have to Tivo it anyway since I will be at Stars/Kings.

dwkdnvr

Mar 10, 2004

That's part of it, but I'm willing to bet that this was one of the few games that they knew they could guarantee HD coverage for. Getting the first game of the year out in 'national' HD coverage would strike me as an important goal from a marketing standpoint.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
SkateLikeTheWind said:
Bottom line the Pens opening night game would draw the most viewers. Wake up OLN.

I have a feeling its either because comcast loves the flyers or comcast is excited about forsberg, or rangers still draw a big national audience

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH

You'd be right if the Rangers didn't suck so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad