NHL Entry Draft

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
This has been called a very weak draft but due to COVID-19 it’s a complete crapshoot. I was listening to a draft preview and there are a lot of raw players in this draft.
It’s possible this year to get a good player in much later rounds due to lack of ability to scout some players.

Predators have 8 picks

Team needs
Goal scoring (20 plus year need)
Center
Toughness
Defense
Goaltender

Players to hope for at 18
Nikita Chibrikov
Fyodor Svechkov
Logan Stankoven (love that name)
Aatu Raty
Cole Sillinger (maybe in a trade)

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I wouldn't take Räty, but that's my pessimism talking right after hearing about his potential before the covid season and actually seeing what he had to offer.

He isn't a prospect I would pick in the 1st round.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Raty's hype has dropped by a lot. Apparently some don't have even have him as a 2nd rounder. Would hate to draft him at 18, but wouldn't risking it with one of our 2nds.
I included him because he is still talented but his stock has fallen, certainly worth a 2nd round flyer.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I'd take Raty at 39 if he's still there, and I'd likely take Chibs or Svech in this draft currently. I'll be honest though, I haven't really followed these prospects

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Also, I've heard really bad things about the top end talent in this draft from some pundits and posters on the boards from what I have actually read into. Most analysis doesn't include the Preds though because most people don't care about what we want in the draft

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I know it's not considered a great draft... but having the #13 pick in addition to our own would be REALLY NICE.

(i.e. Ellis trade to Philly)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This draft is not really interesting in terms of improving this team. None of those available are going to crack the NHL line up until 2024 at least. Now next year the draft could be important we will likely pick in the top 5 and that is the type talent needed now.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Let me qualify my remarks by admitting that I don't follow the youngsters eligible to be drafted. I do find it interesting that because of Covid and the lack of these youngsters not playing games the automatic assumption by draft experts is that this is a weak draft class. The year that these teenagers have missed playing shouldn't automatically determine they cannot develop. It doesn't negate the fact that they possibly have grown considerably physically, worked on their skills and became more mature. I would assume all it could mean that the easy way out for "experts" is to say it's a weak class because it's hard to properly evaluate them.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Let me qualify my remarks by admitting that I don't follow the youngsters eligible to be drafted. I do find it interesting that because of Covid and the lack of these youngsters not playing games the automatic assumption by draft experts is that this is a weak draft class. The year that these teenagers have missed playing shouldn't automatically determine they cannot develop. It doesn't negate the fact that they possibly have grown considerably physically, worked on their skills and became more mature. I would assume all it could mean that the easy way out for "experts" is to say it's a weak class because it's hard to properly evaluate them.
I believe that scouts have been calling this a weaker draft for years now based on what they’ve seen. I believe that more so refers to the top of the draft and I think the skill present is supposedly around the 2012 draft level just with a lot less certainty in the picks

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yes, as Tysonson3 already stated, you have to be a little bit careful when reading the major media blurbs. There are two distinct factors in play here. 1) the 2021 draft was projected to be weaker LONG before the whole Covid crisis arose. Then on top of that 2) SOME North American players were less-scouted than would be the case in a typical draft year, adding some uncertainty to prospect evaluations.

You kind of have to sift through who the real "experts" are on this. Even if none of this had happened, even the real "experts" could get it wrong, of course, since every draft is uncertain to a fairly high degree. But aside from that caveat, there are two distinct bylines in this one. People watch these players from a long way out, and 2021 was not expected to be a good draft year, even before Covid.

Reactions: Tysonson3

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Most draft experts had this draft as weak for years. The players are still raw and skating is a weakness of most of the players. Covid has hurt scouting of players a lot but some players haven’t played in over a year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad