NHL Expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If there is a salary cap....rumors have been circulating about the return of the Nordiques....

Winnipeg would likely get their team back as well dontcha think?

I'd like to see them expand into new markets with a cap, cut the roster size, reduce the amount of games and focus on regional rivalries again.

When Phoenix comes to Montreal, it's like a fly in your soup...I wanna see the Leafs or the Bruins, or the NORDIQUES.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Quebec? But they're french?!?!? (j/k.....everyone loves France)

No new teams. Buy an existing one and move it or sign a declaration that you will only have AHL fodder on the roster so as to ensure the fans of teams who survived don't have to watch hockey get even worse.

I'll sell you the Ranger$ for $1M cash right now.....

make checks payable to cash and send to:
Vinny Bagadonuts
Grand Central Station
Electrical breaker room
New York, NY 10022

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
raketheleaves said:
If there is a salary cap....rumors have been circulating about the return of the Nordiques....

I'd like to see them expand into new markets with a cap, cut the roster size, reduce the amount of games and focus on regional rivalries again.

When Phoenix comes to Montreal, it's like a fly in your soup...I wanna see the Leafs or the Bruins, or the NORDIQUES.
I haven't heard any rumors about the nordiques coming back. This isnt Quebec City hearsay, is it?

The first two cities to get NHL franchises if a team ever moves or there is (god forbid) more expansion would be Kansas City, as they have been looking to build a new arena with an NHL or NBA franchise, and Houston which looks to be capable of hosting its own franchise with it's success with the Aeros.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Quebec City hearsay......like when the Nordique get back, they'll separate from English Canada and invade Germany (WWII was a ruse to make the German's cocky).

(I have nothing against French-which is a great dressing and bread in its own right-just a lot of people who happen to speak it better than myself)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
futurcorerock said:
I haven't heard any rumors about the nordiques coming back. This isnt Quebec City hearsay, is it?

The first two cities to get NHL franchises if a team ever moves or there is (god forbid) more expansion would be Kansas City, as they have been looking to build a new arena with an NHL or NBA franchise, and Houston which looks to be capable of hosting its own franchise with it's success with the Aeros.

I highly doubt KC will ever get an NHL franchise...didn't tey have the Scouts in the 70s?
I doubt they get another chance like Atlanta or Colorado

FangFingers

Apr 6, 2005
Does Quebec City and Winnepeg have the necessary corporate sponsorship, will they bring a new TV market? In other words, what would they bring other than butts in the seats?

Nothing they didnt have earlier.

The future of the NHL lies in the development of the new markets, whereever they are, not in bring back old ones.

Id like to see Winnepeg back though.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I'll sign on if they bring back John Ziegler (or anyone else) beforehand so we don't have 33 teams and a wealthy weasel in Manhattan. And old goalie pad sizing. And wood sticks. And Gordie Howe for when Hartford takes the 'Canes back.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
This is a bad idea, although I'm all for relocation of a couple teams (need be of course) provided Quebec and Winnipeg can sustain a healthy franchise under a new CBA.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
e-townchamps said:
I highly doubt KC will ever get an NHL franchise...didn't tey have the Scouts in the 70s?
Does your doubt come with some news articles to say otherwise? There's pelnty of reason to suspect Kansas City would get another franchise, as they would have no other competition from an NBA team. Their only competition is with the Chiefs, and the Bluejackets prove that it can coexist in a football-only town.

I mean, there's a group trying to secure a franchise from either the NBA or the NHL and they were actively courting the Ducks franchise before it was sold to the Pond's ownership group. If the buck had turned, you wouldve seen the Ducks in

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
raketheleaves said:

Doesn't April Fools end at Midnight on April 1st ??

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
kerrly said:
This is a bad idea, although I'm all for relocation of a couple teams (need be of course) provided Quebec and Winnipeg can sustain a healthy franchise under a new CBA.

As will every other team in the NHL......that would make any relocation moot.

jaws

Mar 12, 2005
Stittsvegas
e-townchamps said:

Considering the NHL did give those cities another chance, don't you think there willing to do so again? Heck, not only did those cities get a second chance, but so did Minny, and if were talkin about ol'time/all time NHL included, they went back to Pit, Phily, St. Louis, California, and there also back in Ohio too. You can also toss in Ottawa for that matter.

If the NHL goes anywhere though, it'll definitly be Kansas City. There are three teams on the bubble, the Pens, LA, and believe it or not Columbus. One, or all teams could be leaving within the next few years.

This is what I found on the Kansas City thing, I got this from the internet a long time ago, I'll post the link but I'm pretty sure its dead.

07.23.04, 9:42 AM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Sprint Corp. on Thursday committed to paying $62.5 million over 25 years for the rights to name a new arena proposed for downtown Kansas City.

The full payment is contingent on officials of Kansas City and developer Anschutz Entertainment Group attracting an NBA or NHL franchise to use the arena. If that doesn't happen, Sprint's payment would decrease from $2.5 million a year to about $1.7 million annually.

But Gary Forsee, Sprint's chairman and CEO, said he didn't expect that to be a problem.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/fe...2004_07_22_-----_7248-4924-Sprint-Arena..html

For those that don't know, Anschutz is the guy that runs the Kings. As for the info I got for the three teams being on the bubble, I got that from a former Sens marketing guy.

jacketracket*

jaws said:
If the NHL goes anywhere though, it'll definitly be Kansas City. There are three teams on the bubble, the Pens, LA, and believe it or not Columbus. One, or all teams could be leaving within the next few years.
Nice job. And nice supporting agument, BTW.

Kind of nullifies the accuracy of any other information/argument that might have been present in the rest of the post.

Oh ... I believe you, Nostradumass. :rolleyes:

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
jaws said:

As for the info I got for the three teams being on the bubble, I got that from a former Sens marketing guy.

Err uhh... maybe your "source" should recheck his info concerning a couple of those teams. Especially the the BJ's. Yikes! :eek:

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
more teams = less playoff revenue to go around/harder for teams to make playoffs (bad for fan interest in weak markets)

Paisano*

The only bubble the CBJ are on is the playoff bubble. The team is staying in Cbus. LA aint going anywhere either. Your Sens source better worry about his own future.

jaws

Mar 12, 2005
Stittsvegas
Hey, I'm just a messager. I didn't believe it either, but you never know. Just because the team gets good crowds doesn't mean they'll stay for ever. Just ask Winnipeg, Quebec, and Minny. I do think the LA and Pens stuff makes more sense, especially with LA's owner putting a rink in KC...

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
jaws said:
Hey, I'm just a messager. I didn't believe it either, but you never know. Just because the team gets good crowds doesn't mean they'll stay for ever. Just ask Winnipeg, Quebec, and Minny. I do think the LA and Pens stuff makes more sense, especially with LA's owner putting a rink in KC...
:huh: When did Winnipeg have good crowds?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
raketheleaves said:

Actually, what you want is to expand into OLD markets. You are looking at the whole regional rivalry thing from a one dimensional point of view. I am sure that Phoenix and Montreal is a fly in your soup. Who would you like Pheonix to play? My guess is that your answer is, "I don't care". That is where your rivalry thing goes off the rails. You are complaining about Pheonix when the maximum number of regular season games they would play in Montreal under the current schedule is one.

If you eliminate the games against Pheonix, then you are eliminating the games against Detroit, Colorado, Calgary, Vancouver and Dallas too. Is that ok with you?
IF you eliminate the games against Pheonix, then you will increase the number of games against Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Carolina, & Washington. Is that what you want?

jacketracket*

jaws said:
The bit of bunkum about the Pens, Kings, and CBJ was in the article you linked (the link doesn't work)?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
tulsytrid1 said:
:huh: When did Winnipeg have good crowds?

also...when did anyone outside of edmonton and calgary give a crap about going to see Winnepeg when they came to town anymore than they do about seeing the Coyotes?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
jaws said:
Theres no way Columbus would be on the outs, sellout crowds in their first two years, and now with a promising crop of youngsters who could be on the cusp of a playoff berth only a year or two removed. I could name 10 teams that would be out of their cities before Columbus would be.

Their first non-sellout game came against the Panthers on a Buckeye Football saturday, the same season in which Ohio State went undefeated and was the eventual national champion. Even Robert Kron couldnt keep the attendance up against that kind of competition.

Keep in mind that Winnipeg and Quebec both had sub-par arenas when in their last few seasons. No suites and essentially minor-league-number seating equals a lack of viable revenue. If they lasted through 03-04, they would have lost a whole lot more money than anyone could even fathom.

As for Minnesota, I called them earlier today and they said that they have a team. :dunno:

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
raketheleaves said:

There will never ever be more then 30 teams in this league -- they already made the mistake of having more then 22 teams. What I've been hoping is that once there's a cap, teams are able to move back to quebec, winnipeg, hartford etc... but there's no way there just going to add teams

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
nyrmessier011 said:
There will never ever be more then 30 teams in this league -- they already made the mistake of having more then 22 teams. What I've been hoping is that once there's a cap, teams are able to move back to quebec, winnipeg, hartford etc... but there's no way there just going to add teams
Easy killer,

the amount of teams in the league could have a minor level of bearing on the NHL, actually. If there are 30 healthy franchises with AHL teams selling out consistently in other cities, there's no reason to halt expansion if theres that level of interest for hockey in other markets.

Granted, we have to get to that one statement "30 healthy franchises" Right now a few franchises are barely out of the hospital, while others are a foot in the grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad