NHL Eying 4 Cities To Resume Play In? Edmonton? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you're not concerned that's good. I have a different view.

You've mentioned trusting the government and science in other threads. IMO by most reports Alberta has done very well containing this virus outside of a few exceptions. I suspect that Hinshaw (who sounds like she has done a very good job for Albertan's) will do what is best for the people of Alberta. I understand your concern and it is a legit one, but as long as quarantines are adhered to and once they are done players are treated like any other Albertan, things should work out pretty well with just a few hurdles here and there IMO. The best things for those that are concerned can do are to wear masks, keep up with social distancing and practice good hygiene as the virus is still being transmitted almost worldwide. Ultimately people world wide will do goofy things so we have to be prepared to protect ourselves and families as best we can because it only takes one idiot to get us sick.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
You've mentioned trusting the government and science in other threads. IMO by most reports Alberta has done very well containing this virus outside of a few exceptions. I suspect that Hinshaw (who sounds like she has done a very good job for Albertan's) will do what is best for the people of Alberta. I understand your concern and it is a legit one, but as long as quarantines are adhered to and once they are done players are treated like any other Albertan, things should work out pretty well with just a few hurdles here and there IMO. The best things for those that are concerned can do are to wear masks, keep up with social distancing and practice good hygiene as the virus is still being transmitted almost worldwide. Ultimately people world wide will do goofy things so we have to be prepared to protect ourselves and families as best we can because it only takes one idiot to get us sick.

Edmonton seems like a very logical spot, as does Vancouver, doesn't really matter where you're playing, there are no fans and home ice really means nothing, the East coast seems to have the worst of the Outbreaks so why not just have it in the safest environment with the lowest cases. If there's a 14-day quarantine, which there should be anywhere they go, then it wouldn't matter. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL go with US cities just to avoid the safety measures, which is a dumb idea. I guess we'll see.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Edmonton seems like a very logical spot, as does Vancouver, doesn't really matter where you're playing, there are no fans and home ice really means nothing, the East coast seems to have the worst of the Outbreaks so why not just have it in the safest environment with the lowest cases. If there's a 14-day quarantine, which there should be anywhere they go, then it wouldn't matter. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL go with US cities just to avoid the safety measures, which is a dumb idea. I guess we'll see.

IMO Edmonton and Vancouver make the most sense if you are looking at safety first and foremost. IMO it's an open and shut case. a bunch of 20 somethings that have been cooped up for months in a place like Vegas sounds like a bad idea to me. Ultimately the players and Commissioner need to agree. If the players are going to be vain and crap on a place like Edmonton in favor of a more glamorous but dangerous location then I don't want to hear moaning if things get shut down.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Ok, fair enough about Edmonton not exactly being a tourist destination, but I got to think Vancouver has got to be a decent place for those looking for the amenities of a “world class city”

Reactions: KYams17

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I hope I am not shooting myself or my friends in the foot by saying but me and 2 others have been working out in our home gym in the garage and we just make sure to wash our hands after the workouts, drink from our own water bottles, etc and we have been fine. Not to be a full on conspiracist, but I feel like this virus is getting hyped up to be more dangerous than it is in reality

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
IMO Edmonton and Vancouver make the most sense if you are looking at safety first and foremost. IMO it's an open and shut case. a bunch of 20 somethings that have been cooped up for months in a place like Vegas sounds like a bad idea to me. Ultimately the players and Commissioner need to agree. If the players are going to be vain and crap on a place like Edmonton in favor of a more glamorous but dangerous location then I don't want to hear moaning if things get shut down.

It should be held in Winnipeg then. MB has the lowest cases amongst the Canadian NHL provinces.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
It should be held in Winnipeg then. MB has the lowest cases amongst the Canadian NHL provinces.

Trouble with them is the hotels and infrastructure to support that many teams.
They would have to truck in a rig camp made of ATCO trailers and build a makeshift airport in a farmer's field to support that many teams.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
City of Edmonton has decided to let their state of local emergency lapse. Hope this means the players are allowed to use Rogers or the Community Arena.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
City of Edmonton has decided to let their state of local emergency lapse. Hope this means the players are allowed to use Rogers or the Community Arena.

That would be good with the NHL's Phase 2 beginning Monday allowing up to 6 players on ice at a time. Currently arenas aren't scheduled to open until Alberta's Stage 3 though, and Stage 2 isn't planned to start currently until June 19th.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/deena-hinshaw-covid-19-coronavirus-1.5596709

Not sure about the technicalities but NHL players gathering on Rogers Place ice are essentially a private work gathering where employees would be adhering to proper social distancing safety protocols, just on the ice instead of in an office for example. It's not like it's a public rec center or arena opening, it's essentially in this circumstance being used as a private training facility.

How many Oilers players are actually in Edmonton right now that would potentially be getting on the ice if it is allowed?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Edmonton up to 56 active cases today, was down to about 41 cases at some point last week I think.

To be expected with reopening, and I think a lot of the new cases are due to the family outbreaks. Seems like they're in Rutherford/Mill Woods. There is also a cluster in Jasper Gates. Good news is that the 16 or so active cases that were in the North side last week are down to about 4 cases now.

If we can keep our active cases around 50 we'll be in good shape for whatever things we want to do in terms of hosting games, etc.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Edmonton up to 56 active cases today, was down to about 41 cases at some point last week I think.

To be expected with reopening, and I think a lot of the new cases are due to the family outbreaks. Seems like they're in Rutherford/Mill Woods. There is also a cluster in Jasper Gates. Good news is that the 16 or so active cases that were in the North side last week are down to about 4 cases now.

If we can keep our active cases around 50 we'll be in good shape for whatever things we want to do in terms of hosting games, etc.
Yeh, EDM had one bad day yesterday jumping from mid 40s to mid 50s in a day. Today has been a great day for Alberta.

Reactions: Duke74

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Inuvik NWT. They could play outdoors and call it the stanley cup classic.

Sleep in individual igloos too. Ron maclean can be the house keeper who turns in players that cough.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Or the team with fewer points has to beat the team with more points twice, both games (if required) in the rink of the team with more points. If the team with more points wins the first game, series is over.
I kinda love this idea. Forcing the lower team to win two games makes it so the regular season isn’t completely a wash. With the regular season usually ending on a Saturday night they could hold these games on the Monday-Thursday and then have the actual playoffs start the following weekend. The wildcard games in baseball build up so much hype I imagine this would have the same effect.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
That would be good with the NHL's Phase 2 beginning Monday allowing up to 6 players on ice at a time. Currently arenas aren't scheduled to open until Alberta's Stage 3 though, and Stage 2 isn't planned to start currently until June 19th.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/deena-hinshaw-covid-19-coronavirus-1.5596709

Not sure about the technicalities but NHL players gathering on Rogers Place ice are essentially a private work gathering where employees would be adhering to proper social distancing safety protocols, just on the ice instead of in an office for example. It's not like it's a public rec center or arena opening, it's essentially in this circumstance being used as a private training facility.

How many Oilers players are actually in Edmonton right now that would potentially be getting on the ice if it is allowed?
I think we’re gonna see some kind of announcement about this soon, from what I’ve heard River Cree is planning to open up their rinks for small practice groups sometime next week.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

We have 10 active cases still from May 31 and 10 from May 29, so those are the two big days. Average per day for the last week (excluding May 31) has been about 5 a day. Interesting there is still one from Apr 28 shown as active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad