NHL Expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
futurcorerock said:
I haven't heard any rumors about the nordiques coming back. This isnt Quebec City hearsay, is it?

The first two cities to get NHL franchises if a team ever moves or there is (god forbid) more expansion would be Kansas City, as they have been looking to build a new arena with an NHL or NBA franchise, and Houston which looks to be capable of hosting its own franchise with it's success with the Aeros.

Not sure about Houston being able to support a franchise... I, like many here who go to Aeros games regularly, are displaced northerners (including many Canucks) with ties to other teams. Would I go, sure. Would I go as often as I do to Aeros games... not a chance.

That being said, Houston does have an excellent hockey environment with many rinks and leagues for all ages/levels. Not something I expected.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
txpd said:
also...when did anyone outside of edmonton and calgary give a crap about going to see Winnepeg when they came to town anymore than they do about seeing the Coyotes?

Vancouver had a fairly heavy rivalry with the Jets. I used to like those games a lot.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
futurcorerock said:
Easy killer,

the amount of teams in the league could have a minor level of bearing on the NHL, actually. If there are 30 healthy franchises with AHL teams selling out consistently in other cities, there's no reason to halt expansion if theres that level of interest for hockey in other markets.

Granted, we have to get to that one statement "30 healthy franchises" Right now a few franchises are barely out of the hospital, while others are a foot in the grave.

of course i would say to keep expanding if all 30 are very healthy and all there ahl teams are selling out games...doubt that would happen tho IMO

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
nyrmessier011 said:
of course i would say to keep expanding if all 30 are very healthy and all there ahl teams are selling out games...doubt that would happen tho IMO
Next CBA's going to answer that question... proving the point that NHL expansion is still a long ways away. We dont even have the framework for a viable league and we're talking Winnie and QBC already!

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
futurcorerock said:
Next CBA's going to answer that question... proving the point that NHL expansion is still a long ways away. We dont even have the framework for a viable league and we're talking Winnie and QBC already!

revenue sharing, revenue sharing, revenue sharing........revenue sharing...they have the hard cap high 30's or low 40's, if they add rev sharing to that, 30 teams are healthy

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
nyrmessier011 said:
revenue sharing, revenue sharing, revenue sharing........revenue sharing...they have the hard cap high 30's or low 40's, if they add rev sharing to that, 30 teams are healthy
I agree.... buuuuuut, to this exact moment, there is no deal. Let's take step one before we leap to step four

Matt Foley*

jaws said:
As for the info I got for the three teams being on the bubble, I got that from a former Sens marketing guy.

With info like that, he's probably a former Sens marketing guy for legitimate reasons. ;)

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
westcoast said:
Vancouver had a fairly heavy rivalry with the Jets. I used to like those games a lot.

Well yeah, because they were practically the only team we can beat in the playoffs.
Gotta love guaranteed win night! :biglaugh:

jaws

Mar 12, 2005
Stittsvegas
futurcorerock said:
...As for Minnesota, I called them earlier today and they said that they have a team. :dunno:

Thanks for the update. I mentioned them in with Winnipeg and Quebec because they too were getting good crowds, yet moved as well. In fact, out of the three teams, the lowest average attendence a team got in one year was Winnipeg at 74% capacity. Other than that year, all three averaged in the 80-100% capacity range. You could also add the Cleveland Browns and if you wanna go way back, Brooklyn Dodgers, as examples of teams moving that still had good crowds.

You are correct though, the buildings they were in played a big role in them moving, as even with good crowds, the max was 15 000. Still, I don't think they moved/sold because they were in dire straits. If they were, why would someone want to own a team and move to Arizona? or Dallas, both unproven markets at the time and Colorado already had a team and couldn't handle'em then, so why go back? Seems to me if they really wanted a safe haven for these teams, they would have chosen safer places for them. I know it means nothing to the owner who sold them, but you still gotta wonder what the new owners were thinking at that time.

Again, I too am doubtful that Columbus will move, but just because they get good crowds doesn't mean they're safe, especially if the owner thinks he can make more money by moving the team somewhere else.

As for the guy who pointed out the link is broken, thanks...hence I said it was broken, but figured I'd post it anyway just in case it went back online, as they said the link got lost in the update. Have no fear though, I found another.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/business/9217014.htm
http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/attdb_e.htm

Last edited:

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
The story going around in the province of Quebec is that previous part-owner Marcel Aubut (the one who sold the team in the first place) has identified the next few years as a suitable time to revive the Nords. The logic being that Quebec City will celebrate its 400th birthday in 2008 and will probably revamp its image for the occasion. That could mean revamping facilities to attract concerts, sports...etc. A new arena could easily be built for that occasion and Marcel Aubut says he would be interested in investing in an NHL franchise for the city.

On top of that the opposition mayor has said that if elected he would put Quebec City back on the map, municipal financing and tax credits would make an arena a lot easier, Winnipeg's arena was built with only $150M in private funds according to Aubut.

jacketracket*

jaws said:
Again, I too am doubtful that Columbus will move, but just because they get good crowds doesn't mean they're safe, especially if the owner thinks he can make more money by moving the team somewhere else.
... which must have been what the former CBJ marketing guy meant when he told me that Ottawa might be on the move.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Just for the heck of it: Heres a 32 team league we might see in the next 10 years if, for some reason, expansion does happen and roster sizes go down to 20 (probably will never happen)... just remember... im being theoretical here, So dont shoot me :)

northwest
vancouver canucks
calgary flames
edmonton oilers
winnipeg jets

northeast
toronto mapleleafs
ottawa senators
montreal canadiens
quebec nordiques

atlantic
boston bruins
new york rangers
new york islanders
new jersey devils

mideast
philadelphia flyers
columbus bluejackets
buffalo sabres
cleveland ice dogs

midwest
detroit redwings
chicago blackhawks
milwaukee chiefs
minnesota wild

southeast
kansas city scouts
st. louis blues
atlanta thrashers
tampa bay lightning

southwest
dallas stars
colorado avalanche
utah saints
phoenix coyotes

pacific
san jose sharks
los angeles kings
portland mighty ducks
seattle eagles

SedinFan*

raketheleaves said:
If there is a salary cap....rumors have been circulating about the return of the Nordiques....

Winnipeg would likely get their team back as well dontcha think?

I'd like to see them expand into new markets with a cap, cut the roster size, reduce the amount of games and focus on regional rivalries again.

When Phoenix comes to Montreal, it's like a fly in your soup...I wanna see the Leafs or the Bruins, or the NORDIQUES.

Nordiques? I haven't heard one bit of information stating anything of that nature.

Plus, they'd need to get a new arena before they could even contend for a team. The colisee is crap.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
no13matssundin said:
just remember... im being theoretical here, So dont shoot me :)

*Bang*

Where's Pittsburgh in all of that :-P Everyone just loves to hate on Pittsburgh don't they.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Ismellofhockey said:
The story going around in the province of Quebec is that previous part-owner Marcel Aubut (the one who sold the team in the first place) has identified the next few years as a suitable time to revive the Nords. The logic being that Quebec City will celebrate its 400th birthday in 2008 and will probably revamp its image for the occasion. That could mean revamping facilities to attract concerts, sports...etc. A new arena could easily be built for that occasion and Marcel Aubut says he would be interested in investing in an NHL franchise for the city.

On top of that the opposition mayor has said that if elected he would put Quebec City back on the map, municipal financing and tax credits would make an arena a lot easier, Winnipeg's arena was built with only $150M in private funds according to Aubut.

winnipeg's arena (the mts centre) was financed as follows:

$ 40.5 million public funding
$ 33.0 million private investment
$ 60.0 million mortgage

it cost $ 133.5 million to build

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
Just for the heck of it: Heres a 32 team league we might see in the next 10 years if, for some reason, expansion does happen and roster sizes go down to 20 (probably will never happen)... just remember... im being theoretical here, So dont shoot me :)

northwest
vancouver canucks
calgary flames
edmonton oilers
winnipeg jets

northeast
toronto mapleleafs
ottawa senators
montreal canadiens
quebec nordiques

atlantic
boston bruins
new york rangers
new york islanders
new jersey devils

mideast
philadelphia flyers
columbus bluejackets
buffalo sabres
cleveland ice dogs

midwest
detroit redwings
chicago blackhawks
milwaukee chiefs
minnesota wild

southeast
kansas city scouts
st. louis blues
atlanta thrashers
tampa bay lightning

southwest
dallas stars
colorado avalanche
utah saints
phoenix coyotes

pacific
san jose sharks
los angeles kings
portland mighty ducks
seattle eagles

was a thread like this awhile back, can't find my old post, but we came up with some interesting ideas

north west: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg

pacific: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Phoenix

Center west: Dallas, Colorado, St Louis, Minnesota

Midwest: Detroit, Chicago, Columbus, Nashville

North east: Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa

atlantic: NYR, NYI, Boston, NJ

central east: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, Buffalo

south east: Florida, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Carolina

the rivalries that could be made or carried on would be insane

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
no13matssundin said:

northwest
vancouver canucks
calgary flames
edmonton oilers
winnipeg jets

northeast
toronto mapleleafs
ottawa senators
montreal canadiens
quebec nordiques

atlantic
boston bruins
new york rangers
new york islanders
new jersey devils

mideast
philadelphia flyers
columbus bluejackets
buffalo sabres
cleveland ice dogs

midwest
detroit redwings
chicago blackhawks
milwaukee chiefs
minnesota wild

southeast
kansas city scouts
st. louis blues
atlanta thrashers
tampa bay lightning

southwest
dallas stars
colorado avalanche
utah saints
phoenix coyotes

pacific
san jose sharks
los angeles kings
portland mighty ducks
seattle eagles

Good Grief!!! Are you serious? You are going to put Milwaukee in the NHL and remove Washington? Are you nuts? They may not be your favorite team but they are almost always in the top half of the league in revenue and they are the 8th largest market in the USA. There is no way that you remove the Capitals from the NHL.

You are going to put Tampa in the same division as Kansas City and St Louis? the travel just doesn't work there. Its a killer. That is why the Panthers are where they are. You are going to take Florida, Raleigh and Washington out of Tampa's division and replace them with Kansas City and St Louis? won't work

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I've said it once and I'll say it again
no way the NHL ever has 32 teams (which would be 2 more than the popular leagues of MLB and NBA)

even with more Euros, they're not enough quality players out there to fill the rosters.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Teams don't share playoff revenue do they? That's not a valid argument.

The TV money they share, but there's none of that anyway until they find a way to build up a Rangers-Kings thing or something. The US TV market may not come around for another 20+ years and who cares?

As long as hockey in Canada and the small markets is competitive and the Red Wings can't sling pizzas at everyone and the Avs not make everyone perform slave labor (Walmart, eh?) every year, I'm down.

Slave labor hockey, never thought I'd see the day...

Vic Rattlehead*

OlTimeHockey said:
Quebec? But they're french?!?!? (j/k.....everyone loves France)

Excuse me, France has nothing to do with Quebec anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad